Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (larry6)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-03-2004, 4:14 PM Reply   
I am currently using Premiere 6.0 and reeeeeel new to editing. I have a mpg of my daughters 1st birthday that i have been playing with. What I don’t understand is, how do you get transitions to work. I have the movie open in the monitor, timeline is open, transition options open. I tried to drag the transition that I wanted (page peel center) to the timeline but obviously it is not that simple. Can anyone help me with this stupid question. I tried the help option but it doesn’t seem to give me much info.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-04-2004, 10:10 AM Reply   
t1234

This method should give you a good visual sense of what's going on. To add more videos just keeping adding them as show above.

If you've imported one long clip you can use the Razor tool to break it up into smaller sections so you can add transitions.

raZOR
Old     (larry6)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-04-2004, 4:39 PM Reply   
Thanks for the help bud that definatly saved me some more headache's.. I did not have that button that you had on your timeline I did however have 1A and 1B so I figured that portion out. Another few questions I have if you dont mind now is how long of a duration do you make a transition? I think mine is set at 15 or something like that.

Do I spread the Movie out in between transitions a few frames or do I start them right after the cut? I guess what I am asking is when I make the cut and send it to the next line on the time table I gap it out about about 4 frames is this incorrect to do?
Thaks again for all your help.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-04-2004, 8:09 PM Reply   
I rarely use any of the fancy transitions. Most of the time my edits are either straight cuts or cross dissolves. Also keep in mind that there are 30 frames per second. So 15 frames is only 1/2 second. I would think 30 frames is about right for most transitions.

I would start right after the cut. If you post a screen shot I can probably give a better answer.
Old     (larry6)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-07-2004, 3:41 PM Reply   
Hey bud I really appreciat the help I think I am getting closer. I was able to make a vid of my daughters b-day party with some transitions and it turned out fine. I just have a few more questions.
1. When I am running my transitions on the time line I right click on it and have an option of DURATION I am asuming this is the duration of the transition is this correct?
2. When I change it (default is 00;00;15) to lets say 00;00;35 and I go back and look at it again it looks like this.

premier

Why does it jump up to 00;01;05 all the time when I do that? Should I be adjusting the timeline somewhere else for the transition?
Again thanks for all the help.
By the way what program do you use to capture screen and then edit it with those arrows?
Thanks
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-07-2004, 11:28 PM Reply   
Awesome, glad you got it working.

To answer you questions;
1) Yes
2) What effect are you using? Curtains? The video on 1A should overlap 1B as shown here

To capture the screen I do Ctrl + Print Screen and then paste it into Photoshop.
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-11-2004, 3:00 PM Reply   
i am using 6.0 as well and when the clip is in the timeline it is green, not like the ones you guys are showing, just seems weird to me
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-11-2004, 3:35 PM Reply   
JONb - Do a right-click on the clip in the timeline and you can select your "Timeline Options". You should be presented with the following 3 choices;

1) The clip name only
2) The first and last frame
3) All the frames

Old     (larry6)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-11-2004, 8:39 PM Reply   
Hey Kung Fu got some more questions for u...
I was able to capture and edit a video of my boy riding and the total length is about 5 and half min or so. What can I do to get it smaller in size? It is almost 1G in size??
I was also able to figure out how to run a rolling title tonight that was some fun to do.. man there is a lot of things you can do with this program that is for sure.
Thanks for the help in advanced.
L8tr
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-12-2004, 12:24 AM Reply   
No problem...

I put together a doc that shows you how to compress your videos for the web (wakepics.com)

http://www.dpcfilms.com/howto/

Let me know if something doesn't make sense so I can update it.

Thanks,
The Fu
Old     (larry6)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-12-2004, 7:56 PM Reply   
Ok here is a little one that I did.. still trying to learn this stuff but not too hard to do... this one I did reel fast too without too many problems. I will start adding more transitions and closing it out better next time.
Kung Fu I owe you a pull man thanks for the help again. I am sure I will have more questions as I get more involved with this thing.
Thanks again.

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=10550

Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-17-2004, 11:58 PM Reply   
Sweet! anytime! I'm glad to see that you've put it to good use. I'm sure your son will get a kick out of video in 20 years. I especially love the "hold the nose" dismount... classic! We might even be looking at the next generation's shaun murray...
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-22-2004, 5:27 PM Reply   
Larry how do you do the rolling titles?
Old     (larry6)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-23-2004, 9:05 AM Reply   
Jonb i just went to File/New/Title and it opens another window looks like this.

I then added the text that i wanted which i was told should be larger than the box if it is going to scroll. You will then have to save it and drag it from the Project window to Video 2 line to where ever you want it in the video.
Good luck..

screen shot
Old     (larry6)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-23-2004, 9:09 AM Reply   
By the way you want to use the rolling Title tool as well lower left on the screen above.
Not the normal text.
Good luck
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-24-2004, 7:37 AM Reply   
ok thanks, i already know how to put the titles to the video, i thought that you were talking about rolling as in bottom to top.