Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 23, 2004

Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-14-2004, 1:34 PM Reply   
I apologize if this has been hashed thru previously, but below is the link for a previous wakeworld article on weights:

http://www.wakeworld.com/Articles/2003/Weight.asp

According to this article, virtually every wakeboard boat I have seen or read about on this and other bulletin boards MUST be drastically overloaded. What I don't believe is that this seems extremely unreasonable. I have a 2004 Mobius LSV that I typically fill two bags next to the engine (each approx. 350 lbs), I fill the ski locker bag (which is supposed to be approx. 500 lbs), and I put an approx. 300 lb sac in the bow of the boat. This equals 1500 lbs of weight, not counting gear and passengers. I usually have at least 100 lbs of gear and 700 lbs of passengers meaning my total weight is in 2300 lbs of boat load. My boat shows a rating of 10 passengers or 1500lbs which means I am 800 lbs overloaded. Yet, the boat is not low in the water, I don't get any waves over the bow, nor over the stern. My swim platform is approx. 8-10 inches below the surface of the water, however. The boat does not steer or perform like it is overloaded. Does this make sense.
Old    anim8or            09-14-2004, 1:48 PM Reply   
I've been wondering about this too. Plus, what does all this extra weight do to the structural integrity of the boat? A few years ago we found the wooden floorboards in my '85 baretta were rotted (a lot of use and previous owners possibly neglected it) so I spent a pretty penny getting it completely fixed and recarpeted. I've been nervous to use more than 400lbs of extra weight in the boat due to this fact.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-14-2004, 1:50 PM Reply   
8-10 inches. are you sure. My buddy has an X2 and we put 400lbs on top of the 250lbs in each locker and the ski step is only a few inches below the water and that's when I'm standing on it.

to answer your question I think it has to do with saftey. Kinda like driving it says 65 but come on now.
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-14-2004, 1:59 PM Reply   
Ant Bug,
You're right, not 8-10 inches - more like 2-5 inches (OK, its a guy thing).
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-14-2004, 2:02 PM Reply   
lol I do it all the time. But if it was 8-10 inches I would be hitting you up for a pull.

Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-14-2004, 2:05 PM Reply   
A friend of mine has a 90's model mastercraft and he was using cement block to weight his boat. He overloaded his and hit a roller and cracked the hull! The boat almost sunk!
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-14-2004, 2:09 PM Reply   
8-10 seems very deep for a swim platform. double check that!
Old    wakejump            09-14-2004, 3:34 PM Reply   
i have a 1991 mastercraft. and put a 450 pound fatsack in the back. and it went fine. 3 big guys.
Old    ricktrav            09-14-2004, 8:30 PM Reply   
if the boat is fine with that much weight who cares load it up some more. my boat 3 600's around the engine pluse 350+sandbags up front+4 to 5 people in a boat that is rated for 1400#'s i take bow waves and the boat is heavy but the wake kick's ass if everything seems good why worry
Old     (dmkhnr)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-15-2004, 9:02 AM Reply   
If the boat manufacturer found out. (I don't see how they would) it would void your structural warranty.
If the boat sank, and the ins. co. found out. (might be easier for them) You would not be covered.
If you do overload your boat, I wouldn't go around publishing it on an internet forum.
DK
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-15-2004, 9:17 AM Reply   
ok boat must have a certain amount of foam injected in them to make them float. I have heard rumors that in order to make a boat legal and have stock ballast in the boat the amoiunt of foam injected in the whole is more. Also you will find that some boatrs just float better. It will take a lot less weight to get a big wake out of a mastercraft x-2 versus a mastercraft x-30 due to the beam and length of the boat. More hull surface area. I have over 2500 pounds in our 2001 x-star at times and that is just ballast. if there is no water coming over the bow and none over the stern and your boat handles great then you can definately add probably another 500-1000 pounds no problem
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-15-2004, 9:26 AM Reply   
This picture was from a member on dallaswakeboarding.com Dont remember the boat though.
Dang...
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-15-2004, 10:07 AM Reply   
Kevin,
Foam has nothing at all to do about how they determine the safe load. From the article, it states:

Formula to Determine Safe Load: Length in Feet x Width in Feet / 15 = Number of Persons

For example, my VLX is 21 feet long with a 93-inch beam (width). Therefore, after converting 93 inches to 7.75 feet, the math looks like this:

21 X 7 = 147 (round 7.75 down to 7 for conservative estimate)
147 / 15 = 9.8 (round to 10)

Since "persons" are considered to average 150 pounds (only in these computations, not my crew), multiply your number of persons by 150. For my example, 10 X 150 = 1500 lbs. total persons.

So for my boat with a length rounded to 21 feet (20'8") and a width rounded to 8 feet (95"), the formula would result in approx. 11 x 150 = 1650lbs. The sticker states 10 passengers or 1500lbs though.

I would assume that the formula for this was not arrived at arbitrarily (although I have no knowledge how or whom came up with it), but given the characteristics of my boat when weighted, I don't believe, purely based on my observations, that the safe loading factor is reasonable. If I can load the boat beyond the sticker number and it handles with no problem and is not visibly low to the water or so low that waves and/or rollers are crashing over my bow nor stern, I just don't think it is correct. And, if a boat cop can pull me over and ticket me for it (which they have not), how is that reasonable or correct? Shouldn't there be some more appropriate measure placed on finding the safe load, rather than just a one-size fits all formula that does not at all take any design characteristics of the boat as a factor?

(Message edited by wakeshoe on September 15, 2004)
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-15-2004, 1:51 PM Reply   
Pierce that was a 19 ft Malibu Sportster(old responsehull) closed bow and it had about 3k worth of water in it..the water was up to the bumper line..boat had a sick wake and planed off fine and used a normal amount of gas ..its now on its third owner and hull is doing fine...

(Message edited by bill on September 15, 2004)
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       09-16-2004, 8:02 AM Reply   
Looks like this guy didn't know the formula...
Old     (gwake)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-16-2004, 8:23 AM Reply   
That is a nice warning.
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-16-2004, 2:40 PM Reply   
that would suck!