Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-22-2005, 7:03 AM Reply   
just got that sub, and was wondering how to connect it to the amp, my guess is that it goes on a "stereo" connection, like if i had two speakers. I'm I right?
Old     (ian30)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-22-2005, 7:09 AM Reply   
NO, It is still for mono, It just gives you a couple of choices of what ohms value you want to run it at. Hooking the two up parallel or in series. Do a search and you will find tons of info, or wait for one of the gurus to come on and explain it better.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-22-2005, 7:41 AM Reply   
Ok, by the way the setup is a Clarion XW1200 woofer and a Clarion APA2160 amplifier.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-22-2005, 9:05 AM Reply   
what resistance are each of the coils? ton of variables. what ohm load is the amp stable too? how many subs are you running? there are a few different wiring options. I'm pretty sure the amp is 2 channel?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-22-2005, 11:04 AM Reply   
The voice coils are 4 ohm each, run the amp in stereo, one channel to each voice coil. That amp will not push a 2 ohm mono load.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-22-2005, 11:49 AM Reply   
best way to run is what mike said.
Old     (ian30)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-22-2005, 12:07 PM Reply   
Ok, I guess i spoke up without knowing what i was talking about, so Now I have a question. I understood that both coils needed to get the exact same signal, If you run it in stereo, couldn't the signals be slightly different? Wouldn't you get more power to the sub if you ran it with the amp bridged in mono? Luciano - Sorry for the misinformation.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-22-2005, 1:06 PM Reply   
Ian,

It's not that much of an exact science. Both voice coils do not need the exact same signal, it would even work OK with only one voice coil connected.

If you run it in mono then the power is splitting between the voice coils anyway so you end up with the same result in terms of cone movement. If the amp would drive a 2 ohm mono load you would see more power but it's not so you would likely see smoke.

Mike
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-22-2005, 2:47 PM Reply   
Mike,

I've heard its not a good idea to only run a DVC sub using one voice coil, am I wrong on this or is it just not ideal?
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-22-2005, 2:57 PM Reply   
No problem there Ian.
The Xw1200 is a Dual 4 Ohm Voice Coil.
The Apa2160 specs are: 160W (80W x 2 Into 4 Ohms 20Hz-20kHz @ 0.05% THD)
Typical 2-Ohm Stereo 125W x 2 @ 0.2% THD
Typical 2-Ohm Bridged Power 1kHz 250W x 1 @ 0.2% THD.

Any diagrams to follow??
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-22-2005, 3:20 PM Reply   
If it can handle the 2ohm mono load then run it that way. keep an eye on the amp though, it could get very hot, pretty quick.

1 DVC driver with Voice Coils in Parallel
Connecting the two voice coils of the driver in parallel (+ to +, - to -) will result in the following impedances:
Dual-6 Ohm Subwoofer: 3 Ohms
Dual-4 Ohm Subwoofer: 2 Ohms
Dual-2 Ohm Subwoofer: 1 Ohms

http://jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/index.html

Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-22-2005, 3:53 PM Reply   
Sorry Adam, i'm completely newbye in the audio thing.
The diagram you say I should do is no the same mikeski posted before.
How do I know if my amp can push 2ohms?? I think it does for what I see in it's specs, but even if it does, is it convenient to connect it that way?
Thanks in advance.
Old     (ian30)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-22-2005, 4:14 PM Reply   
Not to hi-jack this thread, but how many people have you seen run an amp to a 1 ohm load. I have an amp that says it can run to a 1 ohm load, but I get the feeling that maybe it would only work for a short time before overheating, and it wouldn't be ideal for a day of listening at the lake. It's an audiobahn A1300HCT. I know, not the best amp - but it could be worse and I already own it.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-22-2005, 6:59 PM Reply   
If the amp is designed to handle the load then no problem. The link I found to his amp said it was stable to 4 ohms in mono. The internal wiring of amp makes it so a 4 ohm mono load is exactly the same load as 2 ohms in stereo.

This link explains why: http://www.bcae1.com/bridging.htm

Ian, if it is rated to push 1 ohm then there is no reason why you should think it should not.

Adam, be careful, lots of the JL stuff is rated to push lower impedence loads, the clarion is not. In regards to using only one voice coil, OK but definately not ideal. You paid for two voice coils so run both of them. Kind of like runing your V8 on 4 cylinders, it will work in a pinch but far from ideal (maybe not the best comparo). From an electronics standpoint the unused voice coil will just become an unloaded generator (hmmm, you might be able to run an LED of it...)

Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-24-2005, 7:26 AM Reply   
Typical 2-Ohm Bridged Power 1kHz 250W x 1 @ 0.2% THD.

Mike, Ian, I made my assumptions on this spec. I orginally thought that amp could not be run in 2ohm mono.....but where is this spec from? Its saying it can.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-24-2005, 3:20 PM Reply   
i took the specs from www.clarion.com