Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (rollna01)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-04-2008, 9:00 AM Reply   
Looking to get into my first wakeboard boat and have a couple questions.

-Looking in the <50K range

-Not sure if I want new or used(Depends on answer of the next question)

-Is it better to buy new and keep one boat for say.. 10 years or get used and upgrade every couple of years?

-85% wakeboarding/surfing
-10% skiing
-5% other

I like the '08 Moomba XLV GG cause you can get it pretty decked out for 50K and it "can" hold 16 people.

What's everyone think and thanks for the info!
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-04-2008, 9:12 AM Reply   
I own a 06 Moomba LSV and have no complaints great boat if that's what you choose. I have only seen the XLV on the showroom so I have no personal experience of riding behind one. There are plenty of people on this forum that can give you specifics. Good luck!!!!
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-04-2008, 9:13 AM Reply   
I'd go for a used XLV, save at least 10K and still hold 12 people anyways (16 is pretty cramped). Plus it's your first boat and it's going to be a learning curve with a couple bumps and bruises.
Old    freefly70            02-04-2008, 9:34 AM Reply   
You might want to look at Centurion or Tige if surfing is important to you. Not to say you cant surf any of the Moomba boats but Cen and Tige from what I hear have the best surf hulls. I am sure some surf guys will chime in.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-04-2008, 9:37 AM Reply   
like nubu said, there's a lot you mess up of your first rig. i'd save some $ if it were me.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-04-2008, 9:46 AM Reply   
....get a 2 year old used boat and then keep it for 10+ years......boats have come so far today.....most of the new innovations are seating arrangements , some electronics etc.......any boat from the last few years will make you feel like you got something new and you will pretty much be able to get any thing you want for that price.....so uprade on the boat quality and bling.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-04-2008, 8:01 PM Reply   
is it going to be ur first boat period. if so i'm not sure i would just right into a new 50k boat. you could get a really nice v drive boat thats only 3 years old or so for around 40. was the 50 grand isn't an out the door price you'll be looking at about 55 out the door. theres a lot of things that you might mess up owning your own boat for your first year. might be better to go used for your first one and if you really like it then go get a new one after 2 years.
Old     (rollna01)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-05-2008, 7:15 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the info. I always hear people say that there's a ton of stuff you can mess up on your first V-drive. What types of user errors should I be watching out for??
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-05-2008, 7:22 AM Reply   
It's not so much the fact it's a v-drive rather just the fact it's the first boat period. You're probably going to have several issues you never would have thought of, just part of owning a boat.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-05-2008, 7:29 AM Reply   
Nate, You can run aground in an inboard just as easy as an outboard, but the biggest difference is that out-drives are more forgiving. At most you may wrinkle the prop, but they can be fixed for about $120 or so. In an inboard, it's not uncommon to fold up the prop, bent the shaft and strut, and maybe bend a tracking fin or 2.

We are entering our 3rd year with our first inboard and knock on wood, not even a ding in the prop.

*NOTE TO SELF* Self, order that spare prop, you will need it now.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-05-2008, 7:49 AM Reply   
I would also lean towards a nice 2-4 yr old V-drive. You save a tone of $$ and if you end up deciding that you aren't using it enough or ever want to get rid of it you won't lose your #$% off. If you decide you use it a ton and need something bigger or want something nicer than you will still also get most of your $$ back on that used boat. The used boat has already taken the depreciation. Besides if you get a 2 yr old boat that has been taken care of it is practically new anyways. Just tough for some people (myself included) to find a boat with a ding or a scratch that they didn't put there and buy it. It's much easier to "not notice it" if I happen to put it there. Being that this is your first V-Drive you probably are going to ding it at least once.

The problem you will run into is that depending on how you are going to pay for the boat, a used boat loan will run you a little higher percentage rate. So in terms of a loan and a term it may actually come off similiar buying a newew XLV vs a 1-2yr old big 3 in the long term. Again all things have to be considered, but if it were me fore sure an older clean used boat won't steer you wrong.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-05-2008, 8:02 AM Reply   
bang for the buck - XlV is awesome, skiiers will be fine unless they're actually trying to run a course... its an awesome family boat, being so big. If you can pick up a used one I would go for it, and if you take care of it keeping it for 10 years wouldn't be out of the question.

XLV would be a great boat
Old     (canecorso)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-05-2008, 10:26 AM Reply   
Buy new and get your dealer to train you on how to drive, unload, etc. Its easy to learn, get bumpers for the sides, always have someone assist when loading, unloading and docking <-- most important

I always buy new then I always know what its been through, have a warranty, and get deals from the dealership, if you buy used get a marine surveyor to overlook the boat. One note on used boats with financing, they will not loan as much since its used and you will have to come up with more for a down payment. If you got the cash buy new, then theirs no need to upgrade in the future, if $ is a factor go used. my2Cents
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       02-05-2008, 10:50 AM Reply   
Buy a used Nautique 210TE
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-05-2008, 10:54 AM Reply   
"I always hear people say that there's a ton of stuff you can mess up on your first V-drive. What types of user errors should I be watching out for??"

Here are a couple of my screw ups on my first boat.

Error: Winch not locked when backing on ramp. Result: Boat fell off trailering when applying brakes while backing. Some people claim you do not need to keep your boat tethered when launching - Do not fall for it!

Error: Missed one drain plug during winterization. Actually had a friend help me who claimed he knew what he was doing. Result: Cracked engine block.

Error: Failed to tighten drain plug for first ride of the year. Result: Noticed water coming up through the ski locker but bilge quickly drained it.

Error: Ran aground on submerged sand bar. Result: Bent Prop.

This is some of the more significant things that happened in addition to a few bruises here and there. My first ride was $4000 I/O so I didn't loose sleep on the misadventures but that would have been a different story had I been in a new $50K boat. I can assure you your dealer will not be with you enough to prevent everything that can go wrong. Now that I have owned boats for 10 years these things don't happen anymore but it took a few hard knocks to get to that point.
Old     (05elitevc4)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-05-2008, 11:44 AM Reply   
Nate what kind of experience do you have with boat ownership already? Once you own one you get that wonderful behind the scenes knowledge of all the "fun" it really is. By fun I mean all those little questions you get to ask yourself while cleaning your boat the next day like hmmm where did that scratch come from? How did a beer can get in there? Where did all my beer coozies go? And my favorite...whos bikini bottoms are these?
If you have no experience I wouldnt suggest brand new out of the gate, unless money is not an issue. Get a used one and use the crap out of it.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-05-2008, 12:48 PM Reply   
I can't even imagine having a $50k boat for my first boat...... the loss would have been HUGE!

Who am I kidding.... I'm on my 5th boat & still don't have a $50k boat!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-05-2008, 12:51 PM Reply   
day to day stuff: like trailering/docking, getting in and out of a marina. Sounds basic, until the first time you're watching 8 things and you bump the dock.
Old     (kcampos)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-05-2008, 1:14 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-05-2008, 1:18 PM Reply   
Is that guy on the ramp puking his brains out?
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-05-2008, 1:25 PM Reply   
can someone told me how can a man be an idiot to this point to sink is boat first but second how can a man can be STUPID to sink the truck with it? i think someone need to explain me this one HAHAHAHAHA
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-05-2008, 1:29 PM Reply   
Probably an e-brake just weak enough to give after he got out of the truck. I've seen that happen twice, but both times the guy got back in fast enough to stomp the brakes.
Old     (blindmnkee3)      Join Date: Aug 2001       02-05-2008, 2:53 PM Reply   
Can someone please photoshop that aTm sticker out of the back window? It's not looking good for us Aggies. LOL. Is that Lake Bryan in College Station? All you can say is wow...
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-05-2008, 3:43 PM Reply   
i thought i read somewhere that the aTm sticker was photoshopped in.
Old     (gary_in_ia)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-05-2008, 6:45 PM Reply   
The guy is puking because he just saw someone with boardshorts over a full wetsuit.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-05-2008, 6:50 PM Reply   
Guess you prefer to see the whole package huh gary....
Old     (gary_in_ia)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-05-2008, 8:02 PM Reply   
Unlike you...I'm not inclined to look.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-05-2008, 8:11 PM Reply   
Sure Gary...
Old     (canecorso)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-06-2008, 6:55 AM Reply   
Back to the thread. Have you ever drove a boat before? In your orig question it just states it will be your first wakeboard boat. Have you owned a O/B, I/O boat before?

This reminds me back to my motorcycle days when everyone stated dont jump to a 600cc 100hp bike for your first bike, go with 250 or 400cc. Then when I moved from the 600cc 100hp to 1000cc 180hp they all stated your going to wreck, you need to move to a 750 or 900. When in all reality I could see all my friends seeing that I was going to get something better than them and they become jelious. Not saying this is happening here but if you have some or very little boating experience, it is very easy to learn (my little brother learned), assuming your not a dumbas*. Again I will always vote new, no one on this board can predict what their going to run over in unchartered waters, their in the same boat as you, assuming you understand to become familiar with the water before flying around.

Nate let us know what you decide.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-06-2008, 7:33 AM Reply   
Calabria has not been mentioned, and definately fits your parameters. Be sure to check out the Pro-V and Pro-V 2.
Old     (rollna01)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-06-2008, 9:34 AM Reply   
I have never "personally" owned a boat but I have about 15 years of solid boating under my belt with family/friends. Thanks again for all the input.
Old     (stler645)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-06-2008, 11:56 PM Reply   
I'd say definitely go used.

As a rule of thumb, new boats depreciate REALLY fast. Obviously that depends on the brand. I'm sure this is a hot topic, but I believe it is accepted MC hold their value the best, but Nauti's and Bu's are right up there. When you get into the smaller players, they are more regionally sensitive with regards to resale, and just generally don't hold their value as well.