Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (fastcrazyhurt)      Join Date: May 2007       06-19-2007, 10:22 PM Reply   
i just bought a sanger v215 and am picking it up on friday. i was wondering what is the best way to get the most weight? it comes with two hard tanks in the rear and a bag in the front that equals a total of 700lbs. the dealer said for 800.00 i could get two bags in the rear to replace the hard tanks and the total would be 1000lbs is it worth it or should i put in my own bags later and get even more weight? thanks for the help
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-19-2007, 10:40 PM Reply   
James I have the 05 V215 with the triple ballast.

I run 4 50lbs bags of sand on each side, 2 laying flat in the rear compartments, 2 by each battery, then I have 50 in each front compartment, and 1 85lbs brick in the nose that I can move left or right to clean the wake if needed. and 1 additional 600lbs sack for the days we have brass!

With that the wake is plenty huge, but you can always add more. You will need to repitch the stock prop if you add alot more for a better hole shot.
Old     (fastcrazyhurt)      Join Date: May 2007       06-20-2007, 7:49 AM Reply   
so is sand the best way to go? how much per bag of sand? what kind of brick do you have pics? does the brick hurt the boat in any way? do you have pics of your wake?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-20-2007, 8:07 AM Reply   
your own bags. I'm always amazed at what dealers charge for ballast system work. Taking out the tanks shouldn't be hard and if you can work a water hose you can put the new bags in. piece o' cake.

the "brick" is a small ballast bag. 85 lbs i think. doesn't hurt it. For solid weight, some folks are using lead (tire weights usually) in some type of container, sand bags, concrete, steel. just depends on what you have access to.

Construction sand bags hold about 60lbs of sand. They're easy to move around. Personally, i have about 300lbs of lead in canvas bags. they weigh about 40lbs each and work great. small, easy to move.

do some searching on here or be creative. if its heavy, it will work. have fun.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-20-2007, 9:28 AM Reply   
I got the 50lbs bags of sand for 3 bones each at home depot. "The Brick" is a smalll ballast bag as nacho said. I use sand because it was cheap, easy and works great.

Lead here in Wa is hard to get, atleast around my area. They talk all green and stuff, tire sops have to account for their lead and turn it in , for a profit of course. I even offered to buy it. Same for the local gun ranges.

Its just not cast effective for me to buy it online when compared to sand right now.

my bags in the bags compartment you can't even see. they are plastic bag wrapped,duct taped then a wool blacket wrapped around them on the deck. They don't take up much room at all.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-20-2007, 9:30 AM Reply   
I agree with nacho, I would'nt pay a dealorship for something I could do, I also believe your triple is more than 700lbs, Gary who is a local on these boards knows the exact weight.
Old     (michael_h)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-20-2007, 9:46 AM Reply   
my stock is 1,078 put it on a scale
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-20-2007, 9:52 AM Reply   
naw, did you really? I have a friend who did that weighting going to the lake at truck scales then returning home with fulll ballast.
Old     (michael_h)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-20-2007, 9:55 AM Reply   
yes theres a scale 5 min from my house.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-20-2007, 10:06 AM Reply   
so about 1100 for a stock triple? I was always wondering the true weight..
Old     (zipe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-20-2007, 10:32 AM Reply   
You will find that most V215 owners will run about an additional 1K of weigh over stock. I have a 250 sack in each rear locker and 440 of pop bags in the bow, 80 of pop bags mid ship. Luckily my boat lives on the hoist, otherwise I would plumb the sacks in (do a search, there are plenty of threads on how to do it yourself). You just spent $40K something on a new boat, don't try and cut corners and go the cheapo route trying to get the extra weight. Been there, done that with my first boat, wish I would have just spent the money in the first place on good sacks, pumps and pop bags, which I now have.

Here is the link for pop bags. Everyone I know that has them loves them.

http://www.pop-products.com/

Congrats on the new boat!
Old     (fastcrazyhurt)      Join Date: May 2007       06-20-2007, 10:47 AM Reply   
so if i bought 800lbs of pop bags that would be a good way to go then just put 300lbs in back and 500 in front and i should be good to go or should i buy bigger bags to replace the hard tanks in the back and use less pop bags. for 800lbs pop bags it cost $700
Old     (fastcrazyhurt)      Join Date: May 2007       06-20-2007, 10:47 AM Reply   
shawn do you have any pics?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-20-2007, 10:50 AM Reply   
Great product! Shipping pop bags is where i ran into a problem.

james, post some pics of your ride!
Old     (zipe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-20-2007, 11:02 AM Reply   
I will see if I can snap some pics. Assuming that you are pulling you boat out each day, both dead weight (pop bags/lead/sand) and water ballast both have their pros and cons. Water is easier to fill, but takes more time,with dead weight, you have to load it in and out of the boat each time and in and out of your truck when you get home, however, dead weight takes up much less space (which I have not found to be an issue on the V215)...all depends on what your priorities are as far as ease and space.

The V215 pumps are pretty quick (in my opinion), so if I had do dump weight each day, I personally would pull the rear tanks, replace them with 500lb bags on each side and run 500 of pop bags in the bow, that way you don't have to deal with any external sacks and pumps.

All of my pop bags fit under the two side bow seats and under the playpen cushion, so they are out of sight and out of mind. Everybody has their own system, just my two cents!
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-20-2007, 11:06 AM Reply   
POP bags are great but shipping was also a problem on my end. sand is cheap and easy for you to experiment with weight so you don't over buy or under buy when you look at actual bags or pop bags.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-20-2007, 11:07 AM Reply   
Shawn whats your set-up?
Old     (zipe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-20-2007, 11:32 AM Reply   
I believe that they tack on a few bucks for a residential delivery. I had them delivered to a commercial address at my work, so shipping was included in the price. The other option is to find out where the shipper depot is in your area, then have them hold for pick up and go get them when they arrive.

I have an '06 V215 and see above for my weight. My boat lives on a lift that is overkill for my boat (see profile pic), so I leave the sacks and pop bags in the boat and just flip the switch and drain the stock. My previous boat was a Sanger DLX and I had sacks everywhere so I am loving my current set up!
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-20-2007, 12:20 PM Reply   
I am stationed in WA so shipping is expensive.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-20-2007, 12:22 PM Reply   
do find that your playpin cushion is starting to rub the seat back cushion causing un-normal wear?
Old     (fastcrazyhurt)      Join Date: May 2007       06-20-2007, 12:56 PM Reply   
how do you hook up the bags nad take out the tanks in the 2006 sanger v215? what bags should i get?
Old    mendo247            06-20-2007, 1:15 PM Reply   
yeah kenny ive noticed that right in the lower corner of the seat back..
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-20-2007, 2:04 PM Reply   
glad to hear I am not the only one, but then again I'm not happy others are experienceing the same. So now my bow filler cushion 99% of the time stays in the garage.
Old     (fastcrazyhurt)      Join Date: May 2007       06-25-2007, 12:56 PM Reply   
shawn any chance you could snap those pics? what are the dimensions once i remove the tanks?
Old     (brad_m)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-26-2007, 5:13 PM Reply   
James - Lets see a picture of your new boat. Have you ridden behind a 215 with the stock ballast? I rode behind one last week and the wake was great.
Old     (fastcrazyhurt)      Join Date: May 2007       06-27-2007, 8:35 AM Reply   
i'm going to snap pics once i get a nice day to wash the boat truck. i've wake boarded behind it the last 2 days and love it. i have to take it back to the sanger dealer today so they can install the perfect pass pro but should get it back on saturday. yesterday i had 9 people in the boat and the stock triple ballast full and i decided i don't need anymore weight the wake was big enough. but when it's just me and my buddy and girlfriend i would like a little more weight but don't need it really. but i'm so happy with my sanger i love it. it seems like with a lot of weight it sits so low that i can't turn sharp at all.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-27-2007, 10:58 AM Reply   
I think stock ballast with a few people in the boat is plenty of weight you just have to get a couple of them to sit up front and your golden.