Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 06, 2005

Old    mark_74            08-29-2005, 2:00 PM Reply   
What is a good price for a 2003 X-7? What is this boat like? Pros and cons? Anyone happen to have a pic of the wake? How much difference should it make to the price and subsequently the resale price when I came to sell it if the boat was initially registered in Asia and then brought back here?
Old    byerly137pro            08-29-2005, 2:13 PM Reply   
The wake is really narrow, and mellow. You'll hit the flats pretty much everytime. Really good quality inside though, and good for skiing and barefooting.
Old    robertt            08-29-2005, 2:21 PM Reply   
I have an 04.

Like most questions like this....its hard to give you good information without knowing your wants and desires.

Mastercraft is a top notch brand, resale is the best around.

On the other hand, the X7 is a ski boat that they throw a tower on. Not to say that it doesn't throw a great wake, it does, but its not going to be as good as just about any other Vdrive on the market.

In my opinion, you will get a much more accurate focused answer to the "best boat" question if you give honest answers to the following questions: Answer these and I bet we can help you a ton! I have already put over 100 hours on a X7 this year.

Here goes:

1. What percentage of the time do you use the boat for wakeboarding?
2. How about water skiing? Slalom?
3. Barefooting?
4. What is your level of riding on each of those disciplines?
5. How many people typically will you have go out with you?
6. Will you do a lot of tubing/cruising?
7. Where will you use the boat? Any restrictions? What are the normal conditions on the river/lake? Choppy?
8. How much is money/cost a factor? How much does quality mean to you (in other words are you the type of guy that would rather have a 2 year old Mastercraft or a brand new Moomba). Its an honest question, no reason to take offense Moomba guys.
9. Will it be on a lift or will you have to drag it out of the water every time you use it?
10. What will you be pulling it with, and for what typical distances?
11. What other boats have you been in, and what did you like/dislike about them and the way they handled?

Answer those, and we can hook you up. If not, you will get answers from owners claiming that what they have is the absolute best solution and anything else is stupid.

By the way, I have an X7 but I will be the first to say its not for everyone, and unless you are not the typical wakeboarder I will probably say its not best for you either...we will see.

By the way, Nick and Julz use a X7 at their wakeboard school a ton, and they have a factory sponsored Xstar right next to it. The wake is perfect for beginners and for certain moves according to them. I had people throwing crazy stuff behind mine this weekend. We even surfed for a few hours.

Old    mark_74            08-29-2005, 2:52 PM Reply   
1. Probably around 70% wakeboarding. Some wakeskate and some slalom ski answers no.2 aswell.
3.Not for barefoot.
4.Intermediate on a wakeboard, beginners/intermediates would also be using it.
5.typically probably looking at between 3 and 6 people going out.
6.not an awful lot.
7.conditions are usually quite good, doesn't get too choppy.
8. would rather have 2 y/o MC...
9.wouldn't be on a lift.
10. would be buying a tow vehicle, just to tow the boat, haven't looked into models yet, wouldn't be towing a long way generally, but once a year a few hundred miles for hols.
11. Haven't owned a proper boat before, but have been behind an MC Prostar 190, an X-star and a few ski nautiques, and I must say everything about the MCs was nicer, but then again ski natuiques aren't for wakeboarding. but quality, interior etc... I noticed the X-star was a bit sluggish when in it though... to be honest I don't know an awful lot about the technical parts of boats so any advice is appreciated.
Old    robertt            08-29-2005, 3:04 PM Reply   
OK, knowing that here is my .02.

1st, an X7 is the same as a 197 as far as the hull goes. It comes with a single ballast bag. I don't use mine, I have about 650lbs of lead in mine and it throws a great shaped wake with that amount of weight. I can take a picture and post it if you would like.

I usually have an equal amount of riders, you can easily fit 3-6 people in an X7 comfortably.

You were riding behind two polar opposite boats, a Prostar 190 and an Xstar are about as opposite as you can get. The X7 is in between.

One huge advantage of the X7 is that it will fit in a normal garage and that its fairly light (under 3,000lbs) so you can tow it with a fairly small vehicle. Get into a larger boat, and you will need a larger tow vehicle.

Gas usage is also an issue, due to it being a smaller lighter boat you will use much less gas.

Yes, the MC are top notch. I think the Build quality is second to none. You will not go wrong.

Personally, all things considered, I would look for a X9 due to the larger size. Also, a 205V would be ideal for you.

My lake has alot of restrictions, so the X7 was the best "wakeboard" boat that was allowed. For my purposes its great, but make no mistake I would rather have an X2 or any of the other boats.

Having that said, if you are looking for the highest possible build quality and a do it all boat, the X7 will not disappoint. However, its still a ski boat, not a dedicated wakeboard boat. It was designed as a world class competition slalom boat.

Other than that I can only add that I love my boat, and would buy another in an instant. It all depends on your dealer and your local market.

I am assuming you are not in the united states, is that true?
Old    robertt            08-29-2005, 3:05 PM Reply   
Oh, one more thing....the X7 drives like a Ferrari.

No comparison between an Xstar or other Vdrive and a direct drive.

If you like driving, and consider handling and performance a huge issue, you will LOVE the X7.
Old    mark_74            08-29-2005, 3:12 PM Reply   
OK thanks for the advice Robert, I appreciate the help.