Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (65sanford)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-20-2009, 2:32 PM Reply   
OK, I was inspired by surfdads hollow core transparent build so I put my own twist on it--anyone ever try this? I began with a carboard template of my own design, transferred the outline to a 1" foam cutout(for the future), and proceeded to build a aluminum frame for the core of the board. I intend to wrap the core with clear poly. (lexan) Has anyone tried an aluminum frame before on a board--I have limited fiberglass skills so this seems like a option worthy to try. It is riveted together and will be bonded from the frame to the lexan skin. It also seems very rigid at this time. Any pointers would be appreciated. Not sure about the shape --I hope it works. Here are the initial pics of the build
Upload

Upload

Upload
Old    surfdad            02-20-2009, 3:19 PM Reply   
That is so cool! I love the frame and the princess coloring assistant. :-) I meant to mention in the build thread, that James' buddy Billy, had a wakeboard built like this. An aluminum frame and the clear lexan pop rivited to the bottom.

The vertical rails will make it super grabby, I wonder if you could glue on some half-round wood?

How are you going to manage your fins? I could see a thin piece of flat stock that you that held thru-blots for wakeboard style fins. A little clear silicone around everything and viola!

I love it!

(Message edited by surfdad on February 20, 2009)
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-20-2009, 5:47 PM Reply   
I'm really liking the idea of this whole see through thing. I might be able to see a whole 6-8 inches down at Lake Perris
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       02-20-2009, 6:12 PM Reply   
Probably wouldn't want to see into Elsinore.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-20-2009, 6:48 PM Reply   
Actually I would. I have several pairs of sunglasses & hats there.
Old     (65sanford)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-21-2009, 6:59 AM Reply   
It will only measure about 3/4" thick when completed. I will chemically bond the lexan to the frame to keep it one piece and rigid. for fins, I intend to use aluminum tube glued through the interior with some sort of aluminum flat stock as a backer--my old landlock fins should suffice. Overall the build should only cost about $65. I will get to the build on the edges soon--they will not be vertical though(half round if my idea works like you suggested) I will keep the pics coming as I get them--picking up the lexan on Mon
Old     (konaking)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-21-2009, 7:07 AM Reply   
Great Ideas cant wait to see finished and learn how it rides
Old     (65sanford)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-21-2009, 10:21 AM Reply   
It will be a while before it gets wet--currently snowing and 22 degrees with 24" of ice on the lake--