Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (fletch_tx)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-19-2006, 11:00 PM Reply   
I'm considering an 06 Tundra 4x4 V8 Double Cab or an 06 4Runner 4x4 V8 as my next tow vehicle. I know based on the other thread that most feel that the Tundra is pretty solid. I am however considering the 4Runner because it's a bit smaller...easier to park...better gas mileage...I can lock up bikes in the back...etc. Would I be making a mistake going with the 4Runner? I'm towing an 05 SANTE 210....with 400-600 extra lbs of lead in the bow.

On Toyota's website...they show the 4Runner to have 7000lbs vs the Tundra's 6500lb towing capacity....weird!
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       12-20-2006, 6:27 AM Reply   
YOu might get away with that for a season or two in Texas, but long term I think you'll have issus with the trannie. That boat with lead will weigh in( on the trailer)with gear and gas close to 6000+ and the frame of the four runner is pretty small (short wheel base) to pull such a big boat. It may feel like it's pulling you. I pulled my '01 Tige 21V with an Explorer for a year and the trannie was singing by the end of it. The Tundra would be better I think..
Old     (ai_rider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-20-2006, 6:41 AM Reply   
Mark,
I tow with an 04 Tundra double cab and I think it does a great job. I have never towed with the 4 runner so I would not be able to make any kind of comment on that vehicle other than you are dealing with the shorter wheel base. Not sure if this helps, but the Tundra should come with a transmission cooler as well. I am unsure if the same is true for the 4 runner. Again, I do not think you will be disappointed with the Tundra. Good luck with your purchase.
Old     (fletch_tx)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-20-2006, 7:12 AM Reply   
the weight of the boat/trailer is 4300....with lead around 4700-5000lbs...plus a bit of extra gear of course..
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-20-2006, 7:52 AM Reply   
I have an 06 T4R and pull the same boat. It does very well. No it is not a diesel, but the only time I am reminded of that is up long steep hills where it does need to kick down (compared to brother’s F250 SD). On flat ground with that amount of weight, it accelerates quite briskly. I also get about 12mpg on fairly flat highway (~70mph).

The T4R does have a smaller wheelbase (~110" I think), but I have never felt like the boat was pushing me around, even steep hills. The smaller wheelbase also makes it A LOT easier to maneuver the boat in tight spaces, small changes in wheel make big changes in trailer angle fast. This actually takes a little practice, but is very nice once you have adjusted.

Check out www.toyota-4runner.org for a lot of towing experiences. Tranny problems are very rare. The limited V8 models have a transmission cooler stock, not sure of the other models.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       12-20-2006, 7:56 AM Reply   
Wow that boat is a LOT lighter than I thought. The 07's weight 3800- I didn't realize there was that big of a change. You're probably OK then. M Tige weighs 5600 on the scale dry- I don't really care what the "spec" says- as I have weighed the boat and that was too much for the Explorer!
Old     (fletch_tx)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-20-2006, 1:37 PM Reply   
thanks for all the replies everyone...

So...Thomas...do you feel like your 4runner may get pushed around when the ground is wet/slippery? during a rain..etc?
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-20-2006, 2:04 PM Reply   
ONE THING is for sure. Put that lead weight so it's over your axle. Tongue weights are always low, so DO NOT put the extra weight there. Period. Other than that, have fun. either rig is awesome.
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-20-2006, 3:39 PM Reply   
I don't tow too often in the rain. But I have a couple of times, and I didn't feel any less control, other than the fact that you have to give a little more room for stopping (just like driving anything in the rain/snow/etc).

I make this recommendation despite having crappy surge drum brakes on one axle (on tandem). Even when the brakes decide to get goofy and buck a little, it is not too dramatic. I have only done two panic stops from highway speeds (stupid deer) and again, nothing dramatic.
Old     (hbskier)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-20-2006, 4:24 PM Reply   
I have an '05 V8 4x4 4Runner. It tows REALLY well. There are so many shared powertrain parts with the LandCruiser - that have shown great durability. The assumption that the tranny will only last a couple of seasons is nuts and unsubstantiated. I believe the tranny to be one of the most efficient when comparing engines of similar power vs what kind of turns and torque you get out of each gear ratio. While my PS190 does not weigh as much as your boat, I towed the thing fully loaded to the gills with gear for a trip to MT that put TTL weight close to your estimates. I pulled up an 8 mile 10.5% grade going over the Tetons just fine. [I have since installed more efficient disc brakes ;)]. So, don't let the pic fool you on size and wieght, as others have pointed out, I am a giant.

There are a couple of guys over on TMCOwners.com that pull their 209/X9s (similar weight) just fine - eve in Texas - with all of those big mountains [just kidding Will].

Go try a T4R, they are a lot of fun to drive. Especially the Sport Ed. Just make sure it matches your boat.

Upload

(Message edited by HBSkier on December 20, 2006)
Old    stillstandin            12-20-2006, 4:43 PM Reply   
Cool pic
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-20-2006, 4:48 PM Reply   
Mark If you have the time to wait and the cash I would hold out for the 07 Tundra. The powertrain is supposed to be beefed up considerably.

I tow a SN2001 with an 00 Tundra. While it gets me where I want to go. I do find it a little lacking in power. Also, towing tends to cut the MPG in half. Thats at 65 MPH.

Sorry I have no info on the 4runner.

Oh and yes you may want to at least balance that lead out over the axles.

(Message edited by derby on December 20, 2006)
Old     (hbskier)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-20-2006, 5:53 PM Reply   
Good point on the 07 Tundra Derby. There was a substantial power kick to the 05+ V8 though.

Note -- the more efficient brake reference was for the trailer not the 4Runner.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       12-21-2006, 6:25 AM Reply   
Yeah you'll be fine with that set up for that boat- especially if you're not going over the mountains all of the time. Ryan, I was living in Seattle at the time and driving over the cascades a few times a year, pulling my Tige- which weighs a LOT more than the MC's or CC's listed here and the trannie on the Ford Explorer (mine was a 1998) was not very good. Now I pull with an F150 and it's been fine. I think I could have gotten away with the Explorer longer if I were here in Minnesota at the time ( there really is a huge difference in the terrain- even just pulling around twon in Seattle VS Minneapolis) adn also put a Load compensating hitch on. Oh well, it's all good now.
Old     (air_dooley)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-22-2006, 1:06 AM Reply   
Mark, You will find that the wider the wheelbase the more stable your towing will be. Pulling your 5000+ boat with your family or friends means a truck that has the capabilities to tow the weight of your boat as well as all your gear and guests. I owned a 4 runner and was not happy with its stability. Just mho.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-22-2006, 12:58 PM Reply   
The guy I used to share my boat with has a 05 2WD 4runner with the v8 and towing package. That thing far and away towed our 22 SSV better than my 04 ext. cab Silverado with the 5.3. It seems to have much more power, better traction, far superior turning radius, better gas mileage, better braking, and IMO drove much better than my truck does. When he bought that as a tow vehicle I had my doubts, but was completely blown away after driving it around with the boat in tow. I do agree, however, with whoever said to move the lead out of the bow and over the axle. Things will feel much more stable going down the road.
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-23-2006, 9:24 AM Reply   
They just look good together (even with a dirty trailer!!)

Upload
Old     (fletch_tx)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-23-2006, 11:09 AM Reply   
nice setup Thomas....looks awesome!!

I ended up getting an 06 Tundra 4x4 double cab, because...

-I'll be towing 45 minutes away every weekend(sat and sun)
-I'll be towing 2 hours away a couple times a month
-I'm betting that all my wet gear(boating, biking and hockey) will stink up the back of a 4Runner if I was to get one.
-it's nice to have a truck bed for firewood and other misc stuff that you may not want to put in the back of the 4Runner...

I'd rather have the 4Runner as my daily driver of course...

Now my central Austin hippie neighbors are gonna lynch me for buying a larger truck! :-)

(Message edited by fletch_tx on December 23, 2006)