Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-27-2008, 9:04 AM Reply   
I have a 06 Moomba LSV with a 325 Indmar and will be attempting to winterize it myself. I was also wondering how do I winterize the ballast system. I found this in another thread, and I'm hoping this will work with my boat.

http://www.4shared.com/file/62646929/42836173/Malibu_Monsoon_Boat_winterize.html
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-27-2008, 9:42 AM Reply   
For my ballast system I just suck out all the water via the through hull drains with a shop vac. It's super easy and works like a charm.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-27-2008, 10:08 AM Reply   
Should I suck up some antifreeze into the ballast pumps?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-27-2008, 11:25 AM Reply   
Some people do that and run it through the pumps and pipes, I don't but I keep mine in a garage through the winter which are pretty mild here in the Northwest.
Old     (kylenautique)      Join Date: May 2008       10-27-2008, 1:42 PM Reply   
The ballast system, just unhook the bags, turn the pumps on and get the water out of them. Most likely you won't have any water in the pumps. As for the engine, make sure you know what you are doing. You have to remove the block drain plugs on both sides of the motor. Check them for sand after the water is done draining. Sand can pile up in the hole and make you think you have all the water out, but there can be more. Drain the exhaust manifolds. Drain the hose going to the circulating water pump. Take the hose going to the raw water pump off and blow it out. That will get the water out of the tranny and oil cooler. If you have a heater, you need to remove both heater lines at the engine and blow them out. Be careful when you do that because the heater is fragile. Too much air and you can break it. If you have a shower, turn it on and let it run dry.
Old     (ttduncan)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-27-2008, 2:22 PM Reply   
check out the moomba site. cab has great instructions for his boat, which i think is the same model as yours. he has pictures and everything.
http://moomba.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=6925

good luck.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-27-2008, 2:26 PM Reply   
No heater or shower in my boat. Has anyone looked at the link above, and should it be similar to the 325 Indmar? I have never winterized my boat myself, but after reading this thread http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/636149.html?1224607957 I feel like I have been wasting my money. I hope it's not over my head, but when reading comments like "do it yourself, paying someone else to winterize your boat is ridiculous" got me thinking.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-27-2008, 2:41 PM Reply   
Great link ttduncan. One concern I have is that I read you should not spray fogging oil into the cylinders instead spray into the air intake. If anyone can clarify that would be great.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-28-2008, 12:49 PM Reply   
Approximately how long should this take?
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-28-2008, 2:42 PM Reply   
I usually spend about 4 hours winterizing but this will be my first year with plumbed in ballast
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-28-2008, 5:57 PM Reply   
You are warm blooded and do not need to be winterized.
Old     (fijidaniel)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-29-2008, 6:03 AM Reply   
Do you change the transmission and V-Drive oil when you winterize and do you extract the old through the dipstick tube?
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-29-2008, 6:34 AM Reply   
Paul its tough to get a straight answer but I think it is safer to spray the fogging oil directly into the cylinders than into the intake. On newer boats, I keep hearing that the intakes are "dry" intakes, not meant to have fogging oil sprayed into them.
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-29-2008, 4:07 PM Reply   
From what I understand, you should not fog an EFI engine. There is a marine mechanic on this board that posted in another thread (joesergi)?
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-29-2008, 4:42 PM Reply   
Anyone else??? Tomorrow is the big day, and I don't want to blow it.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-01-2008, 7:30 AM Reply   
Thanks to everyone for all the info...I got her done. Took a little longer then expected, but I'm sure the next time it will go a little faster. I followed the instructions from the Moomba. http://moomba.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=6925

I'm debating on putting the drain plugs back in, and adding antifreeze. I'm just not sure on how to get it in the engine, or if it is necessary.
Old     (tomcat22)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-01-2008, 10:15 PM Reply   
I pulled the hose off the boat where it sucks water in from the lake, started it up and poured antifreeze in the hose. Took 2 gallons before it turned dark pink out of the exhaust.
Old     (dcb)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-02-2008, 9:49 AM Reply   
I winterize more than a dozen boats a year, I never use antifreeze except in fresh water systems and showers. Running antifreeze thourgh the engine is unneeded and risky if you dont drain the block. Unless the themostat is open the antifreeze will bypass the block. Peace of mind knowing it is drained and there is no chance it will freeze.