Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            01-23-2008, 8:39 PM Reply   
In the compsand building I've done, I've been frustrated with creating the rails over and over exactly the same. Also, in the composite construction, I have wanted to include a concave in the bottom. So I am going to build a mold of the bottom of a "magic board" so that I can reproduce the bottom contour and lower part of the rails.

It's Play Dough! :-) Modeling clay:

Upload
Old    surfdad            01-23-2008, 8:41 PM Reply   
The first step is to build a dam around the perimeter of the board at the high spot on the rails. Hopefully I can accomplish this in two days. It will need some touch up, so maybe a total of three days layout.

Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-23-2008, 9:04 PM Reply   
Is there anything you won't try?
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-23-2008, 9:15 PM Reply   
cool jeff- but you should inlay some of the santa fabric into the next design!
Old    surfdad            01-24-2008, 8:37 AM Reply   
Hey Ed,

No...I am not risk averse...I tend to be of the "bring the failures on FAST so that I can learn" genre. :-) I'm a little concerned about the part line in this mold...in looking at an Inland Surfer, I DROOL over the incredible finish those boards have out of the mold. I want a different rail though. Most of the boards that I know are molded, I THINK have a part line on the bottom of the board. Maybe I'll just end up with a decent BOTTOM :-)

Hey Matt - that table cover is funny isn't it? The kitchen table is this gorgeous butcher block wood. Judy won't let me within 10 feet of it unless it's covered up. I CA glued some balsa to that covering :-) So that is now my "work bench" cover. Judy is so good to me
Old    surfdad            01-25-2008, 7:46 PM Reply   
The resin dam applied. The board is acting as a "plug". The mold will be made over the plug. The first part of the mold will be two layers of gel coat. To keep that from sticking to the plug we cover the plug with wax. To insure that we have a good sepration I will apply 4 layers of wax, buffing after each application.

The dam applied:

Upload
Old    surfdad            01-25-2008, 7:50 PM Reply   
I use a product from Fiberglass Supply. It's a mold sealer/wax suitable for porous surfaces. This plug has never had anything applied so I want a good waxy surface.

Upload
Old    surfdad            01-25-2008, 7:52 PM Reply   
First layer:

Upload
Old    surfdad            01-25-2008, 7:54 PM Reply   
Layer two! :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            01-25-2008, 7:55 PM Reply   
You'll want to buff before the was is truly setup, still soft. Also, make sure the clay has a good covering of wax and that you are careful polishing it, so that you don't disturb the dam.
Old    surfdad            01-25-2008, 7:57 PM Reply   
The last two things that I did that I didn't civer. The fin boxes are taped over and waxed. Also, I moved the partline to the bottom of the board and will pursue a three part mold.
Old    surfdad            01-25-2008, 8:58 PM Reply   
In typical Fiberglass mold making, after the wax is applied three misting coats of PVA are sprayed over the wax. I don't have the ability to spray the PVA and brushing it on can leave an unequal mold surface. In lieu of the PVA, I have found that unscented old fashioned hairspray is similar in chemical makeup and comes with a built in sprayer :-) The only disadvantage is that PVA is green so it's easy to see when you have good coverage - not the case with hairspray.

Upload
Old    surfdad            01-25-2008, 9:00 PM Reply   
Gelcoat is polyester which requires a catalyst to kick. I mixed the gelcoat a little hot to make up for the cooler temperatures.

Upload
Old    surfdad            01-25-2008, 9:04 PM Reply   
We'll want to apply at least 2 layers of gelcoat to get a good surface. The gelcoat will be the mold surface that I'll apply epoxy and glass in. My expectation is that I'll have some slight imperfetions, and the extra thickness of gelcoat will allow me to sand and smooth those imperfections out.

Upload
Old    surfdad            01-25-2008, 9:12 PM Reply   
I used a standard gelcoat as opposed to a tooling gelcoat. Typically in a mold the gelcoat will be black so that when you apply wax or spray on a coat of paint, you can see the coverage easily against the black. Tooling gelcoat is mostly orange and is a slight different makeup to allowing the mold to be used repaetedly. I don't have that expectation of usage, so I just bought the cheapest gelcoat that I could find.
Old    surfdad            01-26-2008, 6:40 AM Reply   
The first coat of gelcoat will invariably leave some thin spots. We'll want to make sure that the second coat covers those.

It's hard to see but in this picture the dark spot is the shadow being thrown from the low spot in the gelcoat.

Upload
Old    surfdad            01-26-2008, 6:42 AM Reply   
As I mix the second batch of gelcoat I sight verify those low spots and use the mixing stick to apply a generous amount of gelcoat. Then after all of them are filled, I pour the rest of the batch in a circular pattern across the surface and spread it as evenly as possible with a bristle brush.

Second coat spread.

Upload
Old    surfdad            01-26-2008, 6:50 AM Reply   
Gelcoat doesn't surface cure so it does NOT require any sanding in between coats. One of the joys of polyester is that this coat will be cured by the time I finish breakfast :-)

The next stage of the mold making process will be to add some structural integrity. I will layup several layers of chop strand mat (CSM). It is a non-woven fiberglass that conforms to the shape easily and adds strength. I will cut that to shape, then roll on and squeege polyester laminating resin to bond the CSM to the gelcoat. I am planning on only a few layers. Then I will bond a layer of bulkier, in my case 4 mm coremat. The coremat contains microballons that will fill up a considerable amount of space, without the added weight of 10 layers of CSM and resin. I will also, vacuum this to a wood form that will hold the rocker in place as the resin cures. It will also add rigidity after the mold has cured for a few days. The wood form will become a permanent part of the mold. You can NEVER get a mold TOO stiff.
Old    surfdad            01-26-2008, 8:00 PM Reply   
As I mentioned above, CSM is non-woven. This is 1.5 oz CSM. It takes considerable amount of resin to wet it out. I used 21 oz to wet it out fully. One thing you DON'T want to do with Polyester is run out of resin, so go heavy rather than light when mixing up a batch. With epoxy, it doesn't matter...if you run short, just mix up some more...with polyester, one it starts to gel you can't easily add more.

Upload
Old    surfdad            01-26-2008, 8:03 PM Reply   
The mold is just a tool, so I don't need water white ultra filtered resin for the construction. The cheapest polyester laminating resin is more than adequate.

Upload
Old    surfdad            01-26-2008, 8:05 PM Reply   
Polyester resin is SERIOUSLY toxic. Organic respirator type masks are a MUST HAVE.

Upload
Old    surfdad            01-26-2008, 8:08 PM Reply   
Tools of the trade. Green spreader and a roller. The roller is a permanent tool, we'll clean it in acetone after use. The spreader...I typically toss them away, but they can be cleaned up and used for quite some time.

Upload
Old    surfdad            01-26-2008, 8:14 PM Reply   
Ever seen the back side of a fiberglass shower stall? :-) The CSM wetted out and laminated to the gel coat. The process is fairly easy. Pout the resin out on to the mat which is laid out on the plug. Reserve about 1/4 to followup on dr spots. Next use the spreader to move the resin around quickly and get it spread evenly. Then use the roller to work the resin into the CSM and spread it out to the edges.

The first layer wetted out.

Upload
Old    surfdad            01-27-2008, 8:28 PM Reply   
Plug out of the mold. The clay needs to be cleaned off the surface of the mold, then I'll trim and clean up the edges, finally laminate some wood structure to the bottom.

Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-27-2008, 8:34 PM Reply   
Jeff, I'm trying to picture the look on the cahier’s face when you showed up with a can of hair spray:-)

Keep the posts coming
Old    surfdad            01-28-2008, 4:38 AM Reply   
I don't understand. Why would you say that Ed? :-)

Upload
Old     (mhetheridge)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-28-2008, 6:04 AM Reply   
I think the above picture needs to be your profile picture.
Old    surfdad            01-28-2008, 7:31 AM Reply   
Such a great idea!!!!!!!! :-) Done!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-28-2008, 3:13 PM Reply   
I don't know who that masked man is supposed to be. This is the Jeff Walker that I know.

Upload
Old     (mhetheridge)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-28-2008, 3:32 PM Reply   
The next shot needs him covered in foam dust holding a planer or something. He also needs the obligatory flip flops all the while standing in his shaping room with pictures of hot girls on the walls and templates in the background.