Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old     (davidgree1)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-20-2004, 8:31 PM Reply   
I am getting a Malibu sunsetter lxi. Any advice on which tower Titan vs. Skylon would be better?
Old    mb_girl            06-20-2004, 8:36 PM Reply   
If it's an '05, then you won't have the choice. Skylon is being discontinued for Malibu's 2005 lineup.
Old     (davidgree1)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-21-2004, 6:55 AM Reply   
It's a 2004
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-21-2004, 7:02 AM Reply   
Titan.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-21-2004, 7:31 AM Reply   
That's almost a political debate! Both companies make great products that are well proven so a bad decision is not possible.

The Titan will be stiffer by design but there are people that dont like the looks. The Skylon has a more traditional design. Go with whichever one you like the looks of more.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-21-2004, 8:03 AM Reply   
"...the Titan will be stiffer by design..."

He's right.

Stiffer = less movement = better! Enjoy your new titan...
Old     (mississippireb)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-21-2004, 8:17 AM Reply   
If you are not going to put racks, lights, speakers, bimini, etc, go with the Skylon, If you are going to load it up, go with the Titan. Bare, the Skylon looks better, but the Titan looks better with a full array of gear, JMHO.

Daniel
Old    mb_girl            06-21-2004, 8:48 AM Reply   
The Titan has very, very rare occurences of stress cracks in the gel coat around the mounts, whereas they're a lot more common with the Skylon. After living a few months with my Skylon I don't have any cracking, but I think I'd try a little harder to talk my hubby into the Titan next time. Just a thought.

(Message edited by MB Girl on June 21, 2004)
Old     (patrick)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-21-2004, 11:23 AM Reply   
I don't like the looks of the Titan, so I chose a skylon, never had any problems with the year I've had it. Why is Malibu discontinuing the Skylon option??
Old    mb_girl            06-21-2004, 11:31 AM Reply   
I'm assuming that they want a tower that is more of their own, the way that Titan already is (kind of like Zeroflex for MC & Flight Control for CC). Also, they're lowering the upcharge for the Illusion X (very cheap from the factory now), & adding a new tower called the Carbon Blade (I think that's what it's called, but can't remember for sure right now) - no I haven't seen any pics of that yet. I have seen pictures of the new Titan Series 3 & it looks very, very good. Here's a taste:

Titan Series 3
Old     (airbesar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-21-2004, 4:28 PM Reply   
I was out in a boat with a new Titan tower with all the racks, lights and speakers. Looked and worked great. The really cool part was the spinner racks, that rotate around the tower upright so you can put the boards on and off the rack from the cockpit without standing up on the gunwale.

I've had a skylon for 4.5 years. No problems at all but you could never put one of those racks on it because of the spacing of the side bars.
Old     (davidgree1)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-22-2004, 8:49 AM Reply   
Is the series 3 titan available now?
Old    mb_girl            06-22-2004, 11:21 AM Reply   
Should be available when the '05s are, & they go into production within the next week or 2. *I believe* that dealers are taking orders for '05 boats, but I could be wrong about that. As far as aftermarket availability, I have no idea. If that's what you're after, you might try contacting Titan directly for more info, otherwise your local dealer can help out with availability on the '05 models (& possibly on an '04).
Old     (doubleup)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-22-2004, 12:27 PM Reply   
The new titan speakers kick. They have really stepped it up with the alphas. They look great and sound even better. I traded my boss speakers in for them and couldn't be happier, I can actually hear the music now, and its loud and clean.
Old    whitevlx            06-22-2004, 7:37 PM Reply   
Titan, I liked the looks to begin with, it's stiffer and I like the visibility.
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-24-2004, 11:11 AM Reply   
You put boards and speaks on your Swoop, and hit a little chop and you get lots of wiggle which = spider cracks to the gel coat.

Go w/ da Titan.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-24-2004, 3:28 PM Reply   
All this is true, the only think I don't like about the Titan...you can't dive off of them into the water. I always like flipping off of towers...oh well.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-24-2004, 3:43 PM Reply   
My friend has the 04 Malibu with the Skylon tower, bimini, four board racks, light rack, and a custom fiberglass box that holds 6 1/2" speakers x 6. She typically runs with 6 or 8 boards racked, and I've never felt like the tower was wiggling too much. Maybe it is the weight savings from the fiberglass box that is making the difference, but it all seems to be working fine and looks killer in all polished aluminum and chrome! Based on this experience, I would not fear the Skylon setup.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-24-2004, 6:32 PM Reply   
Played with those Titan spinner racks on a Titan tower, gotta be careful, the boards wanted to fly right out of the rack when it got spun around.

Personally, I'd go with Skylon. Really good stuff, plus the factory is only 8 miles from my house.