Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old    star_star            02-03-2008, 9:35 AM Reply   
hey wakeworld. i desperately need help. i just purchased a 2008 XStar. i am having my dealership install the fly high pro x ballast system. he is catching the devil trying to get it to work properly. he has been in constant touch with MC, Fly HIgh and Jabsco (pump and timer box maufacturer). the problem is that the new 2008 timers are programmable. he can get them to program for the necessary time needed to fill and empty the bags but the timers keep losing their program and going back to the default time(way to short to completely fill or empty the bags).

seperately, he believes he has another problem. he thinks the system is maybe catching air and losing it's prime. this may be related to a new feature MC added to the pumps this year to keep people from running the pumps dry for any extended period of time and consequently burning up the impellors and pumps. the dealership is about to give up on the install. he asked me to check around and see if there are any others who have experienced these two problems on their integrated systems. he believes the problems are new to the system and basically related to the new timers on the pumps AND the new airbubble-sensing safe-guards that jabsco has built into the pump/timer systems.

please respond here or email me if you have any info on these issues. thanks in advance.
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-03-2008, 2:22 PM Reply   
If you had questions about the 07 I'd be all over it but as for the 08 I have no clue.

So how many pumps are in the 08? I was just wondering since they added the hard tank under the passenger side.
Old    star_star            02-03-2008, 4:22 PM Reply   
mark,please tell me about the 07 because it is possible that i have the 07 black boxes in the boat. they didn't change timer boxes until right around the time my boat was being built. thanks, you may have the answer.
Old     (wpstevenson)      Join Date: May 2002       02-06-2008, 1:59 PM Reply   
Jabsco sells the new timers that can be reprogramed for longer time. The factory max time on the 2008 is 4 min. I'm getting ready to add fly high bags to my boat and the dealer has ordered the new timers.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-06-2008, 2:37 PM Reply   
i don't know anything about the timers. for the catching air problem i see it kind of had to catch air when the inlet for the ballast is under water. their problem is probably how they ran the hoses. if the fill hoses make any kind of a down dip the pumps wont have enough of a push to get the water to go back up the line. they need to make sure that the hoses constantly go strait or at an up angle. i just had a similar problem on a customers ballast on a 07 tige 22ve. the back left tank wouldn't fill. the fill hose had the slightest of a dip if you would even call it that. i cut about 3 inches out of the hose to make it completly strait and has had no problems since then.
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-07-2008, 4:49 PM Reply   
I can assure you that the 2008s program goes longer than 4 min. WPS, I wouldn't buy those timers, you are getting scammed or your dealer doesn't know his stuff.

The jabsco pumps self prime, so catching air isn't the problem but the run dry safety feature is. My guess would be is the empty feature that looks at when the amps swing (as when they are sucking air when they are empty)is shutting the system down because air is being pulled in. I would guess you have a place on the suction side of the pump (on dischare it would be between the pump and bag) that is allowing air in. I would look at the pump impeller cover, all fittings (especially the three way valve, a cut in one of the lines. It should be leaking water where it is pulling air in.

Could the memory wire be loose. Does the system even have a memory wire. Pure speculation, but radios have two power wires. One supplies power to memorize your presets and one powers the radio. If the memory wire is cut, the radio will still play when turned on, but it won't remember the presets if you cut it off.
Old     (wpstevenson)      Join Date: May 2002       02-12-2008, 11:58 AM Reply   
I work part time for the dealer, we tried to reprogram the timers. I am able to set them any where from 15 secs up to 4 min in 15 sec increments. Mastercraft and fly high both say to get longer run times I have to use the new timers. I think they can be programed up to 8 min. If you have any additional info I would be glad to have it.
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-12-2008, 5:21 PM Reply   
WPS, email sent.
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-12-2008, 6:21 PM Reply   
Star Star,
Did they deliver today? or did the rain hold you up? Crappy weather this weekend anyway..
hope the neck is better...
Old     (wpstevenson)      Join Date: May 2002       02-13-2008, 12:04 PM Reply   
kevin

Did you get my email. We just checked with the factory again, we were told all 08's had short timers. Did the dealer change out your factory timers? Trying to get all the facts before complaining to them.

Thanks
Old    star_star            02-13-2008, 12:52 PM Reply   
all right, so which is it? now i am really confused. do ALL 08 boats have the short timers or is there some manufacture date after which an 08 boat would have the programmable timers but before which it would still have the short timers. my installer said that the timers in my 08 were the same timers that came with the kit. is there a way to tell by looking at the timers or do they look the same? my installer said that the timers, once the cover was removed, had the same numbers on them.
Old     (wpstevenson)      Join Date: May 2002       02-13-2008, 1:38 PM Reply   
I don't know, I'm trying to find out too. Star do you know the build date of your boat? Also, do you have the timer part number. I'm going to take the covers off a few boats at the shop and see if they switched after a certain time. Someone at the factory has to know if and when different timers were used. Kevin's x2 is deffinately different, he has already reprogramed them up to 20 min of fill time. My x2 will only go up to 4 min. His boat was built in mid november and mine was mid sept. I'll get the part numbers from the timers in my boat this weekend also, it is in storage.
Old    star_star            02-13-2008, 2:22 PM Reply   
sorry, i still don't have my boat yet due to weather and not being able to drive it down in rain. i was told by the guys at fly high that at some time during november the programmable timers would become installed on all mc boats. my boat was finished in late november, then went to the dealership for set up with fly high and z5 cargo bimini. i told the dealership i did not want it until after the first of the year because i did not want to be distracted during the holidays. i believe my pumps will program for up to 9 minutes but they lose their program and go back to the default time almost every time. i still have not spent any time in my boat and have not taken delivery of it yet. however, i should get it this coming week , weather providing. please keep me posted on what you find out. we need to share our info on this problem so hopefully we can have an operational system before we're all in the ground (and i believe i am a lot closer to that time than you guys are).
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-13-2008, 3:58 PM Reply   
Well, I just found out that ONE of my timers goes up to 20 minutes (the one I was playing with this weekend) and the other 2 max out at 6 minutes. I pulled the cover and the one that works has this info on it Active Intelligence Version 1.1 model 18500-0520.

So now a turn key project did not have enough hose and MC changed their timers literally on my boat.

What do the fly high timers cost? I may get aggervated and straight wire the whole thing, but this is a waste of promised technology.

It keeps getting better.