Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old    rugr            11-14-2004, 5:46 AM Reply   
I know, I know, there are a million threads out there like this, and I know a lot of you will want to reply saying, you can't compare apples to oranges. I know the fit and finish of the Mastercraft are far superior to the Moomba, but I have a few specific questions.

I'm thinking of buying either an 04 Moomba XLV GG Edition loadedm 0 hours, or an 02 Mastercraft X-30 Wakeboard Edition, also loaded, with 150 hours. Both about the same price, 38K range. Problem is, I've looked closely at (and crawled all over) the XLV, only seen pictures of the X-30.

1. The thing I like about the XLV is the SIZE. The X-30, seems a tad smaller 22'8, vs. 23' I've read the XLV drives like a much smaller boat? How is the X-30? Can you really pile 10 people in it?

2. Freeboard (depth). I really like the deep freeboard of the XLV, versus other moomba models. How does the X-30 fair?

3. Wake. I've read the wake on the XLV is rampy, but can be adjusted with the 2,600 lb ballast and the wakeplate. I've also read (waterskimag) that the X-30 wake isn't really affected by ballast. Is it at a disadvantage not having a wakeplate?

4. Deprecitation. The way I see it, most of the "new" depreciation has already occurred on the X-30. I assume not the case with the XLV. Any guesses on what the XLV will be worth in 5 years? vs. the 02 Mastercraft?

5. Maintenance/Services. Is there any difference in cost between services at a Moomba Dealership vs. Mastercraft Dealership?

6. Tower stiffness. The XLV tower is impressive. Any thoughts on the X-30's tower?

Thanks for your comments and advice!