Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 11, 2004

Old    skurfsteve            01-07-2004, 12:18 PM Reply   
Hey there everybody,
I just had a general question for everybody. I am a wakeboarder, but I just saw the Asterisk trailer and it looks kickass. It seems like there is this riff between wakeboarding and wakeskating, even when wakeboarders often wakeskate themselves. I like to see any area of boardsports progressing, and it looks like wakeskaters are really stepping it up. Did anyone else watch the trailer, and does anybody else agree? I mean, I don't know if I will ever be in to wakeskating, but its fun to watch...
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-07-2004, 12:44 PM Reply   
Sorry I have never watched skate on a video, but I can tell you that nothing beats watching it at a Pro Tour stop! A buddy of mine runs the concession stand at all the tour events and he had to hire more help when the tour added wake skate. He says that he is never busier than when the skaters hit the water…over and over again. Nothing beats watching a professional take countless falls while attempting to do one trick in a pass. The exception might be watching grass grow or having your toe nails removed with pliers…not sure but give me more!

It has gotten so boring watching Parks, Danny, Andrew, Darin and company land stuff over and over…Jeez anyone can do that.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-07-2004, 12:47 PM Reply   
Definately pushing the limits.
Try it a few times though and you might change your mind. Yes, fun to watch but even more fun to stick a tech trick on it.
I don't know what the riff is all about and really don't much care.
Old    tattoobling            01-07-2004, 12:53 PM Reply   
There ain't no riff, it's just that wakeskating is as hard to watch as it is to do. That flat land tricky bike thing those foreign guys do at the X-Games is hard as hell also, but no one watches it. Hell, bet you didn't even know it is an X-Games event. But the stadium is packed when Mirra, Nyquist, et al. are ripping it on the pipe or in the park. 'Nuff said.
Old    skurfsteve            01-07-2004, 12:54 PM Reply   
Good call. I think people who want to seperate the two sports just need something to argue about. As far as watching it on a tour stop, thats why you have the videos! Better angles, and you don't have to watch all the mistakes (except for the good crash sections.) I couldn't help but get pumped watching that new trailer. Maybe I will try it.....
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-07-2004, 1:03 PM Reply   
Nice catch Steve, I was just stiring the pot...and Kaiser is right also. That being said it has no place as a spectator sport (i.e. television) as there is no flow to the event...as Kaiser said "hard to do" but for me even harder to watch.
Old    skurfsteve            01-07-2004, 1:44 PM Reply   
I just like the style and grace of films that show any greats in their sport. As far as seeing them live, its more of a novelty of seeing them "in person" as opposed to watching for pure enjoyment. I'll watch anything that shows guys pushing the limits of boardsports...some people just make me mad when they feel like its "us against them" between the boardsports.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       01-07-2004, 5:55 PM Reply   
I don't think it's anything like wakeskaters hating wakeboarders. I just think that they want wakeskating to have its own identity and high level of success. I don't think it has anything to do with wanting to argue because even seemingly "peaceful" riders like Grubb want wakeskating to be its own thing (you know, he hasn't been known for controversy).
Old    lucky            01-08-2004, 7:12 AM Reply   
Tour Stops are pretty boring to watch regardless after you have been to a few. But, that said I still go to pretty much all with in a three hour drive. Wakeskating is awesome to see on video, once you've done it yourself one has a far greater appreciation for it. My skills on a skate include world class carving and some badd a$$ butterslides. I've been trying to get wake to wake for a couple years with no luck. What those guys do amazes me....
Old    tribal            01-08-2004, 7:45 AM Reply   
Zedz said "Sorry I have never watched skate on a video, but I can tell you that nothing beats watching it at a Pro Tour stop! A buddy of mine runs the concession stand at all the tour events and he had to hire more help when the tour added wake skate. He says that he is never busier than when the skaters hit the water…over and over again. Nothing beats watching a professional take countless falls while attempting to do one trick in a pass. The exception might be watching grass grow or having your toe nails removed with pliers…not sure but give me more!

It has gotten so boring watching Parks, Danny, Andrew, Darin and company land stuff over and over…Jeez anyone can do that."
The reason wakeskating wants it's own identity from wakeboarding has a lot to do with elitest attitudes like these
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-08-2004, 8:18 AM Reply   
Are you trying to say that wakeskaters are not elitist? By virtue of the definition aren’t we all? But if it makes you feel better to separate yourself into a “certain class or group” without the tag of “elitist” then have at it…

From http://www.yourdictionary.com/

e-lit-ism or e’-lit-ism

The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.
1. a. The sense of entitlement enjoyed by such a group or class.
b. Control, rule, or domination by such a group or class.

e-lit’ ist adj. & n.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       01-08-2004, 8:52 AM Reply   
I agree with sean. Why have a demo or a comp for people that don't get it and won't appreciate it? If there's a wakeskate specific contest, you know that people who care are going to be there and not a bunch of wakeboarders that are forced to watch it (that's not to say that all wakeboarders dislike wakeskating, but it's sort of a take off from sean's example).
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-08-2004, 9:08 AM Reply   
Dang wakeskaters. All the special treatment really gets to me.
They never want to put their boards on the racks, don't want to wear life vests, want you to slow down for lip tricks and speed up for wake to wake riding, want to shorten the rope all the time, there's the "we don't need no stinking boat" attitude and of course the slider issue.
Man, it really gets me steamed - like milk in a frothy coffee beverage.

C'mon Zed, honestly - put the spoon down and step away from the pot.
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-08-2004, 9:26 AM Reply   
Sorry, I cant help myself. I'm kind like Kramer in the Kenny Rogers episode..."Jerry I need that chicken!"