Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-20-2005, 9:48 PM Reply   
Check out item number: 4544517200 on ebay boats.
Might be a good deal for those with glass experience... Apparently received damage from hitting the dock, while trying to load onto the trailer in a storm? Someone should let these guys know that the trailer has guide on poles and vee-entry bunks for a reason... Maybe the stereo and prop missing had something to do with it...
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-21-2005, 5:18 AM Reply   
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4544517200
Old     (jaubrey)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-21-2005, 8:44 AM Reply   
I saw this too, something just doesnt add up.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-21-2005, 12:29 PM Reply   
It doesnt look like the structural integrity has been hurt, it just looks like cosmetic blemishes. Maybe the pictures are misleading?
Old    jzwake            04-21-2005, 12:59 PM Reply   
Remember, its a reseve auction. We have no clue as to what they are willing to take for it. If the reserve is set at $45K, is it still such a good deal?
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-21-2005, 1:20 PM Reply   
True dat...
Hence, the "?" at the end of the thread title...
Looks like the trailer fender (1st pic) got worked a little too?
It will be interesting to see how much this auction fetches.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       04-21-2005, 1:25 PM Reply   
I'm going over there tomorrow to check it out.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       04-21-2005, 2:50 PM Reply   
The story doesn't make sense. If a brand new high-end boat gets damaged, you get it fixed. Insurance less deductible. You don't dump it for a loss on ebay. Also, why is the stereo and prop missing? This is a repo or drug dealers boat. Why are the pictures taken in a salvage yard?
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-21-2005, 2:58 PM Reply   
A couple of the pics also show the prop on the boat, one of them looks like the blade is folded, but that could just be shadowing on the pic.

Kick azz boat though, I would just be wary, might be an as is thing. Check for water lines in the hull, bent shaft other dings on the bottom of the hull, etc.

Ask them where the hell the stereo and prop got to anyway??
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       04-21-2005, 3:11 PM Reply   
Prop is not missing in the pictures, but it is bent up nice. That interior carpet looks to be stained pretty good, like it had standing water.
Salvage yard makes you wonder....

ahh...Flux beat me to it... I agree. I'd be checking that thing for hints of water IN the boat.

(Message edited by P-hat in Cincy on April 21, 2005)
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-21-2005, 4:03 PM Reply   
I think Rich hit this one on the head!!!

Hypothetical:
Repo man didn't have keys, rows boat over to ramp from slip. Does the recovery in a storm knowing the owner is not going to be boating. Leaves boat tied up tight at dock to get worked, while he goes to back in trailer. Prop blades fold after hitting bottom of ramp a few times while he tries to manually load with wind continuing to push boat all over the ramp entry concrete. Boat fender receives damage from trailer being sunk way too deep when boat drifts over bunks and squashes fender before hitting the guide pole. Owner knows boat is going bye bye and snags stereo equipment to one up lender...

I gotta quit watching CSI...

John: Be sure and give us the 411 after your visit...
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-21-2005, 6:54 PM Reply   
two words:

theft recovery. somebody stold the boat, didnt care what damage they did to it, and decided to take the stereo upon ditching it after their joy ride...

if it were a repo, the bank (lein holder) would be trying to sell it, not some marina.

check the sellers feedback for other items he has sold...not the first theft recovery boat he has had on auction.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-21-2005, 7:18 PM Reply   
Theft recovery possible...
However, seller states that it has a clean title? As far as lenders are concerned, they usually charge off this kind of stuff and move it to auction or have an experienced third party sell for whatever they can, minus fees. Could have been purchased at auction by Marina as either a repo or recovery, or marina is the repo agency... Too bad Carfax doesn't work for boats---or does it? Either way, reserve has been met at or below $26,300 which could turn out to be a nice seller profit after a little elbow grease, prop and basic system...
Old     (cgutzmer)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-22-2005, 10:56 AM Reply   
I bet on the other side of the boat you cant see in the picture is a big hole in the fiberglass.... Something just is not adding up seems to good to be true.

Man if I lived in the area I would definetly take a look at it!!!
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       04-22-2005, 10:57 AM Reply   
My wife said I could buy it if I like it. We'll see. I'm going over there in about 30 minutes.

I'd need to sell my other Malibu if I did that.
Old     (v220ls)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-22-2005, 12:00 PM Reply   
I will let John give you the play by play on the
boat. My vote is ouch!!!!!
Its too bad this was a sweet boat once!
G
Old     (jaubrey)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-22-2005, 12:35 PM Reply   
reserve met at 26,000. John whats the report?
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       04-22-2005, 1:22 PM Reply   
I just got back a bit ago and here's my report:

This boat has a lot going against it. I'm a bit bias because I don't like black boats.

It obviously fell off the trailer at speeds in excess of 35MPH IMO. The gorilla fin is ripped right off, the trailer was really bent on the right side in the rear by the fender. Not sure if there's structural damage to the main frame part of the trailer or the axle, but the fender and step behind the fender are tweaked pretty good. The drive shaft is bent, the strut is bent, the rudder needs to be replaced even though it doesn't look bent to the naked eye. I'd say the ruddder is at least 1/2 an inch short from dragging on the concrete. The wedge looked a little dinged but still ok.

In addition to the medium sized chunk of glass work on the drivers side (it's poked through pretty good in about a 4 inch round section has gone through several layers of glass. Kind of mushy to the touch) and down the keel, there's little bits of glass work to do all over the bottom of the hull.

Add to that the fact that there's no perfect pass, no heater, no shower, no board racks. The tower was kind of banged up a bit too. The interior was a bit dirty, but very easily cleanable. You'd have to add another 2000 to 2500 to get the stereo back in shape at a minimum. The owner obviously took the stereo out when the insurance company took the boat because they would not pay him out on the stereo. It was a clean de-install, not a rip out.

The motor's probably just fine since the boat was not running when this accident happened.

Given the price on ebay now: 26,300, plus say 10,000 to do the glass work, replace the prop, strut, rudder, and gorilla fin. Another 800 to fix the trailer, and 2500 for a stereo, 500 for board racks, you're talking 40,200 to get her back to showroom condition.

Even with all that effort you don't have perfect pass, a heater, shower, a bimini, or boat cover. Everything else looks in good shape. The trailer has a swing tounge and is solid tube construction.

You'd be better off buying a used one that you've test drove and is clean as a wistle and pay another 2 or 3K for it IMHO.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-22-2005, 3:45 PM Reply   
Sounds to me like the seller misrepresented it on Ebay. John looked the boat over and found 10k plus worth of damage and they made it seem like all you needed to get it on the water was a prop.

So the salvage yard makes sense as they had to get it off the highway. How the hell does a boat like that come off the trailer anyway??
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-22-2005, 3:59 PM Reply   
Yeah words like "vessel" and "carrier" sound a little fishy (no pun intended) when you are describing a world class wakeboarding boat...

Thanks for the input John and good thing your wife gave you "the blessing". Women only do that when they want us men to learn our lessons the hard way...

(Message edited by h20jnky on April 22, 2005)
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       04-22-2005, 4:07 PM Reply   
If you were real good at doing glass work and being able to replace all of those parts by yourself and had the right tools you could probably do the 10K worth of work for about 5K I think.
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-22-2005, 4:34 PM Reply   
Yes you could John but if you could do all that, you would probably own your own marina and be riding in any kind of boat your heart desired.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-23-2005, 10:34 AM Reply   
I asked him some questions here is what the seller had to say.

Definately a REPO:

Dear three6ty,

You asked:
"I have a few questions about the boat> Was this a theft recovery boat? No prop, no stereo, no racks, no cover (makes me wonder) Was this boat submerged at all? Does the motor, Tranny, V-drive all work? no water in any of the fluids? Does the Motor still have the warranty? Who is the owner of this boat and do they have the title in hand? Did you pick this boat up at an auction? Sorry for all the question but this boat looks too good to be true, for the reserve price you were asking, which makes me believe that you picked this up at an auction for a serious discounted price. I am still interested in the boat, but I just want to know the history of the boat. Thanks erik"

I have no history on this vessel...I contract with insurance companys. The vessel was damaged while loading in a storm, not a theft recovery. I do not no the owner of the vessel or know why the items have been removed. As for the title work, we hold title and are a dealer. The engine ans vee drive are in great shape. It's a 57 hour vessel. I don't belive the vessel cost to me is anything you should be concerned with. The better we can cotract a vessel for the better we can offer it to the public. Thank you for looking.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-23-2005, 11:34 AM Reply   
mystery solved!

i rest my thread...
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-24-2005, 3:31 PM Reply   
Just sold for $35k and change.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-24-2005, 4:11 PM Reply   
ouch!
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-29-2005, 6:13 AM Reply   
round 2...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=63686&item=4546496 544&rd=1
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-29-2005, 6:24 AM Reply   
I am still curious as to why that boat is so beat up. I guess we will never know, having said that I would not even consider placing a bid on that boat. Who knows what else could be wrong with it.
Old    zboomer            04-29-2005, 8:01 AM Reply   
Looks like it's riding on an Extreme trailer. That's worth some cashola right there.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-29-2005, 8:35 AM Reply   

I e-mailed the winning bidder of the previous auction and told him to check this thread out before he paid the guy anything. I guess it worked.
I feel good about myself right now!!!!
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       04-29-2005, 10:15 AM Reply   
The auction is better describing the condition of the craft now but it's still very light on the true conditon IMO. They could have easily taken pictures of the damaged trailer (they call it a carrier) and the torn off gorilla fin.

They don't mention that the strut and drive shaft are bent.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       04-29-2005, 10:25 AM Reply   
The auction is better describing the condition of the craft now but it's still very light on the true conditon IMO. They could have easily taken pictures of the damaged trailer (they call it a carrier) and the torn off gorilla fin.

They don't mention that the strut and drive shaft are bent.