Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old    gr8wakes            06-25-2006, 9:37 AM Reply   
I need your .02 about these boats. I have researched a lot on the Tige and I like the Taps2, speed set, construction and size of the Tige 22ve, but I don't see too many posts about them here on w/w. Mainly, I have steered away from Moomba because of their past rep., but have currently found good reviews on the LSV. Any moomba and tige info would be great. I will be test driving the Tige this next week.

It also seems that Tige's are rare, why?
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-25-2006, 10:45 AM Reply   
I love my Tige. It has an awesome wake, and drives great. I have heard the 22Ve is absolutely amazing.
Old     (rhall)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-25-2006, 11:56 AM Reply   
----Owner goggles on----

Moomba has a bad rep? Maybe back in the mid 90's. Moomba in my opinion is up there with everyone else...you just pay for what you use, you dont use the stainless accents that come in other boats, you dont use quintuple stiched logos either. All the mech. parts are pretty much the same, the build quality is also just as good...hand laid fiberglass, G&T vinyl, everyone uses the same motors now days. I don't thnk Moomba will always be the "cheap" boat. Soon it'll probly top out like the rest, or if they do stay reasonable...they will be the only boats people will be able to afford. Personaly, I love the Moombas, I chose a new LSV over a new SANTE.
Bang for the buck says it all...plus they are noticably larger inside than comprable boats.

----Owner goggles off----
Old    thug_hunter            06-25-2006, 11:40 PM Reply   
LSV over a new SANTE? You're obviously smoking crack and we'll ignore you ever made that statement.

IMO, Moomba lacks in visual quality compared to most boats I've seen. They look cheap.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-26-2006, 5:16 AM Reply   
Robert, he didn't say "I think the LSV is a better boat with a better wake", he merely said he chose it over a new SANTE. The next line REALLY sums it up: "Bang for the buck says it all". From this I can deduce that Ryan felt it was a better choice for him based on price point, not that he is smoking crack.

my .02
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-26-2006, 6:35 AM Reply   
If you do go with the TIGE, you should probably add the ballast option. I realize they bill them to not need it, but realistically most people do "overweight" their boat anyway. I though the fit and finsh on them were every bit as nice as other boats I have been on, for slightly less money. Can't say about Moomba, we don't really have them locally.
Old     (rhall)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-26-2006, 9:24 AM Reply   
I never said the Moomba was a better boat. What I meant...I saw the Moomba had everything I wanted and needed, as did the SANTE, but for the price, I ended up with a bigger boat, very nice wake, and all the amenities I was looking for and didn't have to spend 60k to get it. As for the Moomba feeling cheaper...it doesn't. In fact it's more comfortable.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-26-2006, 9:45 AM Reply   
I haven't ridden behind the new LSV or the 22ve (my roomate has an 06 22ve, and will spend 5 days over the 4th of July behind it) but I'm not impressed by tige's fit and finish when it comes to the interior, for the price you pay it could/should be much nicer IMO. But the 22Ve is a huge boat , it's very deep and seems like you could easily fit 12-14 people in it.

Tige's are "rare" because they don't sell as many as the other brands.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-26-2006, 11:06 AM Reply   
Ken, I own a Tige 2100V ( 2001) and it's been a great boat. In 01 when I got mine, the Tige was one of the BEST "Fit and Finish" boats out there- granted others have caught up and today almost all are really good. Ask yourself how you're really going to use your boat- Wakeboard ALL of the time, Skiing at all or hanging out and cruising a lot too? We purchased the Tige because it had a lot of room, great ride in big water, look great and the wake was really good without ballast. I have extra ballast bags that I carry with me when I am going out for a few hours of hardcore boarding I fill them, but otherwise we don't need them. I land wake to wake 180's, 360's and backrolls without the bags filled just fine and my boys who are 10 and 13 love the wake. frankly, they're scared of the wake when the bags are filled- the wake gets massive. bottom line, if you like the boat and you have a good dealer ( big part of the deal) you'll be very happy with it. Mine's got 340 hours on it and has run like a champ from day one.

As far as being rare, it depends on where you live and the dealer. I liver in Seattle for 17 years and Tiges are everywhere and resale is very vry good. I now live in Minneapolis and have seen just a couple of Tiges around and the dealer here doesn't know anything about the boat so it will probably stay that way.
good luck.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-26-2006, 11:27 AM Reply   
ok how does a new LSV look cheap? it's got nice lines and a great looking tower!

i do would take an lsv over a sante. the sante is small and cramped feeling compared to the lsv and about $10K more. i would not pay $10k more for a smaller boat. the lsv is the best bang for the buck out there!

as far as tiges go, ive never ridden behind one so i can't really say anything about them. but ive heard more bad then good about their wake.
Old     (senna1)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-26-2006, 11:50 AM Reply   
I just went through this process but on 20' versions which was what I could get for around $40-45K.

Regarding the Tige and Moomba, I felt they were very comparable on build quality and amenities with the exception of the super thick hull on the Tige which I guess I wasn't really sold on. Sure, more fiberglass sounds good but how many hulls really fail for any boat? Gel coat cracks, yes - but structural failures? I don't think it's a concern.

That being said, I still really wanted to get the Tige as I liked the idea of no ballast but after more research I came to the conclusion that it's not completely true. To get truly huge wakes you'll have to add ballast. I figured why limit myself and if no ballast isn't a reality then that negates the main advantage Tige had for me. Also, Tige's get fairly expensive when you option them out - it seems like nothing is standard. Even EFI is an extra.

I thought the Moomba's were very impressive at their price points. If these boats were dogs, we would've heard about it. No one can hide with the discussion boards on the internet now days. In fact, all of the boats out there are plenty good. I tested as many of the boats as I could and they were all very acceptable, nothing was significant enough to eliminate anyone.

FWIW, I went with the Supra 21V. In my case it was the best all around package. Great style and finish level, ballast along with the wake plate for tuning, and everything important standard so the price doesn't get too jacked up. It's being built right now, I can't wait.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-26-2006, 12:05 PM Reply   
In the past, those boats weren't very close in price. Has that changed?

I love my Tige 24V 2005. It has been very well built and performs nicely for me.

I agree with malcom, hull failure is virtually unheard of unless solid land is involved. The Tige hull doesn't vibrate when going through the rollers like all others I have been in. It just feels a little more solid. Your Moomba's not going to shatter going across a double up.

I would NOT get the Tige ballast option. Storage is very important to me, so I went with sacks instead of the hard tanks that come with the factory system.
Old    00wakesetter            06-26-2006, 1:15 PM Reply   
Hull failure iss pretty unlikely but if you have been out on a varity of boats you will notice a big differece in the ride from a Tige. The thicker hull makes the ride in rougher water 10x better. And i have never swamped this boat even with 15 peepole (22ve) on Lake Travis on Memorial weekend, now thats saying sumptin!
Old     (boomerang)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-26-2006, 1:27 PM Reply   
I love my TIGE!

I do know that if someone is walking around in our boat, it does not change the wake. the only mommbus I have been ( gravity games 22 ft LSV ) in rode much worse than our TIGE and we had to keep moving people around in the boat to get the wake right. I must say that once we had everybody in the right chair and all the ballast full it had a nice wake.
Old     (green_johnson)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-26-2006, 3:00 PM Reply   
I have a 05 20V, and for a 20 footer its got a great wake. Last year one of my friends rode behind the 22Ve and said the wake without ballast was like mine with stock ballast plus 600lbs extra. I love the interior of Tiges' too, not too much of the "bling" factor.
Heres a pic of my wake with about 2000lbs in it.
wake
Old    gr8wakes            06-27-2006, 12:14 AM Reply   
will5150, I live on Lake Stevens in WA. With our previous boat we were out on the lake 3-4 days a week by 6:00am and would go til 9am to avoid Lake Traffic and get the nice water. With that said, I am not too concerned about driving through rough water. What I am looking for is a solid ride with room and versatility for the wake/skiers. I too have kids(3), My son is too afraid of the water to think about watersports. My 11yo daughter just started wakeboarding right before we sold the old ski boat. My concern is with her transitioning from a ski wake to a Wakeboat wake. she might get intimidated with the the big wakes. My friend that I bought the ski boat from got an Air Nautique, his daughter didn't even consider being towed by the nautique because of the massive wake.

My wife ski's and wakes, I wake and by far am no pro when comes to the water sports. So big wakes are not a big deal. Storage is important with 3 kids, wife and freeloading wake buddies we need all the space we can get. I'll see how the test drive goes with tige, but am pretty set on it. Thanks everyone for the .02.
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-27-2006, 6:11 AM Reply   
The 22ve is going to be a solid boat. We have an 06 24ve and it it great. The wake is good without ballast and from what you described that is all you need. If you want to add ballast do it aftermarket. We put a 2000 lb rival system in ours and the wake is huge. If you do go with the Tige, the speed set cruise is a little funny to get used to, I would consider perfect pass instead. The 22ve is going to be a much deeper feeling boat than any Moomba. On the Ve series the taps seems to really work well, it will increase the size of the wake on ours. I will probably get flamed for saying that, but in our old boat (tige switch V) taps did nothing, in this boat it works much better.

If you want to wait Tige is coming out with a 21 foot V drive with a pickle fork bow in 2007...
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-27-2006, 6:58 AM Reply   
Take time to get in and go through each boat inside & out. Look under and in everything and take time to look into how they are built. Then TEST DRIVE & RIDE!!!!!!!!! Then make your own choice...
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-27-2006, 10:31 AM Reply   
The Tige hull is definately over engineered, and super sturdy. The deck, seats, bow are all one piece and are glassed to the hull.

I've owned both, and didn't have issues with either, but I prefer the Tige.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-27-2006, 3:21 PM Reply   
Ken- I have a friend on Lake Stevens with a tige 21R! Looks like a nice lake- we were in Sammamish so we'd go there most of the time. There were probably 10-15 Tiges on Sammamish. Dave Waller is the Dealer in Auburn - they know what they're selling and will help you out. Good luck.
Old     (tjdunn)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-28-2006, 7:06 PM Reply   
I love my Tige' 22ve. It handles like a dream has plenty and power and I am very Happy with the fit and finish. The room is amazing. Had ten people in the boat and it was not cramped at all. I am no expert on wakes but the few experienced riders I had were very impressed and almost couldn't believe there was no ballast! They are awesome boats!! You would be very pleased!
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-29-2006, 6:31 AM Reply   
Well, I have ridden a few wakeboats, and I chose the 20V hull out of the Lineup. We have the 04' Switch V, which is essentially a stripped 20V, and it runs amazing. The wake is GREAT with a few people and minimal ballast (600lbs). Very SOLID boat in the rough water, despite its smaller size. Would totally reccomend.
Old    00wakesetter            06-29-2006, 8:41 AM Reply   
Upload
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-29-2006, 9:19 AM Reply   
Kyle, looks like it's time to change your nickname.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-29-2006, 9:24 AM Reply   
Kyle, that boat is SICK
Old    00wakesetter            06-29-2006, 9:35 AM Reply   
Rob,Yea i know. Im fixin to order my 07!!! I cant wait

(Message edited by 00wakesetter on June 29, 2006)
Old    gr8wakes            06-29-2006, 11:49 PM Reply   
Will5150, i'm going down to the Tige dealer in auburn on saturday to do a walk through and schedule a test drive.

Anyone have any ideas on what the 07 pickle fork would run $$?
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-30-2006, 6:22 AM Reply   
Ken,

I heard that the 07 pickle fork is supposed to be about 21 feet. So I would imagine that the price would be between a 22v and 22ve. I would say around $50K.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-30-2006, 6:26 AM Reply   
Good luck Ken- should be fun!
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-30-2006, 5:19 PM Reply   
KJ - AKdoc

My dealer tried hard to sell a buddy of mine a 2006 22V for 51K. It had all of the necessities, Tige tower, Perfect pass, 6 speaker stereo and sub, cover, tandem axle Extreme trailer, etc. I understand that the pickle fork will be a Ve from the rubrail up and in the rear, so I bet it will be very close to 60K. I'm getting tired of these boats going up in price.

no tower speakers,
Old    bronco991            07-07-2006, 1:16 PM Reply   
Heres my 06 24 VE
The blue looks a lot brighter in the picture then in person. If you look at the bottom blue it looks a little darker, thats what it really looks like
Old    bronco991            07-07-2006, 1:31 PM Reply   
heres the link

http://public.fotki.com/Bronco991/new_boat/
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-07-2006, 1:40 PM Reply   
Ken- how was the demo? Did you lay out any cash??
Old     (ace77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-07-2006, 3:15 PM Reply   
Kyle C. -
That is a sick color set on your boat... We have a blue/ white 22Ve loaded on the floor right now. I really like that blue out in the sun. It just beems bright.

ACE Cox
Texas Tige
www.TexasTige.com
www.myspace.com/TexasTige
Old     (bwellsusmc)      Join Date: May 2006       07-07-2006, 3:57 PM Reply   
I just purchased a Moomba LSV in May. Prior to purchasing I looked at the Tige 22v and the Mastercraft X2.What's not to love about the X2, everything about it was spectacular, including the price tag. After looking at the Tige 22v I was almost sold on it and was preparing to purchase it, when I went to Waterskiboats Dallas to compare the Moomba with a Tige. Wow! $10,000 difference in price comparing apples to apples. The Moomba had more storage, Perfect Pass, ballast, duel axle trailer, great warranty, and consumer reports rated it as a "Best Buy". It was a no brainer. I liked the Tige, but I loved the Moomba. We now have 30 hours on it and have a blast on it. Puts out a nice wake without the ballast. With them you launch off the wake. Here is a picture of it. Hope this helps.UploadUpload
Old     (bensk8in)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-08-2006, 8:58 AM Reply   
Why don't you see many Tige's? I live in Sacramento and wondered the same thing for a long time. I never knew much about them and was curious. Well, after leaving a pro shop, I went to sell boats for the new dealer here. What I found out was that the previous dealer would sell about 15 boats a year, and make a whole bunch of money on them. We "Capital Water Sports" see things differently, in order to take back the good name and market share in this area, we needed volume. We opened on Jan. 1st 2006, we've sold over 70 Tige's without ballast systems, next year, we're shootin for 160+. My friend has a 2005 Mobius LSV, and I will say, it is a very reliable boat, but it is shallow, it doesnt have all the bells and whistles that the Tige comes standardly equipped with, when it is sacked out, it takes water over the bow much easier. In my opinion, I would compare moomba to calabria and sanger, Tige to Mastercraft/Malibu. But nothing, I mean nothing is as bad as a Supreme or a Centurion.
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-09-2006, 7:09 PM Reply   
Talltigeguy,

We bought an 06 24ve with all the options you mentioned on that 22v plus a 2000lb. rival ballast system for only 5K more.