Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-22-2016, 7:40 AM Reply   
I just got an email about this.

Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-22-2016, 7:58 AM Reply   
Pretty cool. Not an option I would order, but could see the newbie inboard market eating this up.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-22-2016, 8:04 AM Reply   
On my small lake no need for me, but agreed 100% with Diggs, bigger water / water with current and a newer boater this would be very helpful.

I wonder how much it leads to chine lock / turbulence to the prop when going forward at speed... I'm sure they've engineered around this, but it has to have some effect.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-22-2016, 8:05 AM Reply   
that is cool. would option a boat with it either. too many parts. power steering i'd assume? seems the more aft rudder would turn more than those in front of the prop
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-22-2016, 8:33 AM Reply   
I feel like its not necessary, but my wife would absolutely love this. Its going to make older inboards a bit like manual transmission cars. One day I'll look back fondly at the time when you actually needed a little skill to drive something...
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-22-2016, 8:54 AM Reply   
Just another way to add more people who should never own a wakeboat want to buy one. Prices will go up, and even more Wallys will be showing up on the lake creating havoc in a 150k boat.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-22-2016, 8:58 AM Reply   
It would solve a lot of inexperienced related dock accidents I'd imagine. Pretty good way to get high end I/o owners to cross over. I don't think I like the idea of two more things to go wrong hanging under the boat but that's probably not going to be much of an issue unless you take out the main rudder anyway. Is it the angle or is the prop shaped different too?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-22-2016, 9:03 AM Reply   
prop looked normal to me
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-22-2016, 10:38 AM Reply   
Brilliant idea. Every inboard should have this.....why not? With a patent, you'll probably only be able to get this on an MC. Good for them. That will be a HUGE selling point.
Old     (230Nick)      Join Date: Mar 2014       06-22-2016, 12:22 PM Reply   
I like the idea! I was told that it helps with the agility of the boat at speed. The only down side i can see to it, is that you now have a wider surface area to hit under water objects.
Old     (jbkriss)      Join Date: Mar 2011       06-22-2016, 1:33 PM Reply   
Could other boat mfg's put that on their boats in the future if they paid a licensing fee or something similar?
Old     (WakeNasty)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-22-2016, 1:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarrider View Post
Just another way to add more people who should never own a wakeboat want to buy one. Prices will go up, and even more Wallys will be showing up on the lake creating havoc in a 150k boat.
^^^^ This!!! They might as well add an extra tow point for extra tubes too... Awsome.

Last edited by WakeNasty; 06-22-2016 at 1:40 PM.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-23-2016, 7:48 AM Reply   
^^^ agreed. I see more negatives than positive. It's a light boat to boot if the situation is that dicey I will have to get my ass out of the seat and give a push.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-23-2016, 8:05 AM Reply   
For the casual boater with means who wants a wakeboat for the look and status and such this will be a big selling point. It's just a great idea.
Old     (jibsta210)      Join Date: Jul 2015       06-23-2016, 8:25 AM Reply   
I actually like that my inbord always pulls one way, when dockng i dont have to crank the wheel 3 turns left then right while going forward and backwards. When i drive my outboards i find this very annoying compared to my inboard.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-23-2016, 12:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibsta210 View Post
I actually like that my inbord always pulls one way, when dockng i dont have to crank the wheel 3 turns left then right while going forward and backwards. When i drive my outboards i find this very annoying compared to my inboard.
Once you learn to drive a single inboard, you can drive anything. It's pretty simple really, but most folks struggle big time. Predictable spin is your friend. Learn to spin it, you can spin 360 all day long once you get it down. The key to slow speed maneuvs
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-23-2016, 4:04 PM Reply   
A lotta macho goin on here. I guess I'll be the sissy who says it's a cool option-even for experienced drivers. Experience doesn't stop hard winds or currents. Only problem is it's on a Mastercraft. JK (sorta)
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-23-2016, 11:10 PM Reply   
Whoops. I didn't read all of the posts before my last comment. Somehow, I only read the negative ones which was the catalyst for my last post. Turns out others think its cool too.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-24-2016, 6:05 AM Reply   
I think most of the people saying there is no point to it don't have a wife or have an ex-wife LOL.

My wife pulls me and trailer's the boat great. But do you know how much easier on the marriage it would be on a windy day. Just the other day she was picking me up from the dock with our 9 month old in her lap (which is a feet in it's self) on a windy day. And she kina of froze because the wind was blowing us the wrong direction and just got up and said you do it. Well that left me in a tougher spot by the time I was able to sit down behind the wheel. But it all worked out and nothing got scratched. But her being able to back the other way would have saved the day.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-24-2016, 6:49 AM Reply   
Its not always so simple. There are situations that many of us do not face that can be a challenge. A strong current, wind, and tight quarters.
Old     (Squamer)      Join Date: Oct 2015       06-24-2016, 6:58 AM Reply   
To me its a nice feature to have. Do I need it? No I can dock just fine with out it, but if it is going to come with the boat at minimum to no additional cost I would use the heck out of it if its there.

Same goes for auto parallel parking cars, don't own one and don't need too but in 5-7 years if my next new car comes with it of course I am going to use it if it works as advertised. Said the same about back up cams when they first came out.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-24-2016, 7:13 AM Reply   
Those people in marinas can actually back their boats in with this.. not a real game changer, but can't see the downside to a boat that handles better at low speed.
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-24-2016, 5:47 PM Reply   
wasnt this solved with one less rudder in 2006 by epic?
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       06-25-2016, 4:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc_worm View Post
wasnt this solved with one less rudder in 2006 by epic?
No......

The dual rudder system that epic used had absolutely no advantage in reverse.
Old     (Shawn)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-25-2016, 3:14 PM Reply   
Oh good...now thee rudders to replace when I hit a submerged object.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       06-25-2016, 4:53 PM Reply   
As someone who is about due to replace my rudder this year, I would never buy a boat with three rudders, two being for the sole purpose of better maneuverability in reverse. I can dock just fine thanks. Very windy days can be tricky, but I don't normally use my boat on very windy days and even then I'm usually going forward.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-25-2016, 5:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarrider View Post
So you think people who had no plans to buy a boat will see this and suddenly decide they want to get into boating? lol

I don't think so. If you're going to buy a boat, you're going to by a boat. Everyone was a newbie at one point. All this does is add another attractive feature to an MC. Maybe the newbies will be less likely to run into your boat at the dock.
Old     (Shockthis)      Join Date: May 2014       06-26-2016, 8:40 AM Reply   
Looks like a great feature, I know when I am trying to get the boat on the lift on a windy day it sure would help me be able to line up easier. I wish all companies had it as an option.
Old     (cbarguy1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       06-28-2016, 8:26 AM Reply   
What a lot of people are forgetting is "who" actually drives the boat at the launch. Not very many wives/GFs can back a trailer. So that leaves them driving the boat, unless its some DB who does both while hogging the launch.

So adding a feature that helps "less experienced" boat drivers makes a lot of sense. Is sure beats the alternative of playing bumper pool with a $100k toy.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-29-2016, 5:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarguy1 View Post
What a lot of people are forgetting is "who" actually drives the boat at the launch. Not very many wives/GFs can back a trailer. So that leaves them driving the boat, unless its some DB who does both while hogging the launch.

So adding a feature that helps "less experienced" boat drivers makes a lot of sense. Is sure beats the alternative of playing bumper pool with a $100k toy.
I must be one lucky man. My wife would rather drive the truck then the boat when loading and unloading.
But being in Oklahoma and having **** tons of wind. I would like this as an option.
It wouldn't make me change my mind on what boat to get but is definitely an option I would go for if I was spending 100k+ on a new boat.