Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-20-2006, 7:24 PM Reply   
Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any input on the older closed bow Mastercraft Prostar 190's. If you have any wake pics, opinions of the wake, time behind one, and weighting please let me know. I think I have found a good deal on one and would like some opinions. Also, I am pretty sure that the stringers were not glass back then but please correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks in advance.

Dan
Old     (dbjts)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-20-2006, 11:32 PM Reply   
MC has been using glass stringers since 83. The years you’re spanning cover the Mk 1 & the Mk 2. The wake is fairly wide and there’s not a lot of freeboard so you can’t go mad with the weight or you’ll sink.
It’s a relatively small boat with limited storage but that aside its maneuverable has a shallow draft and runs the simple easy to maintain 351 Windsor with Carbs.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-21-2006, 12:44 AM Reply   
I had one for 3 years. Good boat but can be a little cramped with lots of people.

Wake is good with around 1200lbs ballast but not great. I ran a fat seat in the rear and a sack up the front. Sorry no wake pics though.

Nice boat to drive and maintain though and has an excellent skiing wake.
Old     (zorro)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-21-2006, 2:00 AM Reply   
I have a Prostar 190 year 1991. I confirm what Jay said as far as the ballast and the wake. I think that the wake is surely enough for most of the people around. What is an X-star wake for if you cannot perform as a pro?
The drawback is that the boat is relatively small so with the fat sacs and all the rest the available space is little. However, at my level I am satisfied with the boat.
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-21-2006, 5:06 AM Reply   
Dave - what year did the hull change? And is one significantly better for boarding than the other?

Thanks to everyone else who replied. Keep them coming.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-21-2006, 7:57 AM Reply   
The hull changed from mk1 to mk2 in 91. The mk2 hull is better for wakeboarding and is also regarded as the best hull for slalom that MC ever made.

Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-21-2006, 8:21 AM Reply   
Jay,
If the mk2 hull is better for wakeboarding, how can it also be the best hull for slalom? Wouldnt a bigger wake be better for boarding and a smaller wake better for slalom? Again, thanks for all of this.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-21-2006, 8:42 AM Reply   
to answer your question----the difference between a weighted and un-weighted boat w/ regards to different speeds.. thought oyu guys were looking at 2001 hull nautiques -- two totally different worlds,, even sacked out the mc ps 190 will not throw the wake a 2001 will w/ 4 people
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-21-2006, 8:51 AM Reply   
Josh,

I would love to have an older 2001 but the pickins up here are very slim, actually the pickins anywhere are very slim. I have yet to find one in this area or an area that you could possibly check out for us. My biggest concern as with any older boat is the stringers. Also the whole reason for selling the Moomba in the first place is because both Mike and I are new home owners and need to downsize the loan amount. You dont know anyone selling a 2001 do ya?
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-21-2006, 8:58 AM Reply   
i will keep my eyes open, mind me asking your budget.... also, if you want a wake boat, you are not going to be pleased w/ a ps 190.... not knocking anyone who has one either..
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-21-2006, 9:48 AM Reply   
With shipping costs etc for a 2001, even if we were to pay you to bring it up for us or halfway we need to keep the cost around 7000 USD or around there. 7500 would be probably the cap. We set a limit of $10,000 CAD with a tower and shipping. Like I said stringers are the biggest concern for us. My first choice would be a good used 2001 but with budget and location, it looks like we have to keep our options open. Once again thanks for all of this.
Old    jlm            02-21-2006, 11:49 AM Reply   
I had an 88 and it was cramped. With 2 Fat Sacs in the back the wake was good but handling was not the best in the world. My biggest complaint was the ride in rough water. It would absolutely beat you to death.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-21-2006, 12:07 PM Reply   
I had a 1996 190 and it was a good boat. I will agree with most of the comments here, very cramped, poor seating arrangement and even when weighted heavy it would not produce a great wake and was very difficult to drive. If you do buy one, run to your local Motorcross store and purchase a kidney belt. Even in slight wind chop, it was brutal.

On the other hand, I loved that boat, it was my first real ski boat, an massive upgrade from my previous bayliner (insert joke here), but it taught me how to drive a direct drive, I added a ten foot pole and learned most of the basic wakeboarding tricks behind it. I had the LT1 corvette motor and it was so overpowered it was scary. This particular boat was actually the Budweiser turnament boat for 1996, so it was tricked out quite a bit for that era. As far as a skiing wake, I haven't seen a better one. I spend half my time skiing and wakeboarding and we would always take my boat for skiing, the wake was non-existent. If you are interested in wakeboarding more than skiing, I would opt for a newer boat with more hours especially if you plan on taking friends and family with you on a regular basis. Now, don't make fun of my 80's wetsuit :-)

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (bear)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-21-2006, 3:30 PM Reply   
This is from my 1995 prostar 190 and its for SALE!!!Upload
Upload
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-21-2006, 3:50 PM Reply   
I like the looks of the wake Jason and the boat is beautiful but I think you may be out of my price range. I looked at that already and as much as I like the boat, I couldn't afford it.
Old     (jbissell47)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-21-2006, 4:17 PM Reply   
I don't know if you checked your email or not but I sent you some info on my 87 prostar 190. The price has since been dropped to $7500. Check it out:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/279406.html?1139896365
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-21-2006, 5:44 PM Reply   
Jeff,

I just checked my email and thanks, for some reason hotmail placed your email in the junk folder so I would not have gotten it. Your boat looks nice and I will talk it over with my brother. We should be getting an offer on our Moomba anytime now, so we will be in better position to discuss more seriously when that happens. Any wake pics?

Jason,
With your wake pic, how much ballast are you running and where do you put your sacs?
Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-21-2006, 6:27 PM Reply   
Daniel, for more info go to www.tmcowners.com there you will be talking to only Mc owners. I have a '93 and LOVE it!! Pic in profile. We use 4-250# sacs in the rear and 1-400# in the bow when my son wants it big, but usually around 800# total. It is more than enough wake for everyone. Yes the wake is wide so my son rides at 65'. Small boat yes but will it suit your needs. Price doesn't seem bad. That boat will last for many years to come. We ski, wakeboard, skate and surf. Great all around boat.
Richard
Old     (bear)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-21-2006, 10:56 PM Reply   
That is with two 600's fat sacs one on each side of the engine compartment and then another 200 in led weight in the bow and another 100 or so in the back.
Old     (jbissell47)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-21-2006, 10:58 PM Reply   
Hey Daniel, check your junk mail...I just sent you some pics of the wake.
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-22-2006, 5:34 AM Reply   
Jason B, you've got a beatiful prostar. Nicely done.

Jason K, you've got a beautiful wetsuit. Haha!

In all seriousness though, thanks for everyones help. Seems like the MK2 really throws a better wake than the MK1, which still looks pretty respectable by some of these pics, however.

They are well priced, and more importantly, they're available. I'd still rather take a Nauti 2001, but they're so rare.
Old     (jbissell47)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-23-2006, 8:44 AM Reply   
hey daniel, just curious if you got my email with pics of the wake??
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-23-2006, 9:36 AM Reply   
I did Jeff, but something tells me (your profile) that you are in Cali....I could never afford shipping to Toronto, what would kill the reason of saving money. Thanks for the pics however and nice ride, I think you will sell it for more than what you are asking if you wait a little bit longer.