Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old    indyracers10199            08-15-2004, 6:39 AM Reply   
Which Mastercraft is better the X-Star or the X-2.

Thanks
Old     (rschrock)      Join Date: May 2004       08-15-2004, 8:26 AM Reply   
I think you need to further define "better" Ryan. I own an X-2 and it's the Mastercraft that best associates to my needs. I wanted to keep my boat at home in my garage; the X-2 is a little smaller. I had set my budget for the boat, insurance, options, etc.; the X-2 fit nicely into those catagories. I knew how many people I would usually be taking out; the X-2's size met those requirements. Etc., etc., etc.

They are both excellent boats and have excellent wakes. While the X-Star was built to be Mastercrafts premier wakeboarding boat, I would assume professionals gravitate to that boat for that reason.
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-15-2004, 3:08 PM Reply   
i feel that the x-2 wake is a better wake the boat does better anmd gas and it takes less weight to get a bigger wake out of the x-2. The x-star is bigger and a little more plush
Old    gobiggrom54            08-15-2004, 4:14 PM Reply   
My opinion is that the x2 is much better than the x star. My family owns an x2 and i've ridden behind the x star a couple times and i really didn't like it. The wake on the x star isn't steep at all, it's like long, flat, wide, and it has no kick. It's also way too wide, when you're in it you don't feel like your in a boat, the one i was in had no carpet so it felt like a was in a huge bath tub. I really didn't like it. The x2 however is an AWESOME boat. The wake is pretty steep and lippy, it's a fun boat to drive, it's really nice and comfortable inside. I've ridden behind a SAN and i've ridden behind other wakeboard boats also and i can say that even though there's no wake like the SAN's wake, the X2's wake is the most similar to it out of the other boat's wakes. Also, why do you think you see so many more people with x2's than x stars?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-15-2004, 5:11 PM Reply   

quote:

Also, why do you think you see so many more people with x2's than x stars?

cause it's 20k cheaper.
Old    sk8joe01            08-15-2004, 5:17 PM Reply   
the x2 is narrower, thus takes less weight to sink deeper into the water throwing a beter wake. wakes from narrower boats dont tend to get wide as quick either so generally you can ride a longer line. that and ya, cuase its 20k cheaper.
Old    gobiggrom54            08-15-2004, 8:11 PM Reply   
the quote was a semi joke
Old    wakelvr            08-15-2004, 9:06 PM Reply   
I have ridden in and behind both and I would take the X2 over the Star without a doubt. I will ditto the usual... less gas, less weight for a great wake, better handling, I like the coziness of the X2, and I prefer the wake of the X2. I can see why these opinions are just that though... it's all preference. They are both great boats but are too different to compare!
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-15-2004, 9:41 PM Reply   
I saw an '05 X-2 at cope's today and was very impressed with it. I really like the new tower with the swivel board rack. Makes getting your board easy even with the bimini up. Looks like they've changed to a new type of vinyl that is the heaviest most durable stuff I've ever seen.
I can't wait to demo one with the "throttle by wire" to see what that feels like.
Looks like the SAN might go up for sale.
Old    wakelvr            08-15-2004, 9:45 PM Reply   
For any of you who haven't seen the wake on the Xstar fully loaded, I did a video a while back on the boat and wake. I got a really good shot of the wake in the first 20 secs of the video. Also, about 1/4 the way through the video I got a good shot of us U-turning in a narrow channel at full throttle. The Star handled really well for being a big boat.

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=9515

The new 05 X2 does look appealing! Hmmmm.....
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-16-2004, 7:05 AM Reply   
Hey Stefani, how much on top of ballast and how many peps did you run in the X-Star in the video?

I have only had a chance to ride behind an X-Star with ballast only and 4 people on board, and wasn't all that impressed. Rode our X2 the next day nicely weighted, so not exactly fair comparison, but was soooo thankful to have that boat...

It may be that the X-Star wake is great if you load it up a ton, but to me that was sort of the point of that hull, to not have to?

Fredrik
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-16-2004, 10:36 AM Reply   
i own an x-star and it is by far the best boat i have ever been on. i been behind a x-2,x-10,x-30 wakesetter,san,b-52,mobius vlx and this is the best wake i have ever ridden on
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-16-2004, 5:21 PM Reply   
there you go matt protect your I would!!!
Old    wakelvr            08-16-2004, 5:47 PM Reply   
Fredrik,

There were only four of us out that day. From what I recall, we had an extra 1800lbs in the boat (3 600lb fat sacs) on top of the stock ballasts.
Old     (jjared)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-16-2004, 6:03 PM Reply   
Comparing stock to stock the X2 is a better wake IMHO. I've ridden many times with just stock. You add 8 people and another 1500lbs in sacs and get ready to be rocked on the X-Star. Then again, put all that in my X2 and it will throw a huge wake as well. The biggest difference is the double up. I can't believe how large they are on the X-Star. A friend of mine with the X-Star threw one that was so huge the rider faceplanted standing up...just smack straight into the wake standing up and it burried him.

I'd like to prop one down with an Acme instead of the stock OJ and take it for a spin.

(Message edited by jjared on August 16, 2004)
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-17-2004, 1:50 PM Reply   
Thanks Stefani, that gives the video coordinates.

John, I agree on the DU, even at ballast only it was very nice.