Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-29-2011, 2:32 PM Reply   
My frustration is as much with people who constantly feel sorry for people as much as the actual people that go themselves in the situation.

Am I glad that David is ok? Definately. Am I sorry? absolutely not.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-29-2011, 6:50 PM Reply   
I owned & rode motorcycles for 20 years and did many a stupid thing (especially when young). When I became a dad, I sold the last one. Partly for the small possibility that I might leave them fatherless. Even more-so, I did not want to set an example and have them become interested, especially in street bikes. If they got to owning/riding on their own - fine. But, I could never forgive myself if I helped them into motorcycles and then the worst nightmare happened. Yes, I will admit that I am a total hypocrite when it comes to this (it was a fine hobby for me, but a different story when it comes to my kids). But being a father makes you "see the light" on many issues that you didn't understand before.

That's why, when they reached grade-school age, I bought a boat again - a much safer hobby for my boys and I.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-29-2011, 7:40 PM Reply   
"Cornering is the reason I bought a crotch rocket. I love leaning the bike over in a corner. Most of my riding is twisty roads. Just when I'm going to a destination a lot of people try to race me and I normally accept. Maybe it had to do with a dirtbike helmet and goggles and they don't expect me to kick their ass? Haha"

Eff'n bad a$$ broski.... I remember when i was this awesome and by awesome I mean a complete idiot. This is extremely laughable.

congrats on being the sterotype of a teen "crotch rocket" rider, you bought a bike, went fast a few times, did some awesome wheelies, and totaled your bike.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-29-2011, 7:58 PM Reply   
it was a fine hobby for me, but a different story when it comes to my kids). But being a father makes you "see the light" on many issues that you didn't understand before.

Just because David made poor choices, was poorly trained and too immature to ride a street bike doesn't mean there aren't kids his age that could handle the responsibility.

My son has been riding from the time he was five. He is now ten and regularly rides on a pavement track amongst multiple levels of riders. He does so without incident because he's been carefully coached and brought along with a great deal of parental guidance. I'm confident when he comes of legal age if he chooses to ride a street bike he will be ready both from a maturity level and expertise.
Attached Images

Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-29-2011, 8:06 PM Reply   
Its all in the attitude when it comes to this stuff, "a lot of people try to race me and i normally accept and they dont expect me to kick their a$$", that pretty much sums up this dudes attitude.

Respecting the bike and being humble is the deciding factor here.
Old     (shane97210)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-02-2011, 9:51 AM Reply   
At least he had the humility to come back here and admit that everyone was right. I think that shows that his attitude has been changed slightly from this experience. Live and learn i guess. I'm glad he is ok, but no i don't feel sorry him. This thread is reminder that street bikes need to be respected for me as i just bought my first bike about the same time as him. Fortunately, i waited till i was 35 because i knew i wasn't responsible enough at 18 or even 25.
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-04-2011, 11:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane97210 View Post
At least he had the humility to come back here and admit that everyone was right. I think that shows that his attitude has been changed slightly from this experience. Live and learn i guess.
This. Guarantee he's not the only person here that had this mentality at age 18....I'm willing to bet a lot of, if not majority of us, had a "go fast take chances" attitude at age 18. What matters is that he's ok from this crash, and it seems he's at least somewhat learned from his mistake. Time will tell. I just picked up my first sport bike a week ago, a 2007 Yamaha R6. I've ridden dirtbikes for quite some time, and I STILL just about $h!t my pants when I realized how fast these things can really go. 10k rpm in 1st gear, and you twist that throttle semi-hard, that front wheel will pop RIGHT up. It's a scary amount of power, and I think part of the problem is that a lot of first time riders don't realize it. you can loop yourself in a hurry on these bikes. If it were up to me, a Basic Rider Course would be REQUIRED before purchasing one of these bikes, so that basic knowledge is at least learned and hopefully applied the first time someone rides their sportbike. Helmets would be required by law as well. Why people decide to ride without a helmet is beyond me.

BE CAREFUL, anyone who owns or plans on owning one of these bikes. Not only in your own driving, but also those around you. Too many stupid, distracted drivers out there these days. David....glad you're ok. Take this experience and learn from it.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-04-2011, 1:36 PM Reply   
"My frustration is as much with people who constantly feel sorry for people as much as the actual people that go themselves in the situation."

Now that's kind of weird.

Anyway, I don't wish getting hurt on anyone. No one deserves to be in the hospital, or dead. Like I said, we all made bad choices growing up. Anyone who says they didn't is........well, you know.

Some of us are lucky enough to escape unscathed.