Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-20-2010, 1:10 PM Reply   
So I could use some input on my first wakeboat. After riding a bunch of different wakes over the years I've come to conclusion that I want either a VLX or Xstar wake. I found these two boats and was wondering what the fuel consumption is like? Honestly I could probably afford a newer 40k xstar but I don't think i could afford riding behind it much just because it burns through so much gas. Another question, would it be worth it to spend the extra coin and get a newer vride or x1 35k+? I'm pretty set on getting one of these two wakes, but haven't considered any other factors in terms of boat layout, interior space/storage/seating, maintenance costs, etc. All inputs would be appreciated and maybe bring up some other things that I haven't considered in owning my first boat. I ride 2-4 times a week and would really use the boat a ton in both salt and fresh water all year round.

Below are the two boats I'm considering, either these exact ones or ones very similar.

Xstar
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=819787

Wakesetter VLX
http://modesto.craigslist.org/boa/1908710524.html

Thanks in advance!,
-john
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-20-2010, 7:49 PM Reply   
go used, let someone else take the hit from a new boat. They are two different boats with very different construction. Malibu does not have a glassed in liner, the construction is cheaper (for the years he is looking at, no need to turn this thread into a flame fest). The Xstar has a little more storage than the VLX, and the interiors are pretty different. Engines are virtually identical in all their lineups (anywhere from 310-400 hp depending on how its optioned), and depending on that + how much weight you pack it with will determine consumption. BOth are good boats, so whichever one you get a better deal on that is in good condition, go for it. Also, the X1 has a great wake, but its capacity is for 6 people and you run out of room quick.

Last edited by hco; 08-20-2010 at 7:50 PM. Reason: err
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-20-2010, 8:08 PM Reply   
Consider this. You're gonna want to know, and try to get a straight answer, if that X-Star from SoCal has been used in brackish water or salt water. If it has, then very strong chance you are going to want to go with the Malibu at the similar price point and age range. Brackish water or salt will deteriorate a boat several times quicker than fresh water, even if they go to all the pain of flushing it out every time with a detergent engine flush. You can usually tell the difference as soon as you lift the engine cover. Look for corrosion on different types of metals on and around the motor. And ask about the trailer, look at pics of the running boards, wheel wells and brake areas, if there is much rust or corrosion on it, then that boat has probably been run in salt.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-20-2010, 8:57 PM Reply   
Johnny!!!! Comparing the two boats you have in your post, I would take the VLX in a heartbeat. Of course it will depend on the condition of each boat, however the simple fact that the BU has 300 less hours than the Star and it's a no brainer. The X Star does throw a sick wake, but so does that VLX when loaded properly. One of my favorite wakes is a buddy of mine that has a Sunsetter (same hull from that year, and it's f'ing sweet).

How are you gonna tow it? I don't think your Jetta is gonna cut the mustard. Dude, your biggest expense is gonna be gas straight out. Example: we go through about 4 cans, or 20ish gals every time we ride. Figure $3.20/gal with 20 gals is $64, times 4 is $256 a week. Of course that doesn't include money you get from friends, but chances are you won't get that much, and with the long ass sets you take, you'll probably spend more than that (hahaha). Plus you'll have gas for whoever tows the boat.

You'll also have to consider yearly insurance (300-600/year), maintenence costs, and all the stuff for keeping her nice and clean. Gas will be your biggest offender for sure.

VLX is my pic. See you Sunday dummy.
Old    usfhookup            08-20-2010, 9:07 PM Reply   
I am an X-Star man... its the best wake around period. BUT with those two boats I would take the Malibu only because of the engine hours. Keep in mind that these inboards on average run to about 1000 hours, so the x-star is at its half-life.
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-21-2010, 6:58 PM Reply   
Thanks for the inputs. So what happens after the engine dies? Replace the engine 5-10k? How much does maintenance cost usually per month? Brandon, sold the jetta and got an old tahoe already. Is there any consensus on whether I should hit up the 35k-40k range? Is it worth it in the long run? (like an 04-07 xstar or vlx)

Last edited by stoked_32; 08-21-2010 at 7:01 PM.
Old     (king_of_the_wake)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-21-2010, 8:01 PM Reply   
go with the x-star all the way the x-star throws the biggest wake in the bussiness, i would personally recomend pay that little bitt extra for a newer model
(08/09) but you willl notice a huge diffrence in your riding ,
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-21-2010, 8:12 PM Reply   
what about this xstar?

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/1907374276.html
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-21-2010, 8:13 PM Reply   
or this one?

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/1909801530.html
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-22-2010, 4:57 PM Reply   
Both nice boats, drive and ride behind each one and go from there.

'04-newer X-star is a bit more $$, but if you plan on keeping your boat more than 5 years it will save you money in the long run when you want to upgrade to it later anyway!

My '05 X-star uses 6-7 gals/per hour with 2000# ballast and 6 people (350 MCX engine)
You might save 2 gals/per hour with an older X-star or VLX. Not a big deal.

You might want to look at the MC X-15 also, really nice wake!
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-22-2010, 5:01 PM Reply   
Oh and maintenance should be under $250/year if you do it yourself.
(2 oil changes, trans fluid change, fuel filter, spark plugs, impeller, winterize)
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-23-2010, 5:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Keep in mind that these inboards on average run to about 1000 hours, so the x-star is at its half-life.
1000 hrs? 1000 hrs is nothing. Maybe your just talking about saltwater boats??? If not, and your referring to fresh water, then whoever owns or maintains the boats that you speak of must do a horrible job of taking care of them. These things can run up into 2-3k hrs if you take care of them.

Last edited by ironj32; 08-23-2010 at 5:16 AM.