Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-22-2005, 7:09 AM Reply   
I have the stock Clarion deck on my 2002 SAN, no RCA adapters. Does the FM Converter for the iPod work well? Second question...if i was to switch out decks, any recommendations on a good solid head unit? Thanks!
Old     (sulmaxwell)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-22-2005, 12:02 PM Reply   
You can hard wire through the clarion deck, we did it on my buddies X star..works better than the FM converter, I found the sound quality is poor with the FM. The newest and best is the new Alpine head unit with I pod adapter, works great, only thing is you have to ensure all your MP3's are good quality..I have run into issues with that..so nice to run the ipod in the boat...
Old    dliguori            05-22-2005, 8:51 PM Reply   
First off - I would stay away from the FM modulators (I've yet to hear one that doesn't sound like crap). I just put a Pioneer AVIC-N1 in my truck and I bought their ipod interface. It is pretty cool because it turns the ipod on and off and charges it and you can control the ipod from the head unit so that you can stash it away from any water spashes and where nobody will find it and steel it. PROBLEM IS: it only displays 8 or 10 digits of text which obviously sucks, but it does scroll the text so its not that big a deal. Also that deck is really expensive because it has navigation/dvd and what not, but the ipod adapter, called the CD-IB100, will work on almost all pioneer decks from the past several years(not sure how far back). It works off the IP-bus that all pioneer units have come with for some time now(the bus that cd changers are run off of). They can be found for around 100 bucks on ebay and in my opinion are worth it. There is an in and out on the unit so you can use cd changers or other pioneer accessories too. I got Sirius for my truck which is pretty cool and can be used in conjunction with the CD-IB100. There is also a Pioneer deck that has additional control features that are only available for that unit(I believe it is called the P5700 but you should double check - It might be expensive too, I have no idea what the MSRP is). I know nothing about Alpine's ipod interface but I know they make one. Being how expensive that Ipod is it may be worth the cash to buy an interface rather than simply plugging into the back of a deck - I dont know if you have to worry about theft on your lake, but water damage is obviously a problem for all of us! Good luck! Sorry for the excessively long post.

(Message edited by dliguori on May 22, 2005)
Old     (aidan)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-22-2005, 9:03 PM Reply   
Just got Alpine deck ( $179 ) with 2 RCA's and 1 RCA sub, with Ipod interface ($99) , it works great. The only thing is you might want to upgrade deck with something that has remote?
Old     (aidan)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-22-2005, 9:04 PM Reply   
P.S.

My IPOD has 8000 good songs on it....CD's never again.
Old    dliguori            05-22-2005, 9:07 PM Reply   
By the way newer Pioneer decks have more functions than the one I have.

From Pioneer Website:
Compatibility
For use with Pioneer “iPod® Adapter Ready” Headunits and AV Receivers. Compatible models include:
• AVIC-N2, AVIC-D1, AVH-P7500DVD, AVH-P6600DVD, AVH-P5700DVD, DVH-P5000MP
• DEH-P9600MP, DEH-P8600MP, DEH-P80MP, DEH-P7700MP, DEH-P6700MP, DEH-P4700MP, DEH-P3700MP, FH-P5000MP, FH-P4200MP, DEH-P77DH, DEH-P47DH
• DEX-P9, DEH-P960MP, DEH-P860MP, DEH-P8MP, DEH-P770MP, DEH-P670MP, and DEH-P470MP
• “External Unit” Compatibility with many additional Pioneer Headunit and AV Receiver models.

www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_2007714_192089315,00.html

Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       05-23-2005, 6:50 AM Reply   
You can get a Clarion XMD3 off ebay for about $140 (refurbished). It will be a direct replacement for your XMD1 (assuming you have XMD1)and comes with an extra set of RCA (AUX) inputs.

(Message edited by Phat in Cincy on May 23, 2005)
Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-23-2005, 7:36 AM Reply   
Yeah i also have the alpine deck i love it i got the CDa-9851 and the ipod interface. look on ebay they have some good deals on them.

Old    robertt            05-23-2005, 7:45 AM Reply   
The Alpine I-pod interface is ideal...but I went cheap and ordered an adapter for ten bucks that does the same thing except I cant use the head unit to change songs (I like the I-pod controls better anyway).

It is basically an input jack that plugs into the head unit that fits the headphone jack on the I-pod. Again, not as clean but for the money its hard to beat. Plus, you can use it on anything...even a little DVD player if you wanted to. I am not above sitting in the middle of the lake late at night and watching something with a few friends...its actually pretty cool.

Another advantage of having a cord with a headphone jack is that if a buddy has a different setup, even a cd player, it can be used too.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-23-2005, 9:09 AM Reply   
Paul, I think I like your idea best, especially as I'm somewhat technically inept (though not totally). I'm assuming that i can simply switch out the decks, that all the connectors will match up, I'll just have a set of RCA input adapters that will allow me to use the ipod, correct?
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       05-23-2005, 9:35 AM Reply   
Tommy,
Exactly. Just undo all connection in the back, pop off the front sideplate covers, remove 4 screws, remove head unit, and then reverse the procedure.

The XMD3 will NOT control your iPod.

BTW...if you have the 6 disc changer, it won't connect directly to the XMD3. I suppose there might be some kind of adapter, but since I'll use my MP3 player 99% of the time I (a) didn't care and (b) removed the changer altogether. My transome remote for the XMD1 works fine with the XMD3.

ALMOST forgot...if you go this route and after you install the XMD3, you don't get sound out of one of your channels, don't fret. There is a setting w/i the head unit to take care of it. It should be in the manual.

P

(Message edited by Phat in Cincy on May 23, 2005)
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-23-2005, 10:01 AM Reply   
Paul, thanks. One more question...I see the refurbs on eBay, definitely a less expensive way to go, but they worry me a bit as to whether I buy one of these things and it's a POS. Sounds as though you bought a refurb...no problems, I'm assuming?
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       05-23-2005, 10:28 AM Reply   
Tommy,
I understand the hesitation. I had the same. BUT, they are supposed to be factory refurbished to new condition.

I paid a little more from mine from a site that carries a 1yr warranty on their products. Sorry, I don't have the ebay seller available right now.

I have had ZERO problems with mine (knock on wood), but it's only been installed about 2 weeks.

P