Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-06-2004, 9:58 AM Reply   
It's been 4 years today and I just wanted to take time to remember Corey. Cordell was a great individual who was always there for people. He has influenced me in so many ways. Corey we'll always love and miss ya!

Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-06-2004, 10:39 AM Reply   
R.I.P.

CORDELL ( Corey Kraut )

It has been said over n over, but if it saves 1 life I will say it again, ALWAYS WEAR YOUR VEST!!!

http://www.wakeworld.com/News/2000/CoryKraut.asp
http://www.wakeworld.com/news/2001/Kraut.asp

Unknown Author:

It's hard to truly understand the impact of silence. The blank water is still fresh in my mind.

It's great to hang out with good friends and other wakeboarders, watching guys from the boat who are going all out and make it look so easy, fun and effortless. Guys pulling off stuff most of us just dream of. Even when you're not on the water, if you're just hanging out on the dock you're having fun listening to stories. Wakeboarders love to have a good time. That's what it's all about. We love the water. Some of us have withdrawals if we don't at least get a short set in. Like most loves, it makes us feel comfortable. We relax when we feel safe and warm. Just thinking about it right now, I bet most of you can feel the warm summer water holding you as you wait with handle in hand. How can something we love so much hurt us?

Most people will never understand the true meaning of quick. The blink of an eye, we've heard it. It's cliche. Flipping a light switch. Not fast enough. Here, then gone. Instant. Forever.

That's it. The lake we love with all our lives will swallow us whole. Instant. Forever. There is no struggling for breath. There is no last hand or foot up on the top of the water. There is nothing. When you hit the water and get the breath knocked out of you, you sink. Fast. One minute you're pulling off a sick spin. The next you are gone. In an instant, forever. Two boats with 11 guys can't get to you. Diving into the water to look for you doesn't help. The water is dark and deep.

I dove off the front of the boat and went as deep as I could, looking up through the murky water, searching for sunlit silhouettes. I saw nothing. Time and time again, I saw nothing. Neither did any of the others who dove in. The view from underneath the surface, while almost out of breath will never leave my mind.

There was not one thing any or all of us could have done. We were helpless. It's not like in the movies. There are no bodies to find. There are no heroes giving CPR to save the day. You can't do CPR if you can't find the person. You just disappear as if the lake grabbed you and put you in its pocket. Here, then gone. Happiness, then chaos, then...silence. Just a board floating alone.

Then reality kicks in. Cops, fire trucks, ambulances, park and wildlife boats all surround you and you are forced to relive the experience again and again and again. Retelling the sequence of events and unfortunately having to show it over and over on videotape so that the search teams can get a location is brutal. I can't get it out of my head. I go to sleep thinking about it. Not one day has gone by that I haven't thought about it. I never will forget it.

You always hear the stories about someone who was on the last run of the day when they went down. It's always the last run and for some the last run ever.

To this day, Corey was the last person to pull me boarding. When I think of what happened, I am deeply saddened. When I think of him, I smile. I remember every time I tried to pull off a trick, even if I didn't make it, I got the horn honk from the boat and some encouraging words from Corey. I remember watching him bob his head to Dr. Dre and Eminem as we went across the lake. At the RV he made sure people were getting sandwiches and drinks and felt welcome (he did think that the bottled water in a can was kinda funny though). I remember how much fun he was having on the tour. Yeah, the carbon monoxide in the RV thing wasn't too cool, but everything else was great. He loved it.

Like Greg said, sometimes we forget. Maybe we are in a hurry or we just feel really safe and comfortable. Just think of how many people have jumped in with their sunglasses on. In the latest video release Corey was in, he was wearing a vest. We have to remember. Our lives depend on it.

Every time I ride, I will be riding with thoughts of Corey. His love of life, his love of the sport, and his overall positive outlook will make me ride the way he did; for fun, pure fun.

I will never forget him.

-= peace =-
Aaron

Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-06-2004, 10:56 AM Reply   
R.I.P CORDELL and when ever I see a monkey spin it reminds me of him.
Old     (zride)      Join Date: May 2001       05-06-2004, 11:28 AM Reply   
definately....Cordell is the original monkey spinner. He was doing off axis spins years before anyone else and thats just the way he did them. Now the off axis spin is an industry norm and we can thank Cory for that. He was a delta local and although I never knew him personally I can appreciate what he has done for the sport that I love very much, wakeboarding. Cordell my thoughts and prayers are with you today. He also changed the industry forever as it was normal for riders to ride without lifevest. Ever since his death I have never rode without a life vest. I am sorry it takes a death to realize that wakeboarding is a dangerous sport and certain precautions should be taken while wakeboarding. WHERE YOUR LIFE VEST! Props to the original monkey spinner, Cordell Kraut. I have two CK stickers on the back of my boat that I look at everytime I ride. They will never be taken off and I will always remember that what we do is dangerous. RIP Cordell!

Sincerely,

Isaac
aka Zride
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-06-2004, 1:01 PM Reply   
We miss you brother!
Old    murrayair            05-06-2004, 8:27 PM Reply   
Corey once said "I would rather fail in originality than succeed in immatation."
I love that quote.

RIP Corey, we miss ya.
Old    doubleupn            05-21-2004, 7:24 PM Reply   
I'd just like to say I'm glad that I had the privilege of growing up with Corey! He's made a huge impact on my life. Your always loved, and never forgotten Ces'
Old     (liquidforce)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-22-2004, 2:36 AM Reply   
rip cordell............... but i have a cordell hat but its getting old anyone know where i can get another one??????
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-24-2004, 6:13 AM Reply   
R.I.P. Cordell ....... (silent moment)...

.......ThankSS

~Forrest