Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-14-2005, 12:40 PM Reply   
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/MAN26.html

If so, are the 5,000 lb ones enough, or did you opt for the 6,000 lb ones (I have a SAN with tandem axle trailer)? Do they work well?
Old     (riderx)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-14-2005, 4:30 PM Reply   
I have used the 5000 LBS GoJacks to move damaged cars around a body shop. They work great. I am not sure if you could get one under both tires on a tandem trailer but I bet they would make it easier to maneuver the trailer around even if you only have them on one axle.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-14-2005, 5:02 PM Reply   
Why do you think they might not fit under both tires?
Old     (riderx)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-14-2005, 5:35 PM Reply   
I had some problems using them with vehicles that had tight clearances in the wheel opening. Now that I think about it the cars were usually pretty mangled or the wheel was locked in a turned position. I just went out and looked at my trailer. It probably wont be a problem. They are a great product. I have driven damaged cars around the block with one wheel on a GoJack with out incident. They work really well on a smooth floor. They are also quick to use.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       05-15-2005, 10:14 AM Reply   
Looks like that would work great for a single axle trailer. I wish they made one that would work with dual-axle trailers. You should be fine with the 5,000 lb version for any wakeboarding boat. That should be more than enough.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-15-2005, 10:31 AM Reply   
Well, as it turns out, Kragen has a sale going right now for $69/piece for the 6,000 lb rated ones. I'm going to pick up 4 for my tandem, i'll let you all know if/how they work...
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       05-15-2005, 10:35 AM Reply   
If that's true, I'm going to do the same. Thanks for the tip!
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-15-2005, 4:40 PM Reply   
That's the cheapest I've ever heard of them. I've had my eye on them for a while now, but the cost kept me away. I found the web site, but I can't find the Go-jacks on there. I wonder if your store only stocks them locally.

(Message edited by joesell on May 15, 2005)
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-15-2005, 6:16 PM Reply   
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?categorycode=3397&mfrcode=CPE&m frpartnumber=C51501

Took me all day to find 4 available in bay area stores, but I got them, and they were $69/piece (even though the website says $79). I'll let you all know how well they work...
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-15-2005, 6:47 PM Reply   
I have one set and use them on my tandem trailer. Works awesome for spining the boat into the garage.

Old     (magene)      Join Date: May 2005       05-15-2005, 10:14 PM Reply   
Any idea if these will work on asphalt? I only have 30' in front of garage to get my dual axle trailer turned 90 degrees and lined up exactly in front of the 9' wide door (I've only got 2" to spare on each side even if I do get it exactly right).

If these won't work on asphalt, does anyone have a good idea for how to spin a dually 90 degrees in less than 1.5 trailer lengths?

Thanks for the help
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       05-15-2005, 10:34 PM Reply   
Phaeton, does it work fine just using two of those jacks at a time? Isn't it still difficult to spin with the two wheels on the other side resisting the movement? Or do you just use them on one tire on each side?
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-15-2005, 11:28 PM Reply   
I just use them on the rear axle. This makes the trailer act like a single axle and it will spin really easy.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-16-2005, 7:43 AM Reply   
The early returns on my attempt to use them (all 4 of them) is not so good. It may just be that I need to enlist some additional help (my wife, who's 6 months pregnant wasn't a tremendous help as you can imagine), but with 4 of them on there, i had a really tough time moving the thing around. I'm thinking that all the weight that's still on the the trailer tongue wheel may be responsible, plus the fact that the garage floor is so slick makes it hard for me to get traction to put some real muscle into it.

I'm going to try again this week, get a friend to come over and help me out. If I'm still not happy, I'm either taking them back to Kragen, or would be willing to sell them to someone here for the $300 (including tax) price I paid.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-16-2005, 7:58 AM Reply   
I hate the thought of really having to drop some coin on this endeavor, but the next step may have to be...

http://www.powermoverinc.net/

I'm wondering if the power mover would work better with the go-jacks under the tires, or if that would make it more difficult to control the direction of the boat.

All this hassle because I can't find decently priced storage for my boat!
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-16-2005, 9:48 AM Reply   
What about a manual trailer tongue dolly to get things moving more easily? Still too heavy?
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-16-2005, 9:53 AM Reply   
I thought about that. The pics of the ones i've seen didn't inspire too much confidence, but i'd be interested in feedback from anyone who's used one.
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-16-2005, 10:55 AM Reply   
someone had a link to some wheel dollies for project cars. It looked just big enough to drop the tires of the boat into, and then you could roll them around. You would have to use a floor jack to get the boat onto them, but they looked really nice.

Anyone got a link? Was it John Klein that had the link maybe???
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-16-2005, 11:33 AM Reply   
There's this...
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=23560

and this...
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=23184

I'd like to feel pretty good that these are going to allow me to at least "pretty easily" move my boat around the garage before dropping the dough. I realize it's approx 5k lbs we're talking about, but between the dolly and the go jacks, hopefully it would work...
Old     (jordyt123)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-16-2005, 4:23 PM Reply   
Harbor Freight and Tools has the car dollies. I use them on our Tige and can spin it around in the garage with some help.The trailer jack wheel binds a little bit, I think a dolly under it will make it easier to move.