Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       09-16-2005, 10:13 AM Reply   
I have always wanted to know this, If you are in a bag style drysuit w/o a vest on inside of it and it rips what will happen?? I always use a vest cuz I don't want to find out the hard way. Me, Evan, and Allen where talkin about this last nite and I want to see what you all think.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-16-2005, 10:18 AM Reply   
I think you will sink!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-16-2005, 10:21 AM Reply   
I think we need a volunteer, but in order to really know I think we need to wait till the water is around 40 degrees, then throw someone overboard with their dry suit unzipped. Don't worry we'll tie a rope to your ankle in case you really do sink.

Any takers????
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-16-2005, 10:25 AM Reply   
Wait don't forget to knock them out first and fill their lungs with water, then see if they float
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       09-16-2005, 10:27 AM Reply   
I think you will start to sink, but you will be able to swim a lil as soon as it is full of water.
Old     (wesgardner)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-16-2005, 10:31 AM Reply   
The rubberized vinyl is prolly pretty neutrally bouyant, so it'll have little/no effect. Actually in real life conditions it would trap air and add to your bouyancy (prolly)

Wes
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-16-2005, 10:33 AM Reply   
and then if you dont drown you will freeze to death and have a heat attack and no ones going to jump in a save you because its to fu**** cold. Right?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-16-2005, 10:36 AM Reply   
wear a vest silly
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-16-2005, 10:42 AM Reply   
what about your clothes getting wet and the weight pulling you underneath.

Did anybody fall in the water fully dressed??

What was the result??

Most likely 99.9% you will sink!
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-16-2005, 10:48 AM Reply   
Ok, yes you will sink plus it will scare the crap out of ya. I had a zipper brake and water was comming in fast. I had at least 5 to 10 gallons of water in it and it was pulling me down. Also getting on the swim step was hard also. So yes ware a vest.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-16-2005, 10:54 AM Reply   
You would only sink with clothes on if you didn't try and swim. But if you even gave it the least amount of effort to swim you would stay above water. We use to swim in sweats for the first four weeks of waterpolo practice when I was in High school so trust me 100% you can swim in full clothes. now as for the dry suit I would imagine that you could swim in a dry suit with a hole in it but not for very long. (but if my life depended on it I would finda way to make sure I was able to breath.
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-16-2005, 10:56 AM Reply   
You will sink, had a shoulder blow out years back water skiing. Lucky water ski boats power turn, took two guys to help get back in the boat, always wear a vest. I would even wonder if a vest could keep you afloat with that much water in the suit?
Old     (wesgardner)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-16-2005, 11:10 AM Reply   
The water isn't a factor until you get OUT of it - water weighs the same as the water around you....it does NOT pull you down...
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-16-2005, 11:12 AM Reply   
Allen ~ Probably the reason why you guys practiced in sweats is to build up your stamina...so when the sweats came off you were ready to go.

When I say fully dressed,I mean...t-shirt,sweater,jacket on top and sweats underneath jeans,shoes,not saying you could not swim but that I grew up on the beach and beeing a great swimmer and I'm sure salt water helped still barely made about 10-15 yards
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-16-2005, 11:14 AM Reply   
Wes ~ throw some jeans and a sweater in the water and tell me that it does not sink!
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       09-16-2005, 11:17 AM Reply   
Thats what I was thinkin. As soon as it is full the water inside and the water outside are equal you should be able to hold your self up. But til its full its all bad.
Old     (bog)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-16-2005, 11:20 AM Reply   
actually one of our friends was debating whether or not to wear a lifevest underneath. He geared up, jumped in the 40 degree water, started panicking and whimpering because he forgot to zip the drysuit. Luckily he chose to wear the lifevest so he didnt sink.
Old     (jzd)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-16-2005, 11:40 AM Reply   
BG is correct,I use a drysuit to barefoot with during the winter.Can't wear a vest over a barefoot suit.When water comes in, the suit becomes neutral to the water around it.
Old     (robie)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-16-2005, 11:40 AM Reply   
Jim,

haha, how funny was that to watch?

If my buddies did that I would be laughing to hard to help them out.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-16-2005, 12:10 PM Reply   
I wouldn't try going in a drysuit fully dressed without a lifejacket!There was even a time when I forgot to put on a lifejacket under the drysuit and decided to put it on over.

Why do you guys think that having wet clothes and a drysuit will help you float???
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-16-2005, 12:11 PM Reply   
Most riders dont like to wear coast guard appoved vest, and if you dident have on a coast guard appoved vest on you would sink, I watched a rider go down with a non coast guard appoved vest on and he did not come back up, all I have to say is that he was lucky his friends jumped in and found his a** because he would have drowned, because when they found him he was knocked out. So wear a coast guard appoved vest when you are free riding!!
Old    mendo247            09-16-2005, 12:22 PM Reply   
you will not sink.. the bag style suit will not soak water up.. your clothes getting soaked will make it harder to swim.. you ever drop a half filled fat sac in the water? it does not sink.. but it is harder than hell to get out of the water when your suit is full...some people panic and get the sensation they are sinking and it makes it harder to swim...but trust me you will not sink!
Old     (audiopro74)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-16-2005, 12:24 PM Reply   
Cant say for sure about dry suit but filled a pair of waiders while out duck hunting and had to cut them off to be able to float again. although the water is the same weight as the surrounding, but everything else is dead weight pulling you down
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-16-2005, 1:00 PM Reply   
that's exactly what I was trying to say you just put it better Rich, thanks.
Ed~ I wasn't trying to be an ass I read my post and it seems that It could have come across like that, You know we cool MAN!!!
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-16-2005, 1:05 PM Reply   
We cool my man,I'm just all about lifejackets,safety in general!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-16-2005, 1:26 PM Reply   
The scenario that would worry me most is if you fell really hard, blew out a seal and knocked yourself out. I know the chances are about 1/1000, but try telling that to Corey Krauts parents. I wouldn't be so inclined to think you'd float. I think with that much water, clothing and drysuit around you you'd have a heck of a time trying to swim and stay afloat even if you were conscious. I'd be more concerned about the lack of ability to move than the boyancy of the suit.

Also, I don't think anyone mentioned it, but it would be really important which seal failed. If you were upright and a ankle seal blew you would have the air in the suit forced up. If a shoulder seal blew the suit would take on a full load of water almost immediately.
Old    jayp            09-16-2005, 1:43 PM Reply   
I always wear a cga vest under my drysuit. I just don't play games with my safety when I don't have to. In fact I always wear a cga vest.
Old    muckno_rider            09-16-2005, 4:10 PM Reply   
When I done life guard training in school, they made us wear a full track suit while swimming lenghts of a swimming pool. We could still float, was just harder to swim. (The worst was having to go to the bottom of the pool and recover 1/2 of a 9 inch concrete building block!!).

Although, In cold water, people tend to panic, thus making it harder to float.--Wear the vest!!
Old     (wesgardner)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-16-2005, 6:12 PM Reply   
Hey All,

Didn't want anyone to get the idea I don't wear a USCG approved life jacket...ALWAYS

I've worn mine over my drysuit the last couple of times,,,seems to work

Has anyone done any diving and gotten inverted with a bunch of air in the legs? Not funny...

Wes
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-16-2005, 6:45 PM Reply   
I have a bear ultra drysuit and have never worn a vest and I float on the water just like I have a vest on. In fact I have a very small tear in the lower back, I can feel the water leaking in real slow as long as you are not sitting around in the water for to long you will be just fine......
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-18-2005, 5:35 PM Reply   
Ur not gonna sink. The water becomes nuetral. We should send this in to Mythbusters.
Old     (willatter)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-18-2005, 11:47 PM Reply   
I dont belive that you would sink, I agree with the neutral boyancy theory. I have never had this happen with a drysuit, but have gone under while wearing fishing waders and had no problems.
http://www.sexyloops.com/articles/killerwader.shtml
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-19-2005, 8:38 AM Reply   
The question is not whether you float or sink, but is your head above water so you can breathe? With a burped suit (let the air out when vertical in the water) and a USCGA approve vest on, you will probably float in the proper position. Without it, you are most likely not going to float properly. Take you chances how you want, by I will ride another day.