Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 05, 2004

Old    nakedzombie            03-01-2004, 1:51 PM Reply   
I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of the lake? (Specifically Madrone Cove or Garden Point campgrounds.)

Thanks for your help
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-01-2004, 2:01 PM Reply   
http://www.bullardsbar.com
Old    jetgofish            03-01-2004, 2:02 PM Reply   
Garden Point is awesome go early the hike up is a bitch when the water is low!
Old     (pureliquid)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-01-2004, 7:09 PM Reply   
Duncan,

I'm not sure if you've ever been to Bullards Bar, but if you have not, you will NOT be dissapointed. It takes about 2 hours to get there from where I live, but I find myself there almost every weekend during the spring and summer. The lake is awsome. The water is usually glass. jetgofish is right about camping earlier in the season when the water level is higher. Towards the end of the season it is a hella of a hike back to camp (especially when your tired from a full day of boarding).
Old    jetgofish            03-01-2004, 9:14 PM Reply   
Lemme tell you that hike up the hill to site 16 and 17 with 2500 jello shot sucked
Old    boardfox            03-01-2004, 11:51 PM Reply   
Whats up duncan so where are our reservations
Old     (wakejumper8)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-02-2004, 8:22 AM Reply   
I have not been either but have a trip planned for the end of July. What is the shore camping situation like? I heard there are nice "sandy beaches" but are they nice, or are they smack dab in the middle of the lake where all the traffic is? Are there nice areas for shore camping up the fingers at all? I'm taking a large group of family memebers (some boarders, some not) so I want a safe area to swim and also a nice area to board. Any suggestions?
Old    jetgofish            03-02-2004, 8:39 AM Reply   
Laurie,

Garden Point is the best place to camp, I had camp sites 16 and 17, they are seculuded from the rest of the sites and when the water is high it's out on a point with an awesome view, a small cove and an excellent swimming location! I doubt you will regret it. Shore camping might be a bit harder since you still have to boat in all your good and bring a toilet (portable of course). Garden Point has running water (non-drinkable) and out houses (they stink bad). 16 and 17 offer a lot of shade with awesome views of the lake and it's a great location to the finger for riding. There really isn't a ton of traffic on Bullards it is basically the hidden jewel of Califonia!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-02-2004, 8:44 AM Reply   
Bullards is the nicest lake I've ever boated on. I went when the water level was all the way up to the tree line. It was a sweet trip.
Old     (wakejumper8)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-02-2004, 12:08 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advise Teri! I am so excited to check out this "gem". I've heard amazing things about this place.
Old    murrayair            03-02-2004, 1:09 PM Reply   
I have only been there once, and the water sucked and there were a million boats there. I think I was just unlucky becasue everyone always says it is awesome, and when I went there with some friends last spring to check it out(without a boat) it was all glass. Is there a certain part of the lake that is really good for riding?
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-02-2004, 1:10 PM Reply   
Bullards is a great place the scenery is spectacular. I'd recomend getting to the launch ramps early as parking gets filled up quick. The shoreline mostly rock. There are some places up from the dark day ramp to park and let the kids swim.
Old    jetgofish            03-02-2004, 1:17 PM Reply   
Yah back down the Narrows it's so pretty there! Mini Shasta and warm water... The narrows is the place to go, watch for water falls!!!
Old     (pureliquid)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-02-2004, 2:30 PM Reply   
The best thing about Bullards is that it is never crowded. We went and camped on 4th of July weekend last year, and there was hardly anyone there. The water is always glass and incredibly warm. You will not be dissapointed.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       03-02-2004, 2:49 PM Reply   
I was there 4th of july not last year, but the year before and while it was a little crowded during the day, the mornings until around 10:30 or 11 and the evenings until dark were great.

The trek up the hill to the campground on the island was tough though.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-02-2004, 3:15 PM Reply   
I love the color of the water.

Old    jetgofish            03-02-2004, 3:30 PM Reply   
so now that we all have a common intrest in Bullards Bar, why not all get together for a kick butt camping trip????
Old    murrayair            03-02-2004, 3:47 PM Reply   
No kidding, Jetgofish. Let's go!
Old    jetgofish            03-02-2004, 3:50 PM Reply   
Well I'm game any time, let get the ball rollin.

Camping doesn't open until sometime in April, depending on how early every one wants to go we should get this started.

I'm also planning a 4 day house boat trip on New Melones that I'll be looking for intrested parties as well. That's set for June 4-7!!!!

Lets ROCK Bullards and Melones!
Old     (pureliquid)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-02-2004, 4:22 PM Reply   
Nice pics J-Rod. Your right, you can't beat the color of that water. I'm gettin the itch. I just heard on the news that it's going to be in the 70's next week here in Sac. It's about time to go.

Jetgofish. A big camping trip at Bullards would be great. I'm in, if we can get it planned.
Old    jetgofish            03-02-2004, 4:26 PM Reply   
I'll get it going, how's May sound??? Or do we want to go sooner, I'm down for April too!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-02-2004, 4:39 PM Reply   
Sounds good to me. I'll check with my crew to see if my buddy (the boat owner) wants to go.
Old     (pureliquid)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-02-2004, 4:50 PM Reply   
Anytime is good for me.
Old    cmm83            03-02-2004, 5:33 PM Reply   
Where is this? Like City/State.
Old    jetgofish            03-02-2004, 6:36 PM Reply   
Bullards Bar is out of Grass Valley, CA
Old    buttacup            03-02-2004, 6:41 PM Reply   
SUMMER SUMMER SUMMER
Old    grampawakerider            03-02-2004, 6:57 PM Reply   
That place looks great. I'm about 6 hrs from it and want to go anyway. If camping is closed, what about local lodging?
Old    jetgofish            03-02-2004, 7:23 PM Reply   
Lynsey ... summer, hell SPRING SPRING SPRING... (but oh yah I've had one weekend off the water so far this year)

Mark, I'll start planning for April a trip to Bullards
Old    walt            03-02-2004, 7:37 PM Reply   
Wont it be a little chilly at night in April ?
Old    jetgofish            03-02-2004, 7:41 PM Reply   
That's what jello shots and camp fires are for.

Old    jetgofish            03-02-2004, 7:42 PM Reply   
I'm sure to all of us single people can keep each other warm.

Lyns...I forgot to mention that I don't swing that way....
Old    grampawakerider            03-02-2004, 7:45 PM Reply   
April sounds good to me. Couldn't possibly be any cooler than Feb was. I've made it out almost every weekend this year and actually since summer. I took this stuff up in July '03. Whats the current water temp there anyways?

(Message edited by grampawakerider on March 02, 2004)
Old    murrayair            03-02-2004, 8:28 PM Reply   
April sounds good to me too. Can't wait!
Old    jetgofish            03-02-2004, 8:30 PM Reply   
schaweet, would you guys like to do the boat in camping or stick with a site or two at Dark Day. The boat in camping is the best and much nicer.

I'll check the calendar tomorrow and start planning. Camping season opens April second, so I'm thinking mid April doing the boat in deal. I'll need to get a head count to....we can start firming things tomorrow!
Old    murrayair            03-02-2004, 8:41 PM Reply   
I have no preference where we camp. As long as we're riding all day I'll be happy!
Old    norcal_99            03-02-2004, 9:50 PM Reply   
J-Rod said, "Bullards is the nicest lake I've ever boated on."

I concur.
Old    buttacup            03-02-2004, 9:54 PM Reply   
I would never bat for the pink team, I was being sarcastic.

Anyhow, Well plan a trip in April but we should plan one in summer too. I can't get Sat's off until I start working full time.
Old    norcal_99            03-02-2004, 10:01 PM Reply   
Teri, Will you be able to ride in April? I thought you had a torn meniscus and/or ACL.

Old     (pureliquid)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-02-2004, 10:19 PM Reply   
Let's do this!!!!!!
Old    jetgofish            03-03-2004, 11:26 AM Reply   
Rene - Right now I am trying to get approval from my insurance for an MRI. This amazingly takes 2 weeks. Once I get authorization it will take another 2 weeks to get in. After the MRI, it will take 3-4 weeks for a reading (which is total crap) so we are now looking at 2 months (Mid-May). Depending on what the MRI says I will then be sent to the orthopedic which will take 2 weeks to get in to see him (June time frame) He will then want to do whatever and most likely schedule surgery (this could be from July Sept time frame). If that is the case I will then delay surgery until November.

I rode last weekend, first time since V-day felt really good only suffered a little soreness on Monday and yesterday I headed to the gym for some strength training and rollerblading. Today I'm a little on the soreside, but nothing major!

Doctor said that snowboarding for the season is probably over but to wake with caution and to work out with caution, no running or jumping. Kinda hard to do that when I am doing the police thing too!!! Any how my quads are in superb shape and should the ACL be ruptured that is what is holding me together. I have to be careful as to not get hit in the knee from the side, but 2 weeks off did me good. I wouldn't say I am fine but I wouldn't say am 100% broken either...it's just common sense and proceedind with CAUTION...

So guys and gals I'm thinking April 10 and 11 for camping????

(Message edited by jetgofish on March 03, 2004)
Old     (gently27)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-03-2004, 12:39 PM Reply   
Jetgofish - Hey, I'm sending you an e-mail. I have a boat/crew, but they're all from Sactown. Trying to be friendly and meet some fellow boarders / jello-shooters while not trying to sound weird....
I've heard of Bullard's bar, but never knew it was as good as the pics. I do houseboating trips (Shasta), Icehouse, Fourth of July (Tahoe) and Almanor trips witha group of about 30-40 - mostly from Sac....
Anyways....I'll give the skinny in the e-mail...
-Jason
Old    jetgofish            03-03-2004, 12:54 PM Reply   

Dates : April 9 - 11
Where : Either Dark Day Group site or Garden Point

Let me know if who's in, campsites need to be reserved!!!
Old     (pureliquid)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-03-2004, 3:22 PM Reply   
Jetgofish - Is Garden Point the boat-in camping site?
Old    jetgofish            03-03-2004, 3:31 PM Reply   
Bigg D - it sho is...These are the only sites close to water, everything else is off the water and out of view from the lake. Depending on the # of people, we might be better off at a group site, then again these are still off the water and we will have to deal with launches every day!
Old     (pureliquid)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-03-2004, 3:44 PM Reply   
Sounds good. I am definitely in. How do we work out payment for the sites. Or will we reserve our own sites individually? Can't wait!!!!
Old    jetgofish            03-03-2004, 3:47 PM Reply   
I'm thinking depending on the number of people I can reserve the sites. Right now the we can fit 24 people in the sites I'm looking at, the others are a bit away, but always can be reserved and we can bounce around the sites. Last time I went the two sites worked out good. We can do many different options. I kick you a pm this evening with my thoughts...
Old    grampawakerider            03-03-2004, 6:52 PM Reply   
I think we need a chat room or this........If I go, I'd be coming up from Santa Maria, and if I do, the whole crew will want to go too. But I can trim that down to me plus two or four. How many people are we looking at going? Is the lake big enough that we can run 4,5,6 boats at the same time and all have great water?
Old     (liquidforce)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-03-2004, 7:03 PM Reply   
J rod is that second pic at bullards bar.........if so where on the like is it
Old     (pureliquid)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-03-2004, 9:15 PM Reply   
Mark - Bullards is definitley big enough for all of our boats (with plenty of glass for everyone).
Old    jetgofish            03-03-2004, 9:30 PM Reply   
Mark ...and all we are actually going to have to change the dates, the 9 thru 11 is Easter weekend. I'm thinking to just do it the next weekend. I'm not in front of a calendar here but I think it's like the 17th.

Bullards is by far big enough ... the number of people doesn't matter, I'm thinking the more the marrier, however if that's the case I will need to look at getting the group sites unless we all just take over the garden point camp grounds....

I can set something up to pay thru pay pals or we can reserve sight on our own. Bigg D/Mark feel free to ping me on the Yahoo Messenger if you have it, if not we can figure something else out! I don't want to exclude any one from this trip!!! How many is the entire crew Mark?
Old     (delta_glass)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-04-2004, 9:46 AM Reply   
http://www.wakepics.com/member/The_DBP

The first 30 or 40 pictures are of Bullards Bar this past summer in Sept. Hands down my favorite Lake in CA.

-Evan
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-04-2004, 10:31 AM Reply   
cool pics. Looks like your Sanger throws a sweet wake too.
Old    grampawakerider            03-04-2004, 5:52 PM Reply   
I'd say probably seven. 6 riders and one more to hold the flag. Thats all in my immediate family. Only 5 will ride if the waters even a hint of being chilly though. Hopefully by then I can be landing a w2w. I plan on making that this weekend. ( Separated a shoulder trying it about 6 weeks ago. Its caused a mental block, but all feels fine in the shoulder.)
Old     (trojanman)      Join Date: May 2002       03-05-2004, 10:38 AM Reply   
hey guys... how far is it from la.. when i saw the segment in the mag I knew i would have to make a trip there some day... I am definetely in.. itll be me my boat... and at least 2-3 others.. die hard riders... lets rock that lake..
Old    jetgofish            03-05-2004, 11:33 AM Reply   
Josh, not sure....how long is it to Sac? Add an hour East!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-05-2004, 11:35 AM Reply   
I so definately want to go there. I heard about that place a few years back and it sounds so nice!! If people are planning a camping trip in the summer I'd love to join in, school's too crazy to think about booking out quarter. Lynsey, I'm thinking on your way up you can come get me, hint, hint! this is the one of two places that everytime I think about eventually buying a boat I picture it there(the other is Powell). Have fun!
Old    jetgofish            03-05-2004, 11:36 AM Reply   
you guys can bet that we will be making a later date to the lake too! It's an awesome place but boat in camping sucks after August
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-05-2004, 11:49 AM Reply   
You don't know how much time I've spent at lake Havasu/Colorado River. I can guarantee that Bullards doesn't get 125+ degrees. I'm sure it's hot, but I can hang. I'll sleep in the damn water if I have to, I've done it before. Lawn chair half submerged, good sleepin'!
Old    jetgofish            03-05-2004, 1:04 PM Reply   
Stephan, check your email!
Old     (pureliquid)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-05-2004, 2:18 PM Reply   
Joshua - I did a quick search on mapquest from LA to Dobbins, Ca. (the nearest town from Bullards) and it came back at 7hrs and 30min and about 450 miles.

(Message edited by pureliquid on March 05, 2004)
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-05-2004, 8:16 PM Reply   
D I did the same thing and nearly brick. But then again I guess it's close to Tahoe so that sounds about right.

Teri I got it and will respond soon.
Old     (trojanman)      Join Date: May 2002       03-07-2004, 1:10 AM Reply   
not too bad i guess.... that is a hell of a way to tow a boat though.. hmmm.. dilema....screw it.. lets go
Old    grampawakerider            03-07-2004, 8:12 AM Reply   
Teri-
How soon do you need responses? I have to arrange for time off.
Old    jetgofish            03-07-2004, 6:33 PM Reply   
Joshua, I'm stoked that you and your crew will be making the drive up! Based on responses I think I'm going to shoot for a group site.

Mark...the sooner the better but if it's short notice I totally understand! No worries. As mentioned I'm going for a group site now due to the number of people unless I hear other wise from every one. Reason being is this the two sites I am looking at getting are pretty set away from most other sites and the max number we can get into the site is 24 people. We have people coming up at all different times and I don't want some one to be left on the dock. No matter what this is going to be a great trip...

Joshua did I send you out the evite?
Old    marina            03-08-2004, 4:50 PM Reply   
teri- who are you driving up with? i figured we could meet up and go if you want....i've got more than enough room for our stuff in my car. i was thinking we could make some jello shots again, considering we don't have to hike up that hill this year.
Old    jetgofish            03-09-2004, 8:13 AM Reply   
Marina not really sure what my deal is! In the next few weeks I'll be trying to adjust my schedule so that I am working 4-10's. This way I have Friday's off. If not then hopefully I can work something where I get off on noon on Friday!

I'll try and give you a shout later this week, I have a ton of things I'm sorting out and I've been a little MIA lately!

I'm so so looking forward to the Bullards trip and that hike up the hill!!! Na, no hike. Weather should be awesome and the water should be high, according to my evite so far we have 20+ people coming and another 15 or so on the maybe list!!!

LOOK OUT BULLARD'S

(Message edited by jetgofish on March 09, 2004)
Old     (pureliquid)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-17-2004, 10:55 AM Reply   
Hey Teri, any update on the camping trip plans? Are we still on for 04-17
Old    jetgofish            03-17-2004, 11:00 AM Reply   
Yep we are on and it's a go. I have 16 people that are for sure in, another 16 people who are maybes....Let's spread the word. I'll be calling this week to reserve a site. Since we have so many people coming up at different times I'm going to get either a group site or a few sites at Dark Day, this way we won't have to worry about having to meet people at the docks and yada yada yada. Boat in sites are the bomb, but are hard to locate at night and for those that have never been to the lake before! Unless ya'll sway me different!

So right now things are a go for April 17 and 18 at BULLARDS BAR
Old    jetgofish            03-23-2004, 8:25 AM Reply   
Just wanted to let every one know we are still planning a trip to Bullards Bar. We will be there April 17 and 18!

If any one is intrested in coming please let me know!
Old    jetgofish            04-05-2004, 3:43 PM Reply   
Just wanted to hit you all with an update....

Bullards is still on!
Old    swpmwinc            04-06-2004, 10:44 AM Reply   
Bullards has lots of debris right now be carefull the lake has not been swept yet.Water temps are starting to rise.
Old    jetgofish            04-06-2004, 10:47 AM Reply   
Thanks for the FYI, we are going the 16, 17 and 18th!
Old    swpmwinc            04-06-2004, 11:02 AM Reply   
We should be there at least one day that weekend. We will be there on easter sunday also. I will let you know how the the water is then.
Hopefully the will sweep the lake soon. hope you have a good trip. Look for a white and black Calabria Pro-V while you are there and give a shout out.
Later Sean
Old     (markfromtexas)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-06-2004, 11:22 AM Reply   
by the looks of it last year, they never "swept" the lake, are you sure they do that at bullards?
Old    swpmwinc            04-06-2004, 11:32 AM Reply   
Yea they do you will see large piles of wood up on the shore in some of the coves that is were the sweep them to and then they burn in the winter. There is alot of debris coming up right now. 30 years ago when they built the dam they did not log the land.They just cut it down and chained it down to the bottom. Well now the chains are starting to rust and break. I should not say "now" they have been breaking for years. Last year really was not that bad I have seen much worse.
Old     (markfromtexas)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-07-2004, 9:35 AM Reply   
thanks for the knowledge, guess we're the ones to pay for their ineptitude and lazy way of doing things. Last year it was a mess, but the water was worth it
Old     (millah)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-07-2004, 1:01 PM Reply   
Lookin forward to the trip out there next weekend. Mark, we need to try and get off somewhat early on Friday if possable and/or pack eveything the night before. Teri, I changed my e-vite responce to show how many will be coming w/us. Oh yeah starting to make jello shots this weekend.
Old    jetgofish            04-13-2004, 9:55 AM Reply   
ok all need a consensus here, weather is calling for a CHANCE of showers this weekend. Who's still in on the Bullards deal?
Old    norcal_99            04-13-2004, 9:57 AM Reply   
Don't puss out just because of a little rain.
Old    jetgofish            04-13-2004, 10:37 AM Reply   
I'm not pussin out, others are! So Rene does this mean you are in?????