Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old    tommyadrian5            06-09-2003, 6:41 AM Reply   
Does anybody know what the shank diameter fot the trailer ball to correspond 1999 Mastercraft Trailer would be. 3/4" or 1" or 1 1/4".

Thanks
Old     (jrichard)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-09-2003, 7:26 AM Reply   
Tom, it depends on your ball mount, not the trailer. The size of the ball required (which does depend on your trailer) should be stamped on the coupler.
Old    tommyadrian5            06-09-2003, 7:49 AM Reply   
You're right, I was looking at etrailer.com and it looked like the shank they were talking about was the neck right below the ball, not the part that goes through the ballmount. Thanks
Old    6more            06-10-2003, 7:10 AM Reply   
Be careful! The shank is also sized for the weight you will be towing. You can find many different size shankes for a 2" ball (which is probably the size you need for your trailer). However, you want to make sure it can withstand the force of you entire boat/trailer weight with supplies. If you get one that isn't strong enough, you can actually rip the ball from the shank. You'll loose your trailer and the ball will still be in the coupler.

Just read the weights in the desciption and get the correct one - even if it means buying a new bar for the receiver because the hole is too small for the correct size.
Old    tommyadrian5            06-10-2003, 7:19 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info. This ball is for a class II receiver on my Volvo S60 (its got a 3/4" hole in the ballmount) . I will only be using this receiver and ballmount/ball for towing the boat down the street (1 block) to the ramp, using the volvo. I have a suburban and a tahoe for towing it longer distances, but those are my brothers cars and i don't always have access to them. The receiver & ballmount i got are rated for 3500# trailer weight and 300# tongue weight. My dealer told me the tongue weight for my trailer w/my MC Sportstar on it was around 125# so i'm alright with that. I think i'm just skirting the line w/the trailer weight though. I think the boat+Trailer is right around 3500 lbs. I figure it will be alright i will only be towing it 100 yards either way with this car.
Old     (csquared)      Join Date: Jan 2002       06-10-2003, 11:43 AM Reply   
If the boat and trailer are around 3500 lbs, tounge weight should be in the 350 lbs range with the trailer level. I'd be really surprised if it was only 125 lbs.

The S60 is rated to tow 3300 lbs so you should be OK for the short trips. Just be sure the ball is rated more than the total weight you will be towing like Brian said. The whole weakest link in the chain thing...
Old    tommyadrian5            06-10-2003, 1:48 PM Reply   
Just looked on etrailer, both the ballmount and the ball i ordered are rated for 3500#'s trailer weight and 300#'s tongue weight. Hopefully i'm alright.