Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (hjziegler)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-19-2006, 8:48 AM Reply   
Hi there,

I own a Regal 2200 with the Fast Track hull. Now I want to install Perfect Pass.

Is there anybody who has experience with this combination?

Are there problems with the paddle wheel because of too much turbulence due to the form of hull?

Thanks and best regards

HJ Ziegler
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-19-2006, 9:31 AM Reply   
I had a bayliner with aps(advance planing surface) hull, and never could get pp to work very well in speed mode, we just used the rpm mode. I think the combination of the hull and the size of the boat(18.5) made it very sensitive. We would get it pretty good, then change rider or even if someone just moved it would get out of whack again! we just gave up on it.

I think ideally you should place the paddle wheel in a location where the water is running down a smooth surface up to the point where the paddle wheel is. But I am pretty sure regal is selling it as an option on there new boats.. You should go to your dealer check it out and try to work out a test drive to see how it works!

(Message edited by gmarkham1 on February 19, 2006)
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-19-2006, 1:23 PM Reply   
had?
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-20-2006, 5:42 AM Reply   
Is the hull not smooth at the back where you would mount the paddle wheel? I have one on a 20' i/o with the slots on the sides like the go fast boats and dont have any problem in speed mode, have never run in rpm.
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-20-2006, 6:06 AM Reply   
it is, but there are strakes from the bow to the back,

i guess i should also note that the engine was a 4.3l merc
Old     (hjziegler)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-20-2006, 7:26 AM Reply   
Thanks!

Now that sounds quite promising Bob! My idea was to mount the paddle wheel close to the stern.

Strakes cannot be a problem, because most of the i/o with V-hull do have them anyway.

Do you have a picture of your boat's hull?

Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-20-2006, 8:49 AM Reply   
i think you're talking about vented chines? (lateral notches in the bottom to help aerate the hull for top speed) if so, i'd recommend putting the paddlewheel in front of the vent.
Old     (hjziegler)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-21-2006, 12:07 PM Reply   
vented chines.. Yes

But since there is only one on either side, at about the middle of the boat I think there might be no signal when the boat is planing.

I asked my dealer who will ask Regal, who will ask Perfect Pass who doesn´t know etc...

Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-22-2006, 9:06 AM Reply   
It looks like the pictures shown here. http://www.boats4uinc.com/b4_usedboats/boats/monterey200ls_01_collage.jpg

I put it about 2' forward of the stern on the port side. There is no way I would put it in front of the side vents as this would be too farr forward and would not register the water flow correctly. I might be able to take a picture of its placement for you?
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-22-2006, 9:54 AM Reply   
Go here http://www.boats4uinc.com
and to used boats then to "2000 Monterey 200 Montura" and it has a better picture
Old     (hjziegler)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-22-2006, 10:59 AM Reply   
Thank you!

The chine is quite similar to my Regal's.
I talked to a dealer today who said that they already have installed paddle wheels in Regals and they didn't have any problems.

You don't need to take picture, thank you!

Thanks for all the replies and the help!