Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-28-2011, 1:35 PM Reply   
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=42434

Just a heads up.......... some severe issues with the power tower. Make sure you're getting the upgrades. Mc had issues with the towers on their previous towers and put a patch job on it with aftermarket braces. Whatever happened to K.I.S.S..

Last edited by xstarrider; 11-28-2011 at 1:38 PM.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-28-2011, 2:20 PM Reply   
Ouch! Looks like an expensive fix for MC. Hopefully they get it figured out...maybe Gen 4?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-28-2011, 4:32 PM Reply   
Blasphemy!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww2ygM9xpT0
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       11-29-2011, 6:50 AM Reply   
I don't understand why boat builders do not use Mike murphy's design of the power tower. Some boat builders are starting to use Mike Murphy's design on the ballast.
Just my .02 cents
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       11-29-2011, 8:56 AM Reply   
No one saw this coming.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-29-2011, 10:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
LMAOROTF! Thanx for the laugh
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-29-2011, 10:27 AM Reply   
That guys videos are a crack up.

No boat is perfect but these videos have got to burn at MC headquarters

http://youtu.be/iLfPuG3v40A
http://youtu.be/uj90SSBI-K8
http://youtu.be/7v9FitzS3eM
http://youtu.be/ieA_I-PV-0s
Old    sperbet            11-29-2011, 10:51 AM Reply   
that third one is pretty classic
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       11-29-2011, 2:45 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/user/Wakeflot.../7/3Hh-wGzH5LE
http://www.youtube.com/user/Wakeflot.../6/VrwtvdWP8Mw
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-29-2011, 2:59 PM Reply   
Haha. That is awesome. A 100k rattle trap. Unless there is something really setup wrong just to show the video that is terrible. Way too much movement going on there fromjust one guy pulling on the tower. What happens when a wakeboarder pulls out or that thing hits a double up?

I think Mastercraft gives their engineers way to much authority and doesn't communicate with the actual builders before they build a boat. It is like they build these boats with cool features in perfect conditions but don't realize that boats get absolutely hammered on.
Old    9Drozd            11-29-2011, 3:05 PM Reply   
New here but I've been wanting to say this since this thread was started.
MASTERCRAFT - Held to a higher standard.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-29-2011, 4:14 PM Reply   
Wtf?

I have to think something is up there.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-29-2011, 5:40 PM Reply   
WOW That is some SUPER FLEX. And Im not talking about the V-drive covers. If you look at the passenger side of the boat the Deck Its flexing way over there??? Its like a WAVE!
Imagin hitting some doubble ups with some tower speakers up there. From the looks and the amount of diffrent videos people have posted on this subject its not a new subject.

Now before people get on the MC bash Train.
I know Sangers are a very Loved brand here So Ill try to say this as Nice as I can. Im not saying all Sanger V 210's are bad but I have taken a ride in a few, and when the driver would turn hard you could feel the top deck twist the complete oposate direction as the floor. It was enough movment to quickley catch your eye. If your feet were firmley planted on the floor and you had your arm up on the gunnal you could feel the boat moving in 2 diffrent directions. It was a Un easy feeling to say the least.

Bottom Line is Somthings gotta give. Ill give you my 2c

My boat is 21.6 feet its just a bit shorter than a X-star. But the interior beam of a X-star is so wide that my boat looks like it would Fit inside the Gunnals of a X star. LOL The top deck of my boat is 2 to 3 times wider than that of a X-star. The wider top deck gives the Shoe Box design STRENGTH. You take a boat with a Wide beam and you give it a top Deck that's 2 inches wide even where the tower mounts and what do you think is gonna happen??? Yea your boat has a ton more interior room because your top deck is not as wide but you have a Flexy Flyer!!!!!

WHERE IS ZANE with his funny Videos NOW LOL
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-29-2011, 5:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
I know Sangers are a very Loved brand here So Ill try to say this as Nice as I can. Im not saying all Sanger V 210's are bad but I have taken a ride in a few, and when the driver would turn hard you could feel the top deck twist the complete oposate direction as the floor. It was enough movment to quickley catch your eye. If your feet were firmley planted on the floor and you had your arm up on the gunnal you could feel the boat moving in 2 diffrent directions. It was a Un easy feeling to say the least.
Oh thems fighting words. You must have had a few Coronas when rolling with the Sanger boys because no man with his senses straight can diss the V210.... Haha.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-29-2011, 6:01 PM Reply   
Ooo Snaps 2 mins after my orignal post and the "Sanger Mafia" is on it!

I take back everything I said about Sanger! Finest Boats made!!
This is Grant and I approve this message.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-29-2011, 6:39 PM Reply   
Anybody know the deal on those last 2 mc boats. They have to be floor samples or something not actual boats.

G
U didn't just dis Sanger. Awww hells naw

Last edited by xstarrider; 11-29-2011 at 6:41 PM.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-29-2011, 6:49 PM Reply   
At my old dealership (Not MasterCraft), we used to place the boats on a 3 point block system like the MasterCrafts above. All wakeboard boats will do the same thing, yes even my last Super Air with the think gunnels. In my past 10 years in the industry and after drilling possibly hundreds of holes in hulls for ballast, paddle wheels, damage repairs etc., I assure you, hull integrity is one of the greatest qualities that MC has over other builders.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       11-29-2011, 6:52 PM Reply   
That's some crazy stuff. These are $80k boats or whatnot? My old boat doesn't doesn't flex like that, and I've had a few days the ol' girl has spent more time in the air than in the water. Cost cutting gone too far? I've been in a few older MCs and none flexed like that.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       11-29-2011, 8:38 PM Reply   
one would think that if the boat was on the floor like at a boat show and the boat was rocked back and forth the entire boat would rock rather than flex, engine compartment included instead of rattling round in the hull like we see here, i mean it is bolted and locked to the deck... just callin em how i see em

Last edited by simplej; 11-29-2011 at 8:42 PM.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       11-29-2011, 8:59 PM Reply   
Where's nick in this thread?
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-29-2011, 9:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
All wakeboard boats will do the same thing
I have a hard time believing that!
Old    Nick911            11-29-2011, 9:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebrdr94 View Post
Where's nick in this thread?
It's just a boat man. They all are. Who cares? Not me!

Boom!

Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-29-2011, 9:49 PM Reply   
Simplej, the boat weighs 4,400 lbs, you can not rock it, the two rear corners of the boat are sitting on the hard.

GD, your MB will do the exact same thing
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-29-2011, 9:52 PM Reply   
Ha! Is Nick Lon's son?
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       11-30-2011, 3:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick911 View Post
It's just a boat man. They all are. Who cares?
Was almost proud of the change in attitude, until the rest of the post. But let's be clear, you don't OWN anything to hate on.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       11-30-2011, 4:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by alans View Post
Simplej, the boat weighs 4,400 lbs, you can not rock it, the two rear corners of the boat are sitting on the hard.
okay then so by that very logic that pig shouldn't move at all... But at least your admitting the whole boat flexes like that. But hey youre going to defend your product, as the consumer that is very concerning
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-30-2011, 6:24 AM Reply   
No problem, I just thought I would provide the answer to the question about the flexing. I doubt any "consumers" would ever put their boats on three points, so I don't think they should be concerned. There are no real world or natural circumstances that can replicate that type of repetitive force with a locked up transom and the bow on a pivot point. I guess you guys will have to wait around for someone that is not involved in the industry and does not own a boat to answer your questions, since an owner would have "owner's goggles."

Here is a picture of my old showroom. Sorry no videos of me twisting the boats.
Attached Images

Old    Nick911            11-30-2011, 6:27 AM Reply   
On a serious note, I will not blindly defend a product. MC charges a premium for its product and any serious issues or flaws that affect a large number of its boats is unacceptable. I did not opt for the power tower but if I did and these issues developed for me I would lose my mind. If a repeatable issue exists MC needs to take aggressive action to remedy it.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-30-2011, 11:22 AM Reply   
I tend to agree with Alan. I have a hard time believing that MC's flex more than others. All these boats are not that different from eachother (which is why I harp so much on the massive price differences).

But that doesn't explain the other videos. Rattles are annoying as hell. I have always suspected that metal wind block was a rattle trap (open or closed).

Not being able to swivel your chair to join the conversations sucks too.

It just goes to show... people who spend $100K thinking they are getting a "better" boat are dillusional. They are in fact getting more useless bling, technology, and the ability to brag to their neighbors.
Old    Nick911            11-30-2011, 11:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post
I tend to agree with Alan. I have a hard time believing that MC's flex more than others. All these boats are not that different from eachother (which is why I harp so much on the massive price differences).

But that doesn't explain the other videos. Rattles are annoying as hell. I have always suspected that metal wind block was a rattle trap (open or closed).

Not being able to swivel your chair to join the conversations sucks too.

It just goes to show... people who spend $100K thinking they are getting a "better" boat are dillusional. They are in fact getting more useless bling, technology, and the ability to brag to their neighbors.
To be fair, if bling, technology, and ability to brag are important to people, then yes, you are getting a better boat. Lots of purists here don't care for added technology, touchscreens, etc for fair reasoning. These add to costs, increase weight and likelihood of a breakdown, and are certainly not essential. That being said, most of us have a smart phone, internet, and navigation in our personal vehicles. This is the way the world is moving. I bet if apple made a boat they'd sell millions. The IBoat?
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-30-2011, 12:06 PM Reply   
I despise Apple. However if they made a boat I could drive from an app solo I would convert.
Old    Nick911            11-30-2011, 12:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarrider View Post
I despise Apple. However if they made a boat I could drive from an app solo I would convert.
They would charge you a $0.99 each time u wanted to use it though.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-30-2011, 12:13 PM Reply   
Worth every penny. Hahahah. Only then I am sure I would only be able to use it with certain board short and board combinations and it would have to be reprogrammed every 3 months because all the data would disappear.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       11-30-2011, 12:29 PM Reply   
To be fair, in the name of being unbiased, I did see a video of a Malibu, where the G3 tower had come loose, and when they shook the tower in the video, there was a lot of flex on the hull where the tower had come loose. For the life of me I can't find that video again. The hull didn't seem to flex to the extent of the above videos, but you could definitely see it
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-30-2011, 1:06 PM Reply   
Yeah, no thank you. I'm not going to pay 100k to downgrade in the reliability department. I seriously hope something wasn't setup right. WAY to much flex going on there.
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       11-30-2011, 1:52 PM Reply   
Appearantly in that first video the tower had not been secured, from what I have read elswhere it was a boat show boat and they had not finished anchoring everything down. As far as the other videos, no clue.

I will tell you the power tower is why I bought a 2011 MC , so I could get a 4 point classic tower. Not that I knew about the power tower issues but i figured there would be a good amount.
Old     (riddick)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-30-2011, 2:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddad View Post
That guys videos are a crack up.

No boat is perfect but these videos have got to burn at MC headquarters

http://youtu.be/iLfPuG3v40A
http://youtu.be/uj90SSBI-K8
http://youtu.be/7v9FitzS3eM
http://youtu.be/ieA_I-PV-0s
I can assure you that those videos do not burn anyone in Vonore...

I've been lucky enough to spend countless hours behind the wheel of the past 4 mastercraft x-stars due to running a wakeboard club and giving lessons to students, and I am nothing but impressed with the performance and quality. From these videos I can make a safe assumption that those guys have spent slim to no time on the water with a mastercraft. For instance, the seat doesn't swivel because it is pushed all the way back...My computer chair won't swivel right now cause its hitting the desk. Crappy chair..

It's super easy to go on any boat and find the flaws if you count not being able properly to close the back hatches a flaw.

As far as innovations such as the power tower goes, that is unfortunate. Knowing mastercraft, they will have the power tower close to flawless for 2012. It isn't unusual for new innovations or products to have problems the first year on the market. Im not one to bash competitor's products, so I won't list innovations other boat companies have made that haven't worked perfectly for 100% of its customers.

I take pride in see new technology introduced since I myself love drafting up R+D ideas to make boats more efficient and pleasurable. If it wasn't for new ideas, products, and technology. We all wouldn't be on wake world right now.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-30-2011, 3:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddick View Post
As far as innovations such as the power tower goes, that is unfortunate. Knowing mastercraft, they will have the power tower close to flawless for 2012. .
you mean they are going to stick some sort of ugly bandaids on it to fix it kind of like they have for the past 4 years on that tower so it doesn't shake to pieces?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-30-2011, 4:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddick View Post
I'm not sure Brett. If an extra brace is needed to achieve structural integrity on the design, then you bet.
I was halfway joking but it is just funny to me. People pay to have the newest and fanciest thing but because Mastercraft didnt' do their do dilegence when introducing new designs these people are having to throw band aids on to fix the problem. The simple fact is the tower they decided to design/use failed. Instead of reengineering the tower they figured out a way to just throw something quick and easy to stop the problem from happening. I don't blame them for creating the brackets, but they did stick with the tower and braces for 4 years, hell they even still offer that tower. It looks like they may have done the same thing with this new power tower. They took it to market before they actually had sufficient time to test it.
Old     (riddick)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-30-2011, 7:36 PM Reply   
I agree. It is a shame to see it happen. I see the modifications done to these towers necessary. They can be viewed as band aids or the quick and easy fix. I personally view it as a missing piece to the puzzle, but I'm an optimistic kind of person.

From a realistic point of view, reengineering a whole new tower then recalling all of the defective or old towers for the year makes no financial sense. Recalls or modifications to faulty products is costly as it is, and it does involve going back to the drawing boards to reengineer an efficient fix. A fix, that if tested enough, would've most likely been there when the tower was originally introduced to the market.