Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (sunflower)      Join Date: Jun 2017       06-09-2017, 8:41 AM Reply   
I would love any pointers. I am 5'8", 130lb. Do my feet look too far apart? I clearly don't look stable. Any tips are much appreciated!
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-09-2017, 9:22 AM Reply   
Put more weight on your front big toe. Foot spacing is different for everyone
Old     (Padge)      Join Date: Feb 2017       06-09-2017, 10:14 AM Reply   
Post the video it would help more
Old     (sunflower)      Join Date: Jun 2017       06-09-2017, 11:51 AM Reply   
Thanks! I know I am stiff and stand tall. I'd love to learn how to carve! Here is the vid:
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-09-2017, 12:34 PM Reply   
Oh hell, you just need more ride time, you already have it down
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-09-2017, 12:53 PM Reply   
+1 to above.

Put you're arms to your side and relax a bit. Just take a deep breath and shake out the tension.
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-09-2017, 5:26 PM Reply   
Leaning back way to much. 75% of your weight should be on your front foot.
Old     (ronix686)      Join Date: Feb 2017       06-09-2017, 7:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
Leaning back way to much. 75% of your weight should be on your front foot.

Not true. If she leaned any further forward she would hit the boat. Weight distribution is good considering you stay in the pocket.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-09-2017, 8:46 PM Reply   
Hmm... looks like you're not totally comfortable standing sideways yet. Like you really want to face forward as though you're waterskiing. Your front foot is pointed forward too much-which leaves you in less control of the board. Your front foot has less leverage that way and it makes it harder to control the board. I have a feeling you're going to get this all by yourself without much more instruction. You just need more time behind the boat.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-09-2017, 8:47 PM Reply   
Move that front foot forward a bit and place it more perpendicular to the boat.
Old     (Shockthis)      Join Date: May 2014       06-10-2017, 8:18 AM Reply   
Shift your back knee forward , that will cause more weight on the front foot
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       06-10-2017, 8:55 AM Reply   
Surf more.
Old     (sunflower)      Join Date: Jun 2017       06-10-2017, 11:09 AM Reply   
Thanks so much ^ This all helped - can't wait to test it out
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-10-2017, 6:17 PM Reply   
Honestly, that board is too big for you. You have to have so much weight on the back to slow it down that you won't be able to have a very natural stance. You would be better off with a smaller board that worked better for your stance and weight.
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-10-2017, 7:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakemitch View Post
Honestly, that board is too big for you. You have to have so much weight on the back to slow it down that you won't be able to have a very natural stance. You would be better off with a smaller board that worked better for your stance and weight.

Agreed
Old     (sunflower)      Join Date: Jun 2017       06-10-2017, 8:30 PM Reply   

But I just got it for my birthday..
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-11-2017, 5:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower View Post

But I just got it for my birthday..
What's the size? While size and stuff is somewhat important I ride the **** out of my daughters skim board which is short, she's 4'10" and 110 pounds, board is 4'6". Wife rides a 5' surf style she's 5'7" 140 pounds and she rides her just fine and I enjoy riding it as well.

Agree with shifting foot more forward and putting more weight up front. And more seat time, the more you ride the more you'll start figuring out placement and better carving abilities.
Old     (Droopington)      Join Date: Jul 2015       06-11-2017, 11:29 AM Reply   
Slightly more weight on your front foot, or move your front forward slightly. When you look at your feet, you can tell where your weight is based on which leg(s) are bent and how much. Your back leg is pretty bent indicating a lot of weight on your back leg. You want to have a wide stance, and surf by trimming (shifting) your weight slightly in between your forward and back feet.

That board is fine for you, especially when learning you want more surface area under your feet.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       06-12-2017, 8:36 AM Reply   
When you are starting out, bending your knees more will likely make you feel more stabil since they act as "shocks"...when you start to carve up and down wave some, a lot of your upper body stays the same and you are mostly shifting your weight below waist.
But 90% is just needing time behind the boat. It will suddenly click for you. I kept trying to get pointers when I started and while it all helped, it wasn't till I went out one day (this was probably after around 20-25 previous rides) and spent 3hrs straight switching off with another guy taking 4-5 runs, then switch and repeat. Half way thru that...it just started feeling natural and I was carving and pumping up the wave.
You will get it, just put in the time. Board can make a HUGE difference one how quickly you can progress also