Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-03-2007, 12:54 PM Reply   
From the rider profile
}I think the wakeboarding industry should follow the pathway that surfing gave us and use it to our advantage. A good example would be snowboarding, as the industry has used style in product design to freeriding and even in competitions. If wakeboarding could get away from our predecessor, trick skiing, we could actually give free-riders what they deserve. Whether it's promoting the "style" riders or changing competition formats, I think we need to grab a hold of what makes a board sport a board sport and take our industry to the next level."

Why is this a reoccurring subject? Must there be so many people trying to change and control the sport to what they deem is right? Pathway that surfers gave us? They hated on wakeboarding back in the day, and a lot still do to this day. Trick skiing schmick skiing, I'm tired of hearing how it's controlling and influential, cause it's not anymore, it's over. Tired of people acting like punks cause thats what "role" a rider is supposed to be. Seriously, I know it's just my opinion, but are contests not the best they've been, is freeriding not beginning to be a huge influence? Seems to me it's more a route for riders to gain sponsors and attention without winning a competition, which I guess is the pathway surfing gave us, since you had to have steez to get on the tour. This story's so old, as is every newcomer trying to mold the sport to what they want.
Old    K.B.C.            01-03-2007, 1:52 PM Reply   
It won't because many disagree with your statement. Myself being one of them.

I personally think we need to embrace the snowboard, skate and surf influences not say "this is wakeboarding not (insert other boardsport here) so F$#% them"

(Message edited by sperbet on January 03, 2007)
Old     (cptoafficiency)      Join Date: May 2006       01-03-2007, 2:01 PM Reply   
Otherwise you'll have people claiming front boards and back lips without a clue as to what they mean...
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-03-2007, 2:03 PM Reply   
It will all end when idiot kids stop tuning out of high school to focus on repping the sport.

I like how the rider says we should follow the lead of the surfing industry, then to illustrate the point, says "a good example would be snowboarding . . ." I tell you, that kind of cohesive thinking makes getting through high school kinda tricky though. Focus dude, Focus

Is being cliche considered being a sell out?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-03-2007, 2:18 PM Reply   
Chase, I read that sentence to mean that snowboarding is a good example of an industry that followed "the lead of the surfing industry." I think his point is that the wakeboarding industry should do that same thing that the snowboarding industry did by following the surfing industry.
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-03-2007, 2:26 PM Reply   
I agree plus I enjoy my winters now that I picked up snowboarding.
Old     (tentcitygoon)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-03-2007, 6:58 PM Reply   
It is all about respect for the boardsports that came before wakeboarding. Wakeboarding is its own sport; however the riders, employees, and companies that make up the wakeboard industry have been influenced greatly by surfing, snowboarding, and skateboarding. Wakeboarders must respect those who paved the way boardsports; that includes riding styles, product design, and the general format of the industry.
Old     (pottsy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-03-2007, 7:10 PM Reply   
exactly, we wouldnt be what we are today without their broadening and expanding.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       01-03-2007, 11:30 PM Reply   
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but I find the "trick skiing" references to be archaic as well. And from what I've heard from those closely involved with the tour (and even commentary from riders as well), this is the most excited they've been about the comps. Obviously, they're not for everyone and freeriding and filming will fit some riders better than others. But with this head to head formatting, it's cool because you can't sandbag and when you win, it means something because you totally earned it. And didn't the tour dudes originally take that lead from surfing?

However, style is a big deal to me as well. As time goes on and the talent pool becomes deeper and deeper, style is what will separate the riders apart.

Finally, while I'm huge on history and tradition, there also comes a point where wakeboarders and wakeskaters have to start giving themselves some credit when it comes to innovation and pushing the limits of their respective artforms. It doesn't always have to come down to "it's only water" or "they have bindings." In the most recent issue of transworld, one of the former editors had the balls to say that snowboarding led the way for skaters like danny way and his massive stunts. The quote was "who's following who?" It's OK to give yourself credit every now and again...I love that that editor did that.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-04-2007, 6:15 AM Reply   
just rail into the wake fast and huck everything land a few inverts and claim ultimate wakeboard domination to those who dont know any better ...

well that my style anyway :-)

really just have fun thats what its all about..i dont know many riders who are thinking about history while on or behind the boat..
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-04-2007, 7:49 AM Reply   
IMO, some just need to accept the fact that Wakeboarding might not ever become as popular as the other board sports. It might, or it might not, either way, I'm having fun...
Old     (weekend_wakeboarder)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-06-2007, 7:21 PM Reply   
exactly!...to each his own
if the other boardsports werent around, we probably wouldnt have been here today wakeboarding how we are now, but seriously, so what if wakeboarding becomes as popular as the other boardsports...we will have fun either way, doesnt everyone have fun wakeboarding?...i think thats why ppl wakeboard, to take the stress out of their lives...just respect the other boardsports for paving the way.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-07-2007, 12:59 PM Reply   
Im with scott.
Old     (famlyboader)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-07-2007, 1:33 PM Reply   
hey guys---just ride and enjoy....be glad we are healthy enough to do the sport!!! --RIDE ON--