Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Old     (tonysdad)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-01-2007, 6:42 PM Reply   
I just finished changing out my Launch Pads to the 750's in my 2001 VLX and holy cr@#! The wake was awesome. I wasn't sure if they were going to fit in the lockers but they did no problem. I used all the quick connects for the fill and overflow and they didn't leak a drop.

If you're going to do an upgrade, this is the one to do. I also added another bag to the bow in addition to the MLS. Of course, now I need a new prop as the stock prop takes about 10-12 seconds to get the boat on plane and we used an entire tank of gas in one day...but it was worth it.
Old     (tonysdad)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-01-2007, 6:46 PM Reply   
Here's a few pics of the wake and the bags in the lockers:

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Upload
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-01-2007, 8:11 PM Reply   
hate to say it, but my 2001's wake is bigger than that... maybe you need less weight in the front to ramp it up some
Old     (pureblue)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-01-2007, 9:24 PM Reply   
hate to say it, but that looks sweet joe, have fun and dont hurt yourself on that thing
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-01-2007, 9:55 PM Reply   
that thing looks like a fatty... i dont think the glare from the sunlight is doing it any justice. Are you running any weight up front?
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-01-2007, 9:56 PM Reply   
Joe, what line length do you ride?
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-01-2007, 10:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
hate to say it, but my 2001's wake is bigger than that
Upload
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-02-2007, 7:54 AM Reply   
Pics of wakes always look smaller than when you are on the end of the rope. I'm not saying it's not, Kevin, but eventually when joe gets it dialed in, it will smoke your 2001...
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-02-2007, 8:05 AM Reply   
I still don't get the cookie...
Old     (tonysdad)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-02-2007, 9:23 AM Reply   
Byrd, you're totally right. The wake looked great from inside the boat but it was absolutely huge at the end of the rope.

Billy, We had 3 people in the boat, the 1500 lbs in the back, the 440 lbs of MLS in the locker, 200 lbs of lead in the walkthrough and the Fly High bow sack under the seats. I think we got it to about 400 lbs before we ran out of room.

Todd, I rode at 70' and the guy in the picture (Lance) was riding at 75'. He started riding in closer but was landing like 10' out in the flats so we moved him back.

Kevin, the point of this post was not 'who's wake is bigger' but just to show how stoked I was that for a couple hundered bucks I could get my 6 year old boat to throw a huge wake that everybody enjoyed.

I'm w/ Sinko...what's the deal w/ the cookie Clint?
Old    bocephus            04-02-2007, 9:25 AM Reply   
It looks like the cookie is "Half-Baked" to me, the chips aren't melted yet...
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-02-2007, 9:59 AM Reply   
Clint was cleverly asking Kevin if he'd like a cookie for his accomplishment.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-02-2007, 10:02 AM Reply   
Let a little weight out of the back, or get bow weight closer to a 60/40 back/front distribution, and that wake would be EPIC. Just because you have 750# sacs, doesn't mean you HAVE to fill them to the brim...it's just really fun
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-02-2007, 11:22 AM Reply   
I HIGHLY doubt your getting anything close to 400lbs in that front bow sack unless you dont have seats. I am using a 450 across the bow to get weight up there since under those seats is such a small area.

I have the same hull and I have been currently running this setup:

440's in each back locker, 350ish in the center locker, 450 in the bow, and a 600 in the seating area/walkway area. This is a pretty meaty wake around 75ft at 26mph.

I just started collected lead to hopefully get rid of that huge 600lb sack in the center seating area. Of course everything is on switches, except that center sack in the walkway.

Those hulls make a great wake when loaded down.

I think Kevin must have a small guy syndrome or something.
Old     (tonysdad)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-02-2007, 11:49 AM Reply   
Yeah, I agree about the amount of weight in the bag under the seats in the bow. We filled it pretty much as far as we could (the seats wouldn'y go down anymore) but it was really hard to tell how much of the bag actually got filled up. I've got a larger bag (400 lbs) that I can put in the walk-through and that would probably do the trick, I was trying to avoid having bags laying around taking up space. We have kids and it's kind of a pain when we fill up the walk-through w/ ballast. I'm starting to think that the Fly High sack under the front seats was a waste of $...that area is way too small for a bag that large...

Hey Jeff, you're right...it is REALLY fun watching those 750's fill up and watching your swimstep sink lower in the water...
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-02-2007, 2:35 PM Reply   
Joe, something to think about before you go re-prop-ing your boat. The thing probably took forever to plain due to a bad front to back weight ratio. With those 750's in the back you would need at least 500 in the bow (or close to that).

I run my 450 across the playpen area (which allows room for 1 adult male or 2 adults (if they feel like cuddling) with that bag.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-02-2007, 4:27 PM Reply   
i wasnt totally trying to rain on your parade, its just that it doesnt add up. 1500 pounds in the back...i was expecting HUGE. as for smoking a 2001 when it gets dialed in or whatever, its two totally different style wakes, and i dont think it will get taller than a 2001 pushin 1800 pounds, but to each his own
Old     (tonysdad)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-02-2007, 6:27 PM Reply   
Hey Kevin, I defintely agree with you on the BU wake not being as tall as the 2001...Nautiques are known for having very steep wakes and the BU's are more rampy. I have never ridden a 2001 so I can't even make a comparison between the 2...like I said, I'm not trying to say one is better than the other. I'm just way stoked on what I have.
Old     (tonysdad)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-02-2007, 6:31 PM Reply   
Matt, I had it out yesterday and I had the MLS full at 440, underneath the seats in the bow say 200-250 and another bag in the walkthrough at about 300 or so. I did not fill the 750's all the way (prob around 650 ea) and it still took forever to plane.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-02-2007, 6:58 PM Reply   
totally understand man, sorry if it came across wrong. i too just got mine dialed so we are sharing the same stoke! get to ride her this saturday! play with the weight, i know you can get the wake bigger than that. if you get a chance check out the pics in this link
http://www.waterskiamerica.com/LEGENDS.php
biggest bu wake i have ever seen!
Old     (tonysdad)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-03-2007, 8:55 AM Reply   
That wake is sick!! At least I have something to shoot for. I'm taking the boat out today so I'm going to try and get it dialed in a little more today. Have fun this sat on your 2001...
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-03-2007, 10:49 AM Reply   
post some pics when you get back this weekend, we can start a thread or something, im hopin to get some really good shots. oh yeah and ive heard rumors of a double half cab roll goin down behind that boat, but they could have been messin with me. i think the guys name was scott, but those double up pics reminded me of that lil story. like the story says, a lot of talk about our lake, and a lot of its true.