Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 23, 2009

Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-31-2009, 8:12 AM Reply   
Looks like the lake is going to grace us with perfect conditions for the Sine demo today boys.

Upload

Plenty of pics and opinions to come.
Old     (gunnertom4593)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-31-2009, 8:52 AM Reply   
Oh man lucky! On the demo and the water. Let us know how it is right when you get back in!
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-31-2009, 10:46 AM Reply   
what is Sine?
Old     (waketherainbow)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-31-2009, 10:58 AM Reply   
Sine is a new flex company
Old     (gunnertom4593)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-31-2009, 11:00 AM Reply   
They are apparently different from the other companies though. More of a "hybrid" of traditional boards and flex boards. I'm curious to find out how well they will work.
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-31-2009, 11:09 AM Reply   
Yes....waiting for some reviews. Very interesting design. Thanks for taking the time to keep us posted!
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-31-2009, 11:41 AM Reply   
The board tip/tail looks a lot like the Premier to me. Let us know if it has some of the same characteristics. I have always liked the Premier.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-31-2009, 12:41 PM Reply   
I saw the SAN head north on Sammamish about 2 hours ago. They are probably enjoying 40 degree butta right now.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       01-31-2009, 2:22 PM Reply   
Well I will be the first to post up. The water was slightly choppy but not bad for me. Eddie had some rough conditions though. It has been years since I rode a premier, but there are absolutely no similarities between the Sine and older (circa 2002 Premier). I currently ride a LF Axis and I am looking for a faster board with good pop. I was looking foreword to trying the S4. Anyhow, thanks to Cliff, the Guys at Sine, and Tommy with the Nautique 230 I got to try out the new board. Please take this review fwiw as I am a hack with a limited bag of tricks. The board is fast compared to the Axis and Watson. I did not think it was loose at all, but had no problem breaking the board loose for some power slides and sliding out of a sketchy landing. I liked the speed, the pop, and the landings of the board, I would rate all 3 better than my current setup.

I have tried both of the slingshot boards and really liked the feel of the Sine better. Getting the toe side pop took a little explaining, but then I did nail it on the 1st attempt and it felt good (nice floaty pop with a soft landing)

I was a little off the ollies but I really like to pump a board and that does not work as well on the flex boards, It is more of skate ollie for this board, load the front foot and then pop.

It is a really fun board, and I hope people get a chance to try it out. I was definitely impressed with how well it rode
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-31-2009, 3:38 PM Reply   
pics ?
Old     (bailey)      Join Date: May 2001       01-31-2009, 3:46 PM Reply   
I will post up some of the pics I took later on this evening. We actually did have a little bit of smooth water at the south end.
Thanks guys for the demo. I will post up a review later on.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-31-2009, 4:08 PM Reply   
I just checked out their website, they definitely look way sicker than sling**** with the molded in fins!!
Old     (chrism4668)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-31-2009, 4:39 PM Reply   
will sine bring out binding? or just boards?
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-31-2009, 5:01 PM Reply   
Which board did you ride?
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-31-2009, 5:32 PM Reply   
Finally got the boat home and put away!

Today was fun... other than the zipper blowing out on my drysuit and me getting to swim in 40 degree water.

As for the Sine,

First the plus side.

I liked the way the board flexes. Not as much as my Roam, or the Slingshot but far more than a normal foam core board. This board rides like a normal board until you really load it up, then bam it pops you! The thing I like about it is the board flexes evenly and the pop is consistent and easy to read once you get the feel for it.

The thing I absolutely loooooooove about the board is it's landings. I'm 225lbs and I don't like landing hard. This board lands softer than any board I've ridden hands down.

Now for the downside.

To me the board feels slow on the water. I'm not sure if it's just because I've been on the Roam so long or what, but I felt like I was sucked to the surface unless I really railed on it to make it go.

The other thing that bothered me was the fins. I'd like to ride one of these boards with about half the size fins it has. Again this may be the fact that I'm coming from a Roam but I'd love to shave the fins down to about .25 and really loosen it up.

All and all I like the board. It's different from anything I've ridden and it kinda makes you want to ride it a little more to see what it can do with some time on it. It's got me curious enough that I'm gonna take it out again next weekend and ride a couple more sets.

Thanks to Zach, Tom, and Robby for taking the time to come out in freezing conditions and let us give it a go.

As for pix, there had to be five guys taking pics all day. You guys need to post up!
Old     (danielkuykendall)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-31-2009, 7:21 PM Reply   
Hey all,
I went out with Brad Gearhart today and shot him with his new Custom SINE board.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (coyotesexual)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-31-2009, 7:26 PM Reply   
Brad Gearhart is the man, he just rides women's boots.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-31-2009, 7:46 PM Reply   
cool stuff. thanx for posting

i am guessing people could grind down the fins if they wanted to, but not on a demo of course ;)
Old     (bailey)      Join Date: May 2001       01-31-2009, 8:21 PM Reply   
I guess I just don't have the stones to grind down the fins on a $500 board. Upload
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-31-2009, 9:44 PM Reply   
That's it Rob???

You sissy ninni wuss kitty!

I know Steve was taking pictures all day?
Old     (bailey)      Join Date: May 2001       01-31-2009, 11:36 PM Reply   
I am trying to make the pictures bigger but still upload. My internet connection sucks.
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-01-2009, 12:28 AM Reply   
I went straight from the dock to my house to grab my snowboard and went straight to Snoqualmie. I'm just getting home, I've got a bunch of pics that I've gotta go through that I'll post up tomorrow.

On days like today you've gitta love the Pacific NW, wakeboard in the morning, snowboard in the afternoon/evening....
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-01-2009, 12:59 AM Reply   

quote:

On days like today you've gitta love the Pacific NW, wakeboard in the morning, snowboard in the afternoon/evening....

just the pnw?
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-01-2009, 6:02 AM Reply   
Cliff, Which board did you demo? Both of them? It looks like the custom board is the way to go since you can Burger King it - Have it your way. Half fins, size, width, etc..
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-01-2009, 9:52 AM Reply   
How about a review of the 230 while you're at it? I have a feeling if I upgrade to a 23 footer next year that will be at the top of my list. I'll be getting out on one this spring when it gets closer to full wetsuit season. I'm not quite as crazy as the rest of you. Thanks for all the heads up on the Sine boards.
Old     (tommmyd)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-01-2009, 1:40 PM Reply   
Here are some photos from the Sine Demo... I was kind of bummed that we had to split into two boats and couldn't get more shots of everyone. Next time!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=61290&l=bccfb&id=506963262
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-01-2009, 1:45 PM Reply   
Nice pics

those GB boots looked real good on the custom black board... almost looked like they were made to match ;)
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-01-2009, 7:12 PM Reply   
Looks like a solid and fun board. I look forward to seeing more Sine in the future. I'm pretty torn these days, I want to go flex, just waiting to figure out which deck will fit my style the best.
Old     (bailey)      Join Date: May 2001       02-01-2009, 8:18 PM Reply   
The water was glass most of the day today. Can't have everything I guess.
The board does look a bit like the old premier but it doesn't really ride the same. It does feel a little bit slow but the old premier was a tank. This board has decent speed and really nice pop. Landings were nice and smooth if you landed a bit tail heavy. I thought the board was a bit sticky but it is a good compromise for most people. I like a really loose board but I didn't have any trouble breaking it loose. I applaud the guys who are making it and pushing what can be done with the materials on hand. The molded fins that flex are the next generation of flex wakeboards. You can't get a complete picture of a board by riding it once but overall first impressions are very good. If you are looking for a flex board you should definitely check out the sine.
Thanks to the guys for bringing it out to let us ride and thanks to Steve for the use of the close toe bindings. They are the best thing ever for cold weather riding.
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-01-2009, 8:49 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-01-2009, 8:50 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-01-2009, 8:55 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-01-2009, 8:57 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-01-2009, 11:07 PM Reply   
that center spine is darn near tip to tail!
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-02-2009, 6:52 AM Reply   
I see a lot of pics but im more interested in having a q&a with those riders who all got to demo them..i want to know how they felt riding wise,what they compare to in foam or other flex brands,how they felt on surface rotations,pop,release off wake etc etc.what level of riders are on the demos in the pics??

lets get to it..

from the pics the shape seems to look like a marius but the bottom like an old premier/era and the rider look good on them.

However really if these are advanced to outlaw type rider level then their feedback can be taken with a grain of salt(obvously they can tell you how the board reacted and felt) because most of those guys can ride anything and make them look good but its the riders that only perform well on certain boards,you know us regular guys that can really tell you what they new board might compare too.

Precede :-)
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-02-2009, 8:59 AM Reply   
"i want to know how they felt riding wise,what they compare to in foam or other flex boards"

I thought I did that?

I liked the way the board flexes. Not as much as my Roam, or the Slingshot but far more than a normal foam core board. This board rides like a normal board until you really load it up, then bam it pops you! The thing I like about it is the board flexes evenly and the pop is consistent and easy to read once you get the feel for it.

what level of riders are on the demos in the pics??

All levels, from hack weekend warriors (me) with limited skills, to intermediate riders with spins and rolls of varied complexity. Zach thought it a good idea to let all levels give the boards a shot.

'However really if these are advanced to outlaw type rider level then their feedback can be taken with a grain of salt(obvously they can tell you how the board reacted and felt) because most of those guys can ride anything and make them look good but its the riders that only perform well on certain boards,you know us regular guys that can really tell you what they new board might compare too."

I let Zach know from the onset we would be giving him our honest opinions whether good or bad. None of us work for nor are sponsored by Sine. Our opinions are 100% objective.

If you really want to get a better critique of the board your best bet is to get a set on one.

Hope that helps.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-02-2009, 9:33 AM Reply   
nice naughty(X2)
cool boards too.
Old     (brad004)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-02-2009, 10:27 AM Reply   
Hey guys,
I’ve been on the Sine for a few weeks now and it’s really cool to finally get to hear what other people are thinking about it. The more you ride this board the more you’ll like it. I would say it is one of, if not the fastest board I have ever ridden and by far the lightest. I noticed a couple of people said it felt slow and I would have agreed with you after my first set. Since I had only ridden a flex board twice before my first set on the Sine, I was riding it too tail heavy and sort of trying to feel the flex out which ended up slowing me down. Ride it like a normal board and it rips. The pop is insane, it is has more of a consistent even pop than the other flex boards I’ve ridden and it will surprise you with how hard it explodes off of the wake. As everyone else said it lands like a dream. I took a set on my old board last week and was right back on the Sine the next day. I’m hooked. I’m gonna take it to the rail park soon so I’ll let you guys know how that works out.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       02-02-2009, 10:50 AM Reply   
I will restate that I was really surprised that I liked the board as much as I did after one set. And Bill, I would consider myself very much of just a recreational rider. I live on the lake and get out quite a lot, but i only have some basic grabs and a couple different 3's. I do think however, that a board like this will help me get that toeside backroll that I was going after last year. I demoed a lot of boards last year before choosing the Axis, I still really like the board but was hoping for a faster board with a little more pop, I was thinking the S4 would be my next board, but the speed and pop of the Sine were great and I think the landings sealed the deal. I am hoping to get one more set on it to see how it spins, If all goes well I am ready to grab one.

I ride a 138, maybe they'll give me a break if I let others come out and demo it all year
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-02-2009, 1:11 PM Reply   
Thanks for the report guys! I'm really bummed I couldn't get over there and check it out

The board sounds interesting and I would love to give it a try.

As far as the speed goes, I know some of the guys who demoed the Sine ride the O'Brien Natural, which is one of the fastest boards out there, so I can see why they might have said it is slow.

Speaking of fast, it would have been sweet to see just how fast Cliff can move, after he blew out his zipper in his drysuit.

Troy, you need to get out on the Decade before you make any decisions!
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-02-2009, 1:59 PM Reply   
sorry cliff i must have scrolled so fast past your first post to get to the pics i didnt see your post..

cool thanks

btw i didnt mean a pro wouldnt give good feedback but compared to us regualr riders.they tend can make a board ride well because of their advanced edging techniques.Also pics of any pro throwing down and going huge isnt a true measure for me to compare how it would react for me as pros go big and make pics look unreal no matter what stick they are on.

however i see you said many levels rode it and that what i wanted to hear.did you throw any inverts and spins on it cliff?how did it feel on either?
Old     (sine_wakeboards)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-02-2009, 4:36 PM Reply   
Thank you to everyone for coming out and getting some water time on the boards. I just wish I could have jumped on the other boat while everyone rode to check you all out. The pictures look great.

We will be back soon as the water warms up a few more degrees. Cliff still has one of the demo boards this week if anyone wants to try and talk him out of it for an afternoon.

Cheers,

Zach

SINE

Here's the view from where I am sitting at the moment. Pure inspiration.
Upload
Old     (tommmyd)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-02-2009, 4:53 PM Reply   
So I've known Zach for a long time, was one of the few who knew Sine was in the works. Anyway, all my previous posts where coming from the basis of knowing a bit on how what they are made off and how they were made. I got to ride the 142 on Saturday. I have been riding the Ronix One 142 for two seasons. I also have been coaching at Bow Lake for 3 years and have had the opportunity to ride a ton of boards. Boards I have liked in the past... One, Covin, Watson, Player. I didn't change how I ride and I also felt like it was probably the fastest board I've ridden. I felt that it was extremely loose coming off the wake, which threw me off more than anything cause I'm used to the one and how you have to wait till the fins release completely on that board, where the sine was ready to release before I was. Considering I was having a tough time transitioning up the wake which will take another couple sets, the board still blew me away. I did a series of power carves... I edged really hard away from the wake and initiated a toeside carve similar to a bottom turn when surfing. I was able to carve so hard that I went almost back in the direction I came from keeping the rope tight and then smacked a heelside turn against the wake. I love making powerful surf slashes and the Sine board out performed any board I've ever done that on. Can't wait to ride it some more.

Cliff and anyone in that group, I have wed-fri off this week let me know if you're going out!

(Message edited by tommmyd on February 02, 2009)
Old     (daren)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-02-2009, 5:08 PM Reply   
Here are my thoughts:

The Sine board has some drag when just riding straight behind the boat but it didn't feel slow when cutting. My Natural has way less drag - I rode them back to back. I can't comment much on the pop or landings because I took the first couple of cuts really slow and then tried to throw a couple of backrolls. Both times I way over rotated, bounced, and caught an edge. Lot's of snap off the wake - I remember the Slingshot being pretty snappy on backrolls too.

This board has sharp edges and feels a bit suctioned to the water - I had to pay lot's of attention. I prefer a board that doesn't require a lot of thought (like the Natural). I also want to ride as long as possible so low drag is important to me. This isn't really my style of board but I'd try it again.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-02-2009, 5:09 PM Reply   
I am guessing that no bindings will be in the works this year? (or am i wrong) are bindings something that Sine plans to add to the line?
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       02-02-2009, 6:01 PM Reply   
Tommy it was nice meet you. I really liked the board but was also impressed with the wake behind the 230. When we started, they had the wake setup very steep (just like a 210) and meaty. When I got in Tommy was able to adjust the plate and let some weight out of the rear and the wake similar to my VLX. I am not in the market the for a new boat, but for those who are I would definitely check this boat out. I thought it was great that you could get the aggresive and large vert wake of a 210 (the kind that kicks my butt) or dial it down to rampier wake that is still plenty firm.

Zach, thanks a million for the demo, it is nice to get on a board that is fun to ride from the get go. I would love to get back on it soon, I would assume that Cliff has the 142 for his fat ***, but I think the 138 is for me.

I would still jump on the 142 if we can get Cliff out there this week. Looking at the forecast, tommorrow and Wednesday look like the last two days in the 50's for a while.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       02-02-2009, 6:04 PM Reply   
Jason,

I put the boat back in around April 1st, why don't you bring the Decade over and we'll see if we can get the Sine and compare the two. We can try them off the Malibu wake and the 210 wake.
Old     (fabs128)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-02-2009, 6:39 PM Reply   
Tommy D, I can't wait to get out and ride one of them.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-02-2009, 7:35 PM Reply   
Troy,

Sounds good!
Old     (bailey)      Join Date: May 2001       02-02-2009, 7:42 PM Reply   
I will have to say that I haven't ridden in months so I am not exactly in mid summer form. I may not have been able to adjust as quickly as I would like. I don't think the board is super slow or anything but just not as quick as what I am used to. I liked the snap off the wake for flips and grabs. I got decent pop when I tried to spin but I didn't try that too much. Like I said out of practice. I would like to have a lot less fin but other than that I thought the board was very well done.
Sorry I was driving so I didn't get a picture of Cliffs face when his drysuit broke.
Old     (tommmyd)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-02-2009, 9:35 PM Reply   
Troy,

Robbie had the 230 :-) Tommy is me blue hat borrowed your cwb bindings. I can probably get ahold of the 138 if you would like to ride it again. I'll talk to Zach.

Mike... when are you getting your boat in the water? You have a lovely new dry suit!!!
Old     (fabs128)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-02-2009, 10:39 PM Reply   
It will be soon Tom D! Other than my bro, you will be the first one I call. Be ready!
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-03-2009, 7:24 AM Reply   
Hmmmm...

Wednesday???

I might have to take an off site team building meeting with the Bellevue Municipal Golf Course Manager.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       02-03-2009, 9:36 AM Reply   
Too cold to get all of the names straight. Sorry about that, but now you may have some friends calling you asking why you were holding out on them with the 230.

Hopefully Cliff and I can get together tomorrow for a that "meeting" and I'll be happy to try the 142.

It would be nice to try and coordinate another day on the water with Zach around the first of April, It sounds like we could get Jason to bring over the Decade, and I am sure we could easily get some more people, some demo boats and have a pretty fun demo day for all.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-08-2009, 10:12 AM Reply   
Update:

Troy and I rode the board again this past Wednesday. The weather was awesome and the riding was a blast.

As for my second set on the Sine...

I really got a feel for the board the second time around. Having gotten used to riding a more traditional board vs the Roam I had a much better go of it. I really like the Sine's pop, swing weight and most of all that butter soft landing. The board didn't feel nearly as grippy the second go round. You don't have to ride this board hard to get it to do what you want. By that I mean you can simply cruise toward the wake and load it just as you get to the bottom of the transition. I found the more patient I was the better the board popped. For anyone who's looking at new boards I would highly recommend you take a couple sets on one of these.
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-08-2009, 12:21 PM Reply   
Cliff, thanks again for sharing your experiences. I am still considering a Sine Launch series board as my next purchase. Which did you demo, the launch or custom series? Thanks.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-08-2009, 12:52 PM Reply   
Cosmo,

I've been riding the black series in the 142.
Old     (tommmyd)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-09-2009, 4:48 PM Reply   
Trey, technically it is a Launch series... the first set of production boards were made with the black top sheet boat show special. They were not built specifically for anyone. The difference between ordering a launch and a custom black is you would work with Sine to create the type of flex, width, length, bottom graphic, etc...