Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old     (ridngrl21)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-05-2007, 10:29 AM Reply   
When something like this happens in any sport tragedy it hits a lot of people and a lot of sports. You begin to think why did this happen? Or how did it happen? And can it happen to me? Well you never know and I hope that there are good hearted people out there that will help you if something like this happens…this is a fund for a fellow sports athlete named Stephen Murray.

He is good friends with a fellow wake boarder that we all know (Ricky Gonzalez) Stephen showed Ricky how to do a back flip on a BMX bike. Not just once but over and over again until Ricky got it just right. Stephen was there cheering and being supportive as much as he could, Even if Ricky fell a few times. They supported him no matter what.

The dedication that they both had during that time is something that everyone should have and Stephen does with not just the BMX sport but if you’re an athlete you have that dedication with everything.

We are reaching out to you to help another athlete continue his life knowing he has help from everyone and we keep his family in our thoughts and prayers.

We are going to be at Lake Elsinore in the channel for the canyon lake competition October 13th starting at 9:30am and as well as the filming I believe of the movie “ Ride the Wake” which is featuring Ricky Gonzalez Along with other riders.

Any amount that you can donate would be appreciated even if you are only able to donate $1 if we did it all together we can accomplish a great deal. This is for real; this is an opportunity to help out one of the most loved riders in the BMX sport.

We would like all the help and support we can get to help a friend and a fellow athlete.

Just find Ricky Gonzalez at the competition or contribute through Stephen Murray’s funds which are below. Thank you so much

God bless.

This is extremely sad. Here is a press release...

http://www.bmxonline.com/bmx/news/ar...636876,00.html

"Stephen Murray is a BMX Athlete that could use help from the BMX community. Stephen is a professional dirt jumper that is well known for his amazing tricks like double back flips, 360 back flips, turndown back flips and so much more.

Stephen Murray came to the United States from New Castle Great Britain over 10 years ago with a dream of riding with the best athletes in the sport. He came over here originally as a BMX racer but quickly took to Dirt Jumping and Freestyle in the scene of Huntington Beach and Sheep Hills.

2001 and 2002 marked the biggest year for Stephen Murray of his career. He won the Gold Medal in Dirt Jumping at X Games and back to back wins at the Gravity Games, the two biggest contests at the time.

Stephen is quoted on his own riding style, “I go 110%, go big and send it!” (EXPN.com)

On Friday June 22nd at the AST Dew Tour BMX Dirt Finals in Baltimore, MD, Stephen Murray took a horrific fall on the final set of the dirt section while sending a double back flip. Stephen has received career ending injuries to his spinal cord and vertebrae.

Unlike the NFL or other major professional sports, which have unions that provide funds to athletes who are injured, BMX has nothing like this. BMX however is much more like a family than any other sport. Now is the time we need to reach out and support one of our family members like never before.

The injuries that Stephen sustained are no doubt going to affect him for a life time. Medical bills alone can reach astronomical dollar amounts. As a BMX community we have the power to help him. Stephen is a young 27 years old and is the financial provider for a wife and two young children.

This message has the potential to reach millions. Even if you are only able to donate $1 if we did it all together we can accomplish a great deal. This is for real; this is an opportunity to help out one of the most loved riders in our sport. Please find it in your hearts to contribute any dollar amount that you can, and say a prayer for Stephen Murray and his family in this difficult time.

Here are three ways you can contribute:
Email StephenMurrayFund@hotmail.com with the dollar amount you would like to contribute. You will then receive an email back with the invoice that leads you directly to a Pay Pal Secure account where you can pay by credit card or bank account number.

Mail a check payable to Stephen Murray Family Fund:
92 Corporate Park Ste. C #171
Irvine, CA 92606

Make a bank deposit or wire funds directly to:
Stephen Murray Family Fund
Bank of America
4500 Barranca Parkway
Irvine, CA 92614
Routing # 121000358
Account # 1015867459

If you are a minor get your parents permission first. Donate today, don’t hesitate. "
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-05-2007, 2:56 PM Reply   
thats always a sad thing to hear...i hate hearin ppl gettin hurt...
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-05-2007, 9:43 PM Reply   
This is indeed a tragedy. It is such a shame when an athelete has an injury that can affect the rest of his/her life. The thoughts and prayers of the Canyon Lake Wakeboard club are with Stephen and the entire Murray family. But in no way has anybody cleared a fund raiser to be held at the Canyon Lake Wakeboard Club contest/movie shoot. We are held accountable by a board and with that being said, alot of hard work and efforts are put into our events. It is not something that we take lightly when we endorse a fundraiser or a charity that we are involved with.
Ashly girl, We admire you reaching out to help a fallen athelete but we can't just back a cause that we have no knowledge of. Again, we answer to a board of directors for all stages of our contest Please feel free to contact me or have Ricky call me directly. Thanks, robyn valdez President, Canyon Lake Wakeboard Club
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       10-06-2007, 12:39 AM Reply   
thanks for putting this on here i never knew like what to say in a post to put it here but that pretty much works

STAY STRONG STEPHEN

also you can buy stay strong bracelets on www.danscomp.com ,and www.albes.com . i believe they are 6 bux if i remember and you get a livestrong style bracelet showing youve helped him out
Old     (ridngrl21)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-06-2007, 11:37 AM Reply   
hello robyn. were not doing a fundraiser ... there is one that is being held for stephen in teachapi today but the only thing we are doing is anyone in this area as in so cal that cant get ahold of anything for stephen or would like to help.. let ricky know and we will contact the right people for the funds for stephen...i understand that there is a lot of stuff to go through to hold something like a fundraiser we just want to let people know what is going on and tell people stephens info just like it is posted on here .. thats why i said just to talk to ricky at the contest or just get ahold of him..dont worry were not holding anything at the contest just telling people about the fund. word of mouth so to speak. thank you for having his back though.
Old     (ridngrl21)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-06-2007, 4:40 PM Reply   
thank you so much for the people out there that have a heart and care for their fellow athletes and friends....we are all praying for anyone that is going through such a tragedy like this one ...we have heard about colby and what is going on with him ... you are in our prayers as well...nothing like this is supposed to happen to anyone..
Old     (papa_d)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-08-2007, 1:54 PM Reply   
I ask my fellow wakeboarders and Ricky G. to forgive me. I did not read the post good enough true, and i burried my mother about 3 weeks ago,and have been put on much more meds. ( which are not helping with this big hole in my heart,also please forgive my son for whatever he said...he was just being a boy and son. i pray only good outcome for Stephen even though i still dont know what has happened to the young man ? Papa Don....agian forgive me.