Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-05-2006, 8:50 AM Reply   
I have seen a couple of people do this (add a second set of hard tanks and plumb them together). With gas prices climbing, I'm interested in dumping the 400 pound in lead I currently have back there. I figure this can save some money on the days that I spend 30 minutes driving around looking for good water.

Can anyone tell me how this works? Also, does anyone know where I can get a second set of tanks?
Old     (tws_andrew)      Join Date: May 2004       05-05-2006, 8:55 AM Reply   
Pull your hard tanks all together and put in a big sac. You will be way happier. This is what I did. You will need more weight in the front but I am sure you already know that
Old     (rukie)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-05-2006, 9:12 AM Reply   
J-Rod,

I have the stock tanks sitting in my storage from my 05 Avalanche, (had to have different ones made to accommodate the subs). They are probably a different size from your X-2 tanks? Let me know if you are interested, and I will take some measurements next time I go up. They are just taking up room in my storage and I can't see ever needing them again.

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-05-2006, 9:40 AM Reply   
Ben, I would appreciate that! Thanks buddy.

Andrew...with the sacks...were you still able to tap into the stock overflow to prevent potential disaster, and to push out air?

I guess if I used sacks, I could still have some storage space.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-05-2006, 10:31 AM Reply   
Sacks may be a decent alternative. You should still be able to use the overflow. The only downer would be having to make sure nothing is in the way when filling. I'm not sure if it's really worth it. On the upside it'd be nicer to tow without the extra weight in back too (although I prefer to keep the weight in the front and back nearly equal to keep the tongue weight similar).
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-05-2006, 10:36 AM Reply   
I hear ya Evan. Distribution in the boat when on the trailer is a factor.

Every time we filled those sacks in the back of my Malibu, we had to empty out the gear first....unless I was to install some sort of floating floor.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-05-2006, 10:38 AM Reply   
J-rod, I have a friend who did that to their SAN. Jim also did that to a VLX they never had problems. I have almost done it to my SAN and I am thinking of doing it.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-05-2006, 10:58 AM Reply   
If you have weight in the back of the boat helps with tongue weight??

I guess that explains why I still don't have a problem with tongue weight and I keep 700lbs in the bow and my trailer hitch is rated at 600lbs?

Does it work like a triple beam scale or the weight ratio is not quite the same?
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-05-2006, 10:59 AM Reply   
Just get the heavy covered sacks and you should be fine. Let me know which ones you end up getting so I know if they'll fit in my 04. I'm looking at getting some that are at least 580 on each side so that I can use it easily for surfing.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-05-2006, 11:08 AM Reply   
Ed...yes. Think of it as a see-saw (sp?). The weight is on the opposite side of the axles.

Haha...he said "tripple beam."
Old     (sacdeep)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-05-2006, 1:02 PM Reply   
I had the the double hard tanks setup on my VLX and it was good but I lost alot of storage. Changed to custom sacs and love them. With the sacks you can have them custom to any size and put the fittings anywhere. Boarders Paradise makes good custom sacks
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-05-2006, 3:00 PM Reply   
J-Rod, just toss the hard tanks altogether and get a pair of 750+lb Pro-X sacs. That's what I did on my 04. They fit so perfect it's like they were made for that boat.

It's a much better solution than plumbing more sacs or tanks inline with the stock stuff.

Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-05-2006, 3:09 PM Reply   
I guess I just referred to what I know.

Joe,the only problem with those sacs is b/c you have to put A LOT of weight up front to maximize the wake and fuel consumption.I don't think X2 likes to be ass heavy.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-05-2006, 3:16 PM Reply   
I'm pretty sure the sacs are the way to go if you don't mind moving stuff out of the lockers when you fill up. I think for now I'll just make the sacrafice associated with lead, especially going into summer. It'd be a pain when you've got 10 people on the boat to have to unload all their gear to fill the ballast, then find a place for all their stuff again once it's full. The bonus is that sacs fit tight in the bottom of the compartment so you'd lose way less storage than you would with 2 hard tanks still kinda seems like a pain though. I gotta ask where the engineers are on that one. Haven't they seen the ballast system on a Calabria. Wow, what a nice system.
Old     (tws_andrew)      Join Date: May 2004       05-05-2006, 4:39 PM Reply   
ProX 750s - no questions. Plumb them in right in place of the hard tanks and they will work just like the tank with the overflow etc. As for pulling out stuff you will be surprised how much more room you have back there without the hard tanks and how much more ballast you will have with them only partially full and room for stuff on top of them. Also if you like to surf just fill one slightly and the other full and you will have an amazaing surf wake. I did this at the end of last year and I wish I would have done it from day one.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-05-2006, 5:07 PM Reply   
J-Rod, I have those two tanks from a Malibu VLX that I am not gonna use. If you wanna swing by and pick them up, have at it. If they work for ya, we can work a trade or something, or cheap cash.

I'm going with sacks all around
Old    orgborn            05-05-2006, 7:34 PM Reply   
joe 788
what size bags did u replace the hard tanks in your boat with and is it an 04 x2 I am deciding on which size to buy and the 750+ seemed too big. If u dont mind explaning how u did it and what they look like full.
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-05-2006, 7:57 PM Reply   
Mike, I have the Pro X 750s. If you want the sacs to fill all the way up to 750+, you won't be able to use the stock overflow/thru hull fitting. This is because when they are full, they are actually above the thru hull, so the water just leaks out. If you only want 500lbs or so, you can just plumb them thru the overflow like the stock tanks, and it will leak out when they get to that level.

The sacs fill the ENTIRE storage compartment, front to back, side to side, and top to bottom. There's enough room for a few vests and ropes, but that's it. When they are empty, you have WAY more storage than you do with the hard tanks.

I used to run a 350lb sac on each side plumbed in with the stock hard tank, but there wasn't enough weight in the rear, and the plumbing system was a pain in the ass.

With the 750s full in the rear, the locker sac full, and a 540 pounder in the bow walkway, the wake is perfect with 3-4 people. It's much better than it was with the 350 pound sacs + hard tanks.

Upload
Upload
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-05-2006, 9:03 PM Reply   
Geez, that swim platform is buried!
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-05-2006, 10:00 PM Reply   
WOW.Talk about an ass heavy set up.

I used to run the 400lbs(custom)right next to the hard tanks,540lbs in the walkway and until I got 600lbs in lead in the bow under the seats,the boat would have problems getting on plane.
Joe,if you want I will let you borrow some of my pop bags for your bow to try?I think you will be amazed how much nicer the wake gets and how much easier the boat planes out.

Just a suggestion.
Old    orgborn            05-05-2006, 10:13 PM Reply   
joe thanks and was it hard to plumb the sacks in from the old hard tank setup.
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-06-2006, 8:12 AM Reply   
Ed, with that lower pitched Acme prop, the boat still planes out in a very reasonable amount of time. We tried to run the stock prop once with this setup, bad idea!

For my length and speed, the wake is perfect with the extra weight in the back. After 500 hours worth of screwing around with weighting, this is as tall and steep as it gets. Riding 24.5MPH at 75 or 80 feet, it's great. For guys that ride 90 feet at 27mph, we have to add another 350 in the bow, or the boat hops like crazy.

The other time it's a problem is in rough water. The wake is literally vertical at the top, and medium chop or big rollers will make it roll right over. I rarely ride in crappy water so it's not really a problem.

Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-06-2006, 9:13 AM Reply   
But it is also not as hard and not nearly as clean on longer lenghts.Any little wind chop rolls the wake over that way,It's like in a Super Air(very frustrating)

I'm glad you like your set up.

(Message edited by big_ed_x2 on May 06, 2006)
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-07-2006, 4:13 AM Reply   
Joe, couldn't you just put some type of ball valve on the overflow tube so that when you want to fill them to 750 it wouldn't leak out? Then when you're ready to dump it, you'd just turn the valve and let it go....
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-08-2006, 6:30 PM Reply   
bump because I wanna know if it'll work.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-08-2006, 7:42 PM Reply   
Well, I have never had anywhere near 10 people on my X2, and hopefully I never do. But, in that case the boat could be way overloaded and the sacks might even be a better idea. I could run them half full or less.

Wow... Joe anytime I get anywhere close to that amount of weight in the back of my X2 the wake turns to grap further back than 70 feet. I would be interested in the rest of your formula for weighting your boat to offset that.

I currently have the 250 hard tanks plus 200 in lead on each side (total of 450 on each side of the motor) and it's perfect. I also have a couple hundred in lead scattered throughout the cockpit. In the front I have 350 in lead under the nose cushions plus a 550 sac in the walkthrough.

I was thinking about 500s in the back.

For overflow, I just need sacks with two connections, right? One to pump in/out, and one for overflow, correct?

(Message edited by jarrod on May 08, 2006)
Old     (gdog)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-08-2006, 9:46 PM Reply   
j-rod,

trailered my vlx with 250 lbs lead in front and another 250lbs in the back didnt notice a difference on gas mileage or trailer performance(i was concerned at first with all xtra weight) i took the lead and hard tanks out of the back and replaced with 2 400 lbs sacks. used the stock pumps. its strange but my wake is better with the water weight in the back. i dont think my tanks in back were holding the whole 250lbs like malibu claims. anyway if you need a couple sacks i have 2 550lbs sacks that are new. 2 big for my malibu' rear compartment. i'm close to the delta. let me know if you want to try em'. no charge on the sacks just a couple of pulls behind the x-2!!!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-08-2006, 10:11 PM Reply   
Deal!

It's not just the trailering I'm concerned about. I have close to 1000 in lead. Sacs in the back would remove 40% of the weight I haul around looking for good water. The fact that it's in the back makes fuel consumtion worse.

Can you ride tomorrow at 1PM at Orwood? Just me, the wife, and you. I would love to try the sacs. If you can't ride tomorrow, let me know when you can hook up.

Thanks gdog!

Old     (gdog)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-09-2006, 8:50 PM Reply   
jrod,

just shoot me an email or call my cell 505-9484. got wed off going to ride early then i got some business to tend to. next week i have mon and wed off, maybe one of those days will work. fridays i eather go in at 2 or get off at 2. anyway will work something out.
later
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-09-2006, 11:18 PM Reply   
oh you fool you never told me could ride fridays also. No Gerry keep them for Marry Jane I will put them on the floor. (JK) hook J-rod up he is one cool cat. Maybe he will up date your Absoulte with a 06 flame.
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-09-2006, 11:24 PM Reply   
Damn you guys with all this midweek early morning riding. I need to renegotiate my arrangement at work. Or I could keep it simple and quit. I'm sure I could ride like mad for a month or two before the bills catch up with me.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-10-2006, 7:58 AM Reply   
Paul,

Get into sales. The money can be good and the hours are great.

(Message edited by jarrod on May 10, 2006)
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-10-2006, 8:20 AM Reply   
The only problem with having midweeks off to board is you have to ride with all those cops and firefighters!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-10-2006, 8:35 AM Reply   
Not too bad! I have two post-op thirds!

Thanks Jeff. Stay away from the ice cream man today. Order yourself a bowflex instead!

Gerry, I'm going to waterford today. I'll give you a call.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-10-2006, 9:25 AM Reply   
in my 00 xstar I was running the same 750s in the back, the locker sack full, ~400 lbs of lead in the walkway, then a 450 across the bow seats (supported by the lead). the wake r0x03d. It took a bit for the boat to plane, but I have a new acme that will hopefully take care of that
Old     (tazbike)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-10-2006, 12:11 PM Reply   
I have a friend with a MC 205V (X2/X1)(use to be mine) that would like some hard tanks does anyone have some they'd like to sell? I saw than many of you have taken them out.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-10-2006, 1:32 PM Reply   
I will in the near future, yeah.