Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 12, 2008

Old     (jagger)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-24-2008, 12:23 AM Reply   
I am looking at a 2006 24' Supra Launch with about 500 hours on it. Can anyone give any input on asking price and perks or downfalls of purchasing a boat with this many hours. Also this boat had the engine replaced at around 250 hours.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-24-2008, 3:00 AM Reply   
depends on how well it was maintained but an engine with 250 hours aint much at all. Not sure on the value of it. Its overall care should be pretty evident in the interior condition, whether it was maintained properly or not. Were any of the hours in salt as they take a lot more proper maintenance to keep the boat in good shape?
Old     (whitlecj)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-24-2008, 5:51 AM Reply   
500 hours does seem a bit high for a 2006 but if it was properly maintained and has not been in salt water, you may be able to get a deal on it. The 250 hours on the new engine is not bad at all. What kind of shape is the boat in? You can check the value at nadaguides.com
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-24-2008, 6:13 AM Reply   
Why was the engine replaced with only 250 hours on it?
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-24-2008, 6:17 AM Reply   
i agree w/ mike...why would such a new boat need to get its engine replaced so soon?
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-24-2008, 6:38 AM Reply   
The potential downfall isn't with the hours. It's with that engine. I'd be a little worried that the original engine went at 250. I'd sure be asking questions as to why. If the first engine went due to lack of maintenance, then I'd be worried the newer one is headed for the same fate. Find out what happened and ask to see records. Even if it went from something like failing to drain the block for the winter, I'd be worried that they weren't doing other required maintenance. Supra is a quality builder but a boat's condition is 80% maintenance and 20% build quality. 500 hours is nothing given the expected life of a well cared for boat but it will hurt resale in the short term since those hours all came in the course of 1-2 years.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-24-2008, 6:52 AM Reply   
if the original was the 8.1 i could see it being legit...that engine sucked and had loads of issues... might be worth getting it looked at professionally before you buy
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-24-2008, 6:54 AM Reply   
ditto the above. 500 hrs is just getting broken in, not to mention 250. Why was the orig replaced?
Old     (jagger)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-24-2008, 7:44 AM Reply   
I was told that the engine was replaced due to a small clicking noise. As for the boat I was told it belonged to the Trevor and Reed Hansen' dad initialy for a year until his new 2007 came in.
Old     (rico80)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-24-2008, 8:03 AM Reply   
Their dad runs a camp, the World Wakeboard Center, I believe, so it would make sense that this thing would have a ton of hours. I wouldn't worry about it too much, I'm sure the guys working there took good care of it.
I spent a week there and it was definitely a no shoes in the boat policy. Most of the time there was only a driver and spotter in the boat as the rest would wait on the dock so they could get ready.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-24-2008, 8:08 AM Reply   
I think you're fine. See if the have maintenance records for it to make sure the oil was changed, etc.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       04-24-2008, 8:23 AM Reply   
There is far more to the condition of a boat than the hours. 500 is nothing if the boat has been well maintained. Where has the boat been stored? Indoor storage is key. I don't care how well a boat is covered, it's going to fare better if it's stored indoors, even in Cali and Florida where the climate is moderate.
Old     (ftd)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-24-2008, 8:58 AM Reply   
What is the expected lifetime (hours) of a well maintained wakeboard inboard engine? I realize there are a lot of variables but say well maintained, not abused, privately owned (no WB school) boat. I was thinking 1500 hours, too low??

Thanks
Frank
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-24-2008, 9:23 AM Reply   
Peter, I agree there is more to the condition of the boat than just hours, but it was all he mentioned in the original post and right away didn't make sense. And the engine was replaced only due to a "small clicking noise?" Seems drastic. were the Hansen's the only owners?

Frank, my 88 nautique currently has 1080 hours. I think it could run forever, might have to rebuild an engine or transmission along the way though...
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       04-24-2008, 9:32 AM Reply   
Mike- I agree. I don't know of any manufacturer that would replace an engine for a "small clicking noise." Maybe if your last name is Hansen, they are a bit more attentive?? I don't think 3000 hours on a well maintained engine is unrealistic.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-24-2008, 9:49 AM Reply   
Replace an engine for a small clicking noice? Not a chance.
Old     (jagger)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-24-2008, 9:55 AM Reply   
Thanks guy's for all the posts I going to check it out in person to asses the overall condition this post makes me feel much more at ease purchasing a boat with this many hours. As for the engine replacement I think I am going to contact Supra and see if they have documentation of the replacement.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-24-2008, 11:13 AM Reply   
a maintained engine should get to 2000 hours pretty easily. i agree, there's a helluva lot more to it than "small clicking noise" but you're not likely to get to the bottom of it. Whatever the case is, check it out thoroughly b/c it is suspicious. Just do your homework. take the boat to a engine mech you trust, if you have one. Is it a deal-killer? i wouldn't think so.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-24-2008, 12:06 PM Reply   
Did they just replace the motor or did they replace the vdrive and all?
Old     (wkbddad)      Join Date: May 2005       04-24-2008, 12:22 PM Reply   
Why don't you just call Andy at the WWC? Seems he can tell you why they replaced the engine on his boat and then you take all the guesswork out of it!!
Old    nwwakerider            04-24-2008, 2:13 PM Reply   
i have a feeling it wasnt a small clicking noise and the owner of the boat just didnt maintain the engine so it had to be replaced. so who knows what the new engine was treated like.
Old     (sciotorider)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-24-2008, 4:16 PM Reply   
i know a guy who has a '76 mastercraft that has over 7,000 hours on it. if its well maintained the engine can run for ever just like a car engine can run forever if taken care of properly.