Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (supreme_rob)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-13-2006, 5:35 PM Reply   
Newbie question...we have a direct drive with a stock ballast system that will hold approx. 300lbs of water,we usually have 6 people on our boat is it possible to surf this set-up considering that we have never tried it and it would be just something to have fun with when we are not wakeboarding or is it just a waste of time with this little amount of ballast and a direct drive boat.
Old    surfdad            06-13-2006, 6:32 PM Reply   
Personally I think it is. It's not GREAT, but for simply having fun at the end of the day, it's doable. You might have to cram your "people ballast" pretty close together and be sure to have an appropriately sized board and you'll be set for fun. The attached picture is behind Ed Geary's Moomba Outback with two sac's totaling maybe 600 lbs of ballast, 5 people and in 10 foot deep water. Notice I am on an Inland Red Tide - BIG BOARD Upload

(Message edited by surfdad on June 13, 2006)
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-13-2006, 7:51 PM Reply   
Rob
Check out the videos at www.TrickBoardz.com
They were all taken behind two direct drive boats. I am very pleased with the wakes behind the direct drive Tiges, tall, clean and fairly long. Our older Nautiques wave is tall and clean but short. If you pump up your waves with additional ballast, let us know how well your Supreme works.
Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-13-2006, 8:02 PM Reply   
I have a 96 malibu sunsetter direct drive and posted the same question a couple months back. I have a wedge and two 440lb "launch pads" that go behind the motor and to the side of the surfer. With about 4 people in the boat it makes a big enough wake to surf and do some slides and cuts.

Upload

Upload

(Message edited by Souperfly on June 13, 2006)
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-14-2006, 9:49 AM Reply   
Jeff, those sacs have a capacity of 600lb each, so I guesstimate we had at least 1000 lbs of ballast.

It certainly was enough ballast to surf without cramming people onto the corner of the boat.

That was a fun day.

The water wasn't that dark before you got in it.

Old    surfdad            06-14-2006, 10:01 AM Reply   
Was I supposed to shower before getting in the lake? :-) The only warning I saw was don't feed the gators. :-)

I couldn't remember the capacity of those sac's. I know we had them only partially filled. Yes indeed, it was a great day on the water.