Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-28-2012, 4:33 PM Reply   
I think anyway. The vet agrees and didn't even feel X-rays were needed. She is a 19 month old Black-mouth Cur about 68 lbs. On her morning romp by the pond last week she went blasting through the water filled swale, yelped, laid her ears back and hasn't moved much since. It is very sad to watch as she is normally so energetic and a vibrant part of every day life in our house. She can put weight on it sitting or standing and walks without a limp. Squatting to pee hurts her and while walking it will sometimes spike causing her to yelp and jump. Again, very sad for me to see. The round part of her (knee?) Right back leg where it changes direction is swollen twice the size. We ice it and give her pain meds but its been a week and she isn't getting any better.
I wonder if the vet is wrong and she tore the tendon.
Has anyone gone through this?
Any advise would be welcome.
Kind thoughts for Misty are also welcome.
Thanks.
John
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-30-2012, 7:11 AM Reply   
Sorry to hear about what happened, a similiar thing happened to my American Bulldog 5 yrs ago. Hes 130 lbs and was running for a tenniS ball like always and turned the wrong way and blam, yelped and wouldnt put weight on his back knee. I went to the vet and they said for an MRI and knee surgery about 10 grand. And bc of his strength and weight he would prob tear it again before it even healed. Sooo i went this route. For about a month i let him rest with some pain killers and anit inflam pills from the vet, light walk really only to do his biz. After that i started longer walks and cut food slightly to keep the weight off. Did this for a while and slightly incresed till up to about a mile. Ice and light massage, pain pills after each walk if needed .He was sore. so now 5 years later he can go a mile no problem anything more he wil be sore and i feel not worth it. Things like runnign around a pool or fetch are out. Light swimming is good if your dog is a strong swimmer. UNfortunately his crazy playing days are most likely over. Good luck and just make sure he doesnt damage his other leg. Good luck. If MRI is an option for you I would go that route to really find out what is wrong. Xrays will only show bone issues which it is most likely not.
Old     (Tucker_McElroy)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-30-2012, 10:12 AM Reply   
Wow, sorry to hear that. My Black Mouth Cur has been nothing short of amazing. I got her from the pound and later found her previous owner. She came out of Alabama and was brought to Arizona in a litter of seven. When I originally got here I thought she was a Great Dane mix, but later, found her previous owner at the dog park who gave me all her papers, etc. She has a tattoo in her mouth that had been put there when she was puppy. Anyhow, she is the greatest dog ever! She is a hunting machine now and has more endurance than any dog I have ever had. This is the day I brought her home. She loves to tree raccoon and is an outright destroyer of bobcat. She did have an encounter with a mountain lion though, that didn't turn out to well for her. I didn't teach her how to hunt, she just does it. Bourbon is awesome!
Attached Images

Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-30-2012, 1:42 PM Reply   
My dog Cobie is 17.5 year old, 60 lb, and about 2 years ago had arthritis in his hip so bad he couldn't get up and walk. I bought him a doggie life vest and made him swim around in the lake. It worked wonders in no time. Not sure how much it can help your dog, but swimming is a good exercise that shouldn't hurt anything or make it worse. Cobie will never go out further in the lake than he can touch ground. He doesn't care much for me taking out in the middle of the lake and tossing him in. But the vest makes it where he will float no matter.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-30-2012, 4:57 PM Reply   
Yeah Misty has skills. She hunts with her nose in the air. I can send three kids in three directions, (on bikes!) tell her which one I want and she brings him or her home. By the shorts if needed!

I am looking at braces for dogs kind of like CTI braces for us with bad knees and it may be an option. There is just so much I dont know. Poor girl.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-30-2012, 5:12 PM Reply   
I have had border collies and a 50/50 lab - pit mix that was incredible. That said The BMC is my go-to breed from here out. This dog is really smart and intuitive. She reads people and other dogs and adjusts her level of enthusiasm to fit each scene. She will roll over for babies or chase big dogs over the fence. Whatever the occasion calls for. My favorite trick is to walk through Home deport with her holding her own leash. Classic good dog curve there. LOL I just went through my hard drive for pics and they are all either blurry or of her passed out on the couch!
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-30-2012, 5:16 PM Reply   
Here she is last summer at about 8 months working the shallows for finger mullet with #2 son Ian. They were seriously getting it done that day!
Attached Images