Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 24, 2008

Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-06-2008, 10:42 AM Reply   
This is the year that I'm buying a new boat. I bought my 96 Malibu Sunsetter 3 years ago, and now I def has the cash to upgrade to a newer, if not new, Vdrive. I usually only have 4 people in the boat, including myself, so I really want to stick to the 20ft class.

I am pretty partial to Malibu's VTX (as stated in the other posts) but I'd love to have a non-biased/non-bashing discusion about the best boat in the 20ft class.

I've demo'd the VTX and pretty much love it. MLS, power wedge, Illusion tower and overall looks just do it for me.

A new centurion dealership just went up and the FalconV got my attn, plus its about 10k cheaper with both boats being loaded.

I haven't heard to many good things about the mastercraft. Inefficient hull design leading to poor GPH, takes a ton of ballast and lack of stabilizers making for a bad ride. Not to mention its one of the more expensive boats.

These are things I've heard, not bashing. If you have any experience with these or if I forgot any boats, please step in!
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-06-2008, 10:59 AM Reply   
Im a centurion dealer but the Falcon is a heck of a boat for the money.
Old     (suckbuthavefun)      Join Date: May 2003       03-06-2008, 11:25 AM Reply   
I live on a lake with a 20'9" length limit.

I personally have the Mastercraft X1. This uses the 205V hull which has been around for a LONG time with great results. This is the same hull that was on the original Xstar. It is now their "price point" boat. I believe the nationally advertised price on this is about $42. It comes with the tower and rear ballast and a trailer.

I think your comment on the mastercraft is directed toward the X2, but may be mistaken.

I looked at the VTX (Sunscape 20 LSV...our lake doesn't allow the wake hull, only the diamond) when I bought my boat, but it was quite a bit more expensive than my X1.

Anyway, that is my $.02...I hope i was non-biased and non bashing.

Tim

(Message edited by suckbuthavefun on March 06, 2008)
Old    falcon_v            03-06-2008, 11:32 AM Reply   
Falcon V 20'9" Centurion
Old     (epic_peachland)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-06-2008, 11:38 AM Reply   
I would say the Falcon seems to be unreal value and have been nothing but impressed with my Centuruion...however if space is not an issue you have to seriously look at the X1...it is quite cramped but the hull is a proven winner...by FAR the best 20 foot hull.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-06-2008, 11:39 AM Reply   
"but I'd love to have a non-biased/non-bashing discusion about the best boat in the 20ft class."

Never gonna happen.

The Centurion will have a nice ride but will have more engine vibration and will be louder.

My suggestion is to do what you have been doing. Demo the boats. If you love the VTX, go with it. You won't be disappointed.
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-06-2008, 12:05 PM Reply   
Wakecraft ZR6. My understanding a few may be heading out to TX soon. At 20.5 long with everything standard you cant go wrong.
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-06-2008, 12:19 PM Reply   
20ft is pretty limited for a wakeboat man. my lake has a 21ft limit and i found when i was looking i had little options.

I would say check out the Falcon V, and see what it's like. I would bet the X-1 will be nicer though. If it was 100lbs lighter i probably would have bought it.

The Malibu vRide is nice, and cheap, thats what i got....but is 21.0ft not meeting your 20ft limit.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-06-2008, 2:16 PM Reply   
The moomba outback V is a 20' 8" boat that is pretty decent for the money. If I was looking for new, that would be my first test drive. Other new boats are just too expensive for a 6 month a year season that I have in MN.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-06-2008, 2:46 PM Reply   
Supra 20SSV. This stock wake is beefy, even with it being a 20 ft boat.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-06-2008, 2:50 PM Reply   
Supra 20SSV @ 20'8" 95" beam has a great wake! Smart plate w/perfectpass + 1200 ballast, Swing Board Racks, CD/MP3 w/ kicker amp, 5 yr warranty are standard.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-06-2008, 3:13 PM Reply   
Sanger V-210 ~ 20'8"
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-06-2008, 3:57 PM Reply   
i don't understand your statement on inefficient hull design on the x2 in re: to gph. i had a 05 supra ssv 22 with 325hp and i would say they are about equal with my 07 x2 with the mcx 350hp. and trust me it handles chop much better than the old model supra.

yes the boat does require more weight to get a sweet wake.

okay nubu, time to blast me know.
Old     (dtr)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-06-2008, 4:10 PM Reply   
I would go with the VTX all the way if you have the money that is a great boat and of the two the Malibu will have a better re-sale. I do like the falcon boat but I don't think it can go head to head with the VTX
Old     (dc15boatman)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-06-2008, 4:21 PM Reply   
Calabria Pro V2. Tons of room for a 20 footer
Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-06-2008, 5:37 PM Reply   
Insuranceman - just what I've heard that its GPH sucks... I've sifted through tons of BS to find out the most often complaint, and as a member of www.themalibucrew.com , I have tons of info on the VTX.

I didn't think about the supra! Not sure if there's a supra dealer near though... I'll start lookin.

Sanger's props spin like a CC right? If so thats out, don't want to have to learn to surf goofy! haha

I've never heard of Wakecraft...

I've thought about Moomba, no dealer near though... Plus I really don't want to have to "defend" my boat on any forum... It sucks that they have the rep for being a "cheap" boat, because I do like the way some look. Of course I don't know anything about the wake (too much bashing)
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-06-2008, 5:50 PM Reply   
No, Sanger has left hand prop...

www.sangerboats.com
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-06-2008, 6:04 PM Reply   
wakecraft look pretty nice... they're up and coming but worth taking a look at

or X-2...for only 20 ft they feel huge inside
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-06-2008, 6:15 PM Reply   
What up, Nick? I would vote for the x-1 or older x-2 as well. IMO, one of the best wake boats ever made...
Old    freefly70            03-06-2008, 6:21 PM Reply   
Tige Z1 or 20V are worth taking a ride in. Get in every boat you can get in that you have a dealer for. They all have pluses and minuses. Good luck buying a boat to me is a nightmare unless your a specific brand loyal person.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-06-2008, 6:22 PM Reply   
another vote for the VTX (from a Nautique guy), The X1 is also a favorite too, probably more availability in the form of an original XStar
Old     (canecorso)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-06-2008, 6:31 PM Reply   
Save the X2 test drive for last else your gonna ruin everything else. Its just like going to test drive a caddy then a pontiac grand am, while only being able to afford a cavalier, or chevy malibu

Your commit of not hearing too many good things about MC is comical, if your on this website you'll find more malibu people as such keep that in mind. Go to Tmcowners.com you wont find bad there...

WE made the decision of driving the x2 first as such everything else was lower grade IOO, and we were not biased what so ever we just like bling, and overall value. Adding sacs will be necessary for a seasoned boarder that wants a killer wake isnt too much extra as you can get cheap deals from the dealer. Last note the x2 feels bigger than any other 20ft boat we have ever been in...Good luck
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-06-2008, 7:01 PM Reply   
The MC comments sound like propaganda being repeated without any real knowledge. Your comments on gas usage and inefficient hull are rediculious and unfounded.

As far as the ride, the x2 has a deeper V. I don't have much knowledge on other boats, but my x2 tracks better than my old x1 and I don't pull it around as much probably due to being a wider boat.

I don't really care which boat you buy, I just think it is comical when people kick one brand or the other.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-06-2008, 7:30 PM Reply   
i would drive them all. the tiges are going to be great boats both the 20v and RZ1 much more boat for the money than an X1. yes i am a tige owner so they are my boat of choice. thats why i say drive them ALL if you drive a tige and dont like it atleast you gave it a chance. demos are free and i think it would be foolish not to drive them all. i think you will love the way it drives and handles. ruff water ride and fuel economy are the best in the industry. boattest.com will give you the info on fuel economy if you would like to see it. again good luck in your search drive them ALL and post up pics on what you go with.
Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-06-2008, 7:50 PM Reply   
Kevin and RG, I'm totally no bashing on MC. My friend has an 01 Xstar and I agree the wake is SICK! Of course he's running 2300lbs ballast, damn thing is about sunk when we ride.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-06-2008, 7:52 PM Reply   
find boats in the price you want and style you like, then drive them and buy the one you like the best. There are a lot of opinions here and nothing will change that. Ya gotta test for yourself what you like. The guy above me favors tiges and I havent been behind one I like yet. Too steep a wake for me with the taps set, but I know that because I rode it. He might not like my sport nautique because it is to progressive for his tastes. Again, a matter of preference, so it is really on you to find a wake you really like. I guess a less biased question would be "what v drive do you have and how do you like it after so many years and is there anything you would have done differently with this purchace" Probably less prone to brand bashing.
Old     (aces6692)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-06-2008, 7:55 PM Reply   
x-2 definantly, super roomy and comfy for only a 20 foot boat, has a great wake with a little weight
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-06-2008, 8:25 PM Reply   
Another vote for the Supra 20SSV
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-06-2008, 8:43 PM Reply   
I am an MC owner........and an MC lover.......out of all the V-Drive wakeboats in their current line (I have been behind all except the X-35) The wake behind the X-2 is the worst to get dialed and has the worst shape in my opinion in the MC line. A great boat for a bigger crew in a small boat, but the wake does suffer. Think they tried to hard to push it out the door before they had it dialed. Marketing is the key to anything though.....Just Slap the MC name on it and it will sell and people will buy it and defend it all day long. HEY no problem it works for you, but I think out of the MC line it is quite possibly the worst wake going. The X-1 blows it away, but it has next to zero room compared to the X-2 so its a hard sell to someone eyeing an X-2 on the showroom right next to it. I think if people went purely based on wake the X-1 would outsell the X-2 10fold. But the X2 has one huge factor on why it is a top seller....SPACE. There is a reason my 2000 is stil 30kwhich isn't much less then what they went for back then.

The 20ft boats are kind of limited. Having not had the chance to ride behind a new Falcon V I can't give an honest review of the wake, bt after being in one at the last show I was blown away. From the reviews it looks like they finally have it dialed with aboat that doesn't have the "finiky" wake. That would be the top "new"

I would also check out a Tige 20V Tons of room and despite the Tige bashing from the old school boats that were piss poor their newer models and convex V hull produces great wakes. Just don't agreee with their marketing of no ballast as it's all BS.

Though it is comical that a ton of people bashed Tige for wood when everyone here throws Sanger every chance they get, but they are still wood. HMMMMMMM! WAs a Sanger dealer here for a bit. Rode a V210 and the wake was sick. But the low freeboard/gunwales really killed their boat for me as did their sundeck layout. Why the hump? Maybe a little redesign to get with it on just the top deck. Though I will say the hydro hinges on everything is very nice feature. Love the ride and loved the boat, but their top deck layout killed it for me. JUst my .02

The Supra 20SSV is also a great choice. You say 20ft'r, but if you could go 21ft'r I think the Supra 21V is a hard boat to beat. Damn near perfectly priced in todays market for a ton of boat and a pro-caliber wake

I also theink for a 20ft'r the VTX is hrd to beat in performance. Though the price tag on that boat throws me. Think if it were priced 5-8k lower it b e be a more competeive sell and they would kill the market. Seemed like their bow was where they cut from though. WAs tight as heck up there, but the cockpit was still huge.

So out of the boats I reviewed what would work for me if I could go new? A Supra 21V would be tops and if it had to be below the 21ft range VTX or X1....Would have to ride a few days behind the VTX before I made the final decision, but after just being in one at the show it is way more roomy than the X1, and I liked the overall feel of it a little better, but I only rode behind one once and it was a windy day, but still booted me....I did like it more than the older VLX wake though. Just had a bit more of an aggressive lip to it.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-06-2008, 9:09 PM Reply   
i dig on the mc x2... great boat !!! If your on a budget, then the x1.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-06-2008, 9:42 PM Reply   
Great post Swatguy, but just FYI the "hump" on the V-210 sunpad does not exist on the Black Scorpion equipped boats.
...and BTW, some of us LOVE low freeboard... and wood
Old     (cal565)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-07-2008, 6:31 AM Reply   
I also say the Sanger V-210. Handles the chop very well and is solid. The wood stringers come with a lifetime warranty and I'm with Chris some of us really like the low freeboard.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       03-07-2008, 6:46 AM Reply   
I would throw the Calabria pro V2 in the hat as well. Wide beam, pure vert ballast, and quality fit and finish.
Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-07-2008, 7:00 AM Reply   
Great post Swatguy, Very good non-biased opinions there! That is really what I'm looking for!

I'll look into both Supra's... I don't live on a lake or go anywhere with restrictions, just don't need anything bigger really. Plus I noticed that most 20's are quite a bit cheaper than the 21's.

So right now I'm most excited about:
FalconV (for price, and a "so far so good" review by riders and magazines.)

Both Supras (still need to do my research as I've never lived close to a supra dealer and there doesn't seem to be a lot of them around SouthEast Tx.)

VTX, I'm just partial because my first comp boat is a Malibu and owning it has been an over excellent experience.

MC, X1 still throwing around the ideas and previous runs on my friends older Xstar.. Love the 88" beam, as I'm a horrible boarder and that translates to easy W2W's! Plus it throw's and insane wall for a surfing, above my waist and almost straight up/down!
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-07-2008, 8:16 AM Reply   
the falcon is a sweet boat.......as compared to a 21 v........think about the playpen weather you would want ...or not......invariably you are going to want a big bag up there (that storage space or whatever in the walkway looks like it could cause some issues)....its so nice when its hidden and then still have storage under the front seats........the supra has more bling.....and you can get one used for under 40000 (2006) with a 340 indmar and cnc prop.....this boat can do it all and comfortably....and I am not biased

(Message edited by absoluteboarder on March 07, 2008)
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-07-2008, 8:25 AM Reply   
hmm...bump
Old     (cpizzle)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-07-2008, 8:40 AM Reply   
Just checked out the Falson V for the first time on the Centurion website. It is a nice boat. Like the tower.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-07-2008, 9:09 AM Reply   
No problem.....

Hmmmm why would you want the low freeboard....Just curious Me having 2 little girls we would be looking for "deep" boats for security reasons so never though of it the other way as people wanting low freeboard.

No doubt the Sangers ride awesome and are rock solid. I was just pointing out a fact that people here trounced on Tige for using wood.......Also what do you think is in all those old Nauty's and MC's that are still rolling 20yrs later like the day thye were first bought. That was it....Wasn't syaing it's bad just calling BS on the wood comments.
Though I do agree the pre convex V hull boats are at the bottom end for a wake rating and I would put one of the bottom end boats to buy....the Convex V hull boats are like a totally different boat in build and attention to detail so I think all the negative comments about them are usually from people who haven't been in one of their new boats.

I thought even with the Scorpion it still was not flat across. Yes the hump was somewhat removed but the sundpad still had angle towards the end where it met the deck making it not being 100% flat. Sorry if that was not the case.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-07-2008, 9:26 AM Reply   
I was just looking at the virtual test drives wbm.........surprised to see falcon v gunnel height same as 21v at 2feet7".........however the vibration factor is double that of the 21v over a double up its at 2.06 vs supra at 1.15. Space is excellent on the falcon.

(Message edited by absoluteboarder on March 07, 2008)
Old     (yager97)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-07-2008, 9:28 AM Reply   
"I've thought about Moomba, no dealer near though... Plus I really don't want to have to "defend" my boat on any forum... It sucks that they have the rep for being a "cheap" boat, because I do like the way some look. Of course I don't know anything about the wake (too much bashing)"

why are you worried about what other people on message boards will say about your boat? what is their to defend? the boat doesnt define you, your skills behind the boat do. I have way more respect for riders that can tear it up behind crappy i/o that barely runs than a rich kid thats parents shelled out for an xstar for them so they can make up for their lack of talent by looking cool.
stay off the message boards or don't announce you bought a moomba. problem solved.
Old    falcon_v            03-07-2008, 9:38 AM Reply   
Falcon V. Go test drive and play around in one.
Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-07-2008, 1:44 PM Reply   
Andrew I see your point, but I really enjoy talking about my boat. And it just seems that there are so many A-hole's that by the time it got to the 4th reply Id be so pissed off that the post would loose all meaning.

That is one thing that I love about my 96, you probably couldn't find a cleaner one around.

Just the way I am and boats are kinda like your kids (I don't have any), if someone bashes little Timmy for being kinda puny your going to be pissed. Plus I like a lil bling!
Old     (lknboarder)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-07-2008, 7:12 PM Reply   
the VTX is a really nice and roomy boat you can't go wrong with that one
Old     (kcampos)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-07-2008, 7:27 PM Reply   
for the money hands down the Sanger V210. Yes there is a slight hump in the back for 10 to 20 thousand less the hump doesn't bother us that much.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-07-2008, 7:52 PM Reply   
vtx there is no comparison for all around 20.