Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       11-28-2011, 9:57 AM Reply   
NVS Tyrants are now ran by 2006 ZX Kicker amp 850.4 rated @425 watts x 2 chan. @ 4 ohms.

Has anyone have a Precision Power Black Ice 800.4 and do you think it would be better then the Kicker amp I have now? RMS Power 4Ω Bridged 400 x 2
http://www.precisionpower.com/html-v...s/BK800-4.html

OR MB Q 4.150 @4 x 150 @ 4 OHMS, 4 x 220 @ 2 OHMS, 2 x 440 @ 4 OHMS
http://www.mbquart.com/qline_amplifiers.html

OR MB DSC 4125 4 x 125 @ 4 OHMS, 4 x 250 @ 2 OHMS, 2 x 500 @ 4 OHMS
http://www.mbquart.com/discus_amps_.html

I was looking for a Precision 4125 but couldn't find one online.
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-28-2011, 10:17 AM Reply   
I'm running my Entity 1010's with an old school PPI A1200, but if/when I upgrade I'll probably go to two Arc Audio KS 300.2's.

Small to mount, good power consumption, etc.

Contact Duane @ NVS, he's usually got a good deal going on these for current owners.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       11-28-2011, 12:24 PM Reply   
I did not know that MB Quart is made by Maxxsonic which makes Hifonics, Autotek and Crunch amps. The MB Q4.150 is pretty much a Hifonics Zeus ZXi 150.4. I think I will pass.

The precision power amp? Do they still make good amps? Their website has not updated since 2010 marked at the bottom of their site.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       11-28-2011, 8:47 PM Reply   
I used to have the PPI PCX4125 on my Tyrants and they seemed to be a perfect fit. Duane knew who had them, IIRC, and who had the best deal. Seems like that would be hard to find now.

I would not hesitate to call him. He wants your product to sound great as much as you do, and understands well that someone who pairs a bad amp with his product is not going to be very good advertising.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       11-29-2011, 5:12 PM Reply   
Talltigeguy, What do you have now on your boat? Still have the Tyrants?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-29-2011, 6:22 PM Reply   
If you are going to spend the money, and time to swap amps, then I would go with an amp thats using Class G/H technology or a full-range Class-D. Higher efficiency = less current draw and less heat byproduct.

Out of those links above, they are all Class-A/B, same as the Kicker, and all delivering about the same power, so no real benefit to upgrade.
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-03-2011, 10:30 AM Reply   
Just saw this post, I would agree with the KS300.2 (not the .4) and run one per Tyrant, Entity, Deviant, or Prodigy in bridged mode. These are readily available and will provide good power with adequate head room. I do recommend that you keep the gain below 50% (preferably under 30%) and insure that the input voltage is 4V, preferably more. Keep in mind IR drop when sending the signal to multiple amps. Hi Pass mode with Xover about 100-120 Hz for newer stuff, 120-150 Hz for older.
If you want the cleanliness of an A/B, consider the RF T600.2 but most can't tell the dif in our environment.
Happy Holidays.