Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old    bsoto            06-18-2003, 9:32 AM Reply   
To the Absolute 140 riders. Have any of you guys ridden your Absolute without the center fin. If so how did it ride and do you recommend trying it.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-18-2003, 10:06 AM Reply   
The center fin is so small, I have never tried to ride without it. The board is pretty loose for me already. Don't think I would like it any looser. If you're talking about the previous hull design (pre 2003) then it may be a different story. Last year they had deeper molded fins and a bigger center fin also.
Old    brianthomas            06-18-2003, 10:09 AM Reply   
I was worried it was going to be too loose with the center fin after reading what everyone said, but it really isn't that loose. I still have to try, fairly hard, to break it loose. I havn't given it a try without the center fin, but I think I want to.
Old    bsoto            06-18-2003, 10:38 AM Reply   
Yeah I think I would like it if it were a little looser. Next time out I'll have to remove the fin and see what it's like. I just wanted to get an idea from other people that might have already done it, and see if they liked it any better or any worse. Don't get me wrong I love the board as is but I was just wanting to play around with it.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-18-2003, 11:36 AM Reply   
I just got the board and tried it finless. Heelside I was fine but toeside I trainwrecked badly. Either it's too loose for me or I need to figure it out. I wish they made a fin that was about half the size. Next time I will try it with the fins and see how it is. Then I will decide if I need to get used to it finless or just ride with the fins on.
Old    bsoto            06-18-2003, 11:49 AM Reply   
A few months ago I saw a post that mentioned putting the fins from the 141 on 140 but I don't exactly remember what was said about how it felt. Blabelmooch when you came in toeside did you wreck because you lost control edging in towards the wake or was it at the wake.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-18-2003, 11:57 AM Reply   
Ben, it happens at the wake. I got squirrly on regular jumps. Then I tried a backside spin and was backwards before I even left the water.
Old    bsoto            06-18-2003, 12:30 PM Reply   
Well the whole reason I was going to try it was to see if it might make landings a little more forgiving. But if I can't even get in the air then I don't see a point in even removing the center fin. Well next time I'm out I'll have to try it and see what happens.
Old    brianthomas            06-18-2003, 12:37 PM Reply   
Ben-
There is no 141, its just a 140 and a 134. I bet it would be pretty loose without the center fin, just give it a shot. You said you want to make the landing more forgiving? I think the absolute has the softest landings around, you must be getting some crazy air. I love how it lands. I used to ride a trip and when I get a good jump I brace myself because thats what I am used to but when I hit is like nothing.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-18-2003, 12:38 PM Reply   
Blabel and Ben, What year is your Absolute? The reason I ask is because the 2003's are supposed to come with tiny fins (.75 or something). When I bought mine this year, it was packaged with the 2002 fins which are much longer (1.5 maybe). Anyway I took it back and complained about the ride and they said I was given the wrong fins. The fins that are supposed to come with the 2003 should be really small. They are pretty close to the Premier fins except aluminum.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-18-2003, 12:39 PM Reply   
The 141 he is referring to is last years model.

But I must add that the molded in fins are larger on THIS years model.
Old    brianthomas            06-19-2003, 12:12 AM Reply   
oh ok, I thought we were talking about 2003's, what year are we talking about, it will make this easier.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-19-2003, 6:13 AM Reply   
J-Rod, my 03' came with the small aluminum fin.
Old    cws_kahuna            06-19-2003, 8:31 AM Reply   
Mine came with blue colored fiberglass fins. They are pretty small though like .75 probably. Mine is a non platinum model, did I get the correct fins?

I don't think I'd be able to ride this board without the fins at this point.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-19-2003, 10:07 AM Reply   
...you got the right ones