Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (schmidty147)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-31-2012, 9:13 PM Reply   
More of an FYI for the older folks in your family. I am a college student and probably speak with my grandparents once a week so they rarely know my schedule. Today, I was cooking dinner in my kitchen when my dad called me in a panic wondering where I was.

My grandparents received a call from a Chicago prison with a fake "me" on the other line. The caller was sort of crying, and eventually asked my grandparents for money to help bail me out. The caller sobbed and told them to not tell my parents that I was in trouble bc my parents would kill me. Well, my grandparents are old school and they MoneyGrammed $7,000 to some pr*k who faked as me. After a few hours of not hearing from me since sending the money, they contacted my parents who then got ahold of me.

I feel terrible for them bc they are effectively out $7000, but its also hard for me to comprehend how they didn't ask questions. I researched it and this is actually a common occurrence and the callers seem very legitimate....so inform your folks