Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-18-2016, 8:58 AM Reply   
My trailblazer ss died recently (at 1:00 in the morning, on I95, just outside Washington, while I was pulling my boat from Philly to Orlando - good times!) so I've switched over to an srt. I love it, but the amount of brake dust it creates is incredible. I've never seen anything like it. My ss had a decent set of brakes and made a fair amount of dust, but nothing like this. So, I guess I have 2 questions (1) will the brake dust lessen as the brakes wear in? And (2) what's the best thing to use to clean it off and maybe prevent it from accumulating? I'm thinking of trying something like this, but don't want to waste my time and money if it doesn't make much difference.

http://www.autogeek.net/pinnacle-wheel-coating.html
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-18-2016, 9:32 AM Reply   
black rims?
you can put dustless brake pads on when the time comes. brake cleaner will probably your best bet for getting the dust off.

should have dust covers on there as well.
Old     (tweeder)      Join Date: Aug 2015       04-18-2016, 9:34 AM Reply   
To answer your first question, no the brake dust will not go away as you use the pads. If you want to minimize the amount of dust your brakes produce try switching to a semi metallic or ceramic pad.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-18-2016, 9:36 AM Reply   
I have always wondered how the dust cover's work? I'm so used to looking threw the wheels and seeing the Calipers & Rotors
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       04-18-2016, 11:17 AM Reply   
Dont use brake cleaner on the wheels it will ruin the finish . Just soap and water is all you need . You can try the dustless pads but to me its kind of like fish oil .
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       04-18-2016, 12:13 PM Reply   
I switch to ceramic pads and use something like iron x. I also put a sealant on them to provide protection from the elements. But brake dust is hot and corrosive. So the best option is to be proactive. I maintain my wheels weekly.
I have polished billet wheels on both of my trucks. Talk about a pita

Last edited by Jmorlan; 04-18-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-20-2016, 8:44 AM Reply   
I have an SRT8 With 22"s and offset wheel - I do not see much brake dust - Maybe I am not driving it hard enough . I have the stock Brembo's with the stock pads only 16K miles on it.
Attached Images

Old     (viking)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-20-2016, 11:37 AM Reply   
changing type of pads will help some but not eliminate all brake dust.
as said cleaning on a regular basis will help and you are on the right track by using a sealant.
I use Klasse personally and been happy with their products
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-21-2016, 1:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
I have always wondered how the dust cover's work? I'm so used to looking threw the wheels and seeing the Calipers & Rotors
they look chit on bigger rims IMO. my jeep has them to keep trash out of the brakes. doesn't work very well for that either!
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       04-21-2016, 1:58 PM Reply   
Had this problem on my wifes Audi.. They make a formula you can wipe on the wheels that supposedly works but idk. I ended up cleaning weekly... Annoying as hell
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       05-07-2016, 9:03 AM Reply   
Ceramic pads reduce dust a bunch. Heard they are noisy, etc but last year, both my Dosge diesel and Srt charger needed new brake pads. Both vehicles with or style pads could dust the rims in a few days.
I sprung for EBC pads. Red stuffs on the car green stuffs on the truck. Brake dust is at least 50% less, maybe better. Now the car needs washing before the wheels! Can't comment on longevity but stopping power feels better in the truck (the brembos on the srt would stop it with plywood for brake pads!) and no noise or brake squeals.
Fwiw www.placeforbrakes.com had great prices and good service.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-08-2016, 4:58 AM Reply   
If you had bought a Ford you wouldn't be having this problem. Lol The brake dust covers will help but they reduce the amount of cooling air your brakes recieve and they affect the looks in some owners opinion. Ceramic brakes will help but semi-Metallic will usually develop a squeal. There are pros and cons to every option.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-23-2016, 5:05 PM Reply   
This product is amazing - Armor All Wheel Protectant. I applied it about 2 weeks ago to my wheels and calipers, and they're still pretty much clean, when before they'd be totally, completely covered in dust by now. I just can't say enough about this stuff. This dude on youtube did a pretty thorough review with his Aston Martin, which is what led me to give it a try in the first place. My results are just about identical to his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK2LsZJ2brg
Attached Images

Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-03-2016, 12:47 PM Reply   
I have an SRT ('m guessing you meant Jeep SRT). The brake dust is incredible. I think I am going to try this as well. I am also looking at going to Hawk ceramic brake pads. They seem to be the most popular on www.cherokeesrt8.com . Also, when it was time, I got off of the run-flats and went to Toyo Proxies. The ride difference is night and day, and you still have the spare in the trunk. I'm still not sure why they have a spare when they came with run-flats.
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-03-2016, 12:50 PM Reply   
Here is my SRT Jeep
Attached Images

Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-03-2016, 1:42 PM Reply   
Wife has a 08 SRT8 charger and the brake dust is pretty bad on the front rims.