Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (tsimmns)      Join Date: May 2013       05-21-2013, 5:33 PM Reply   
So the title says it all. I'm 30 and wanting to get into a boat. I don't necessarily need one now, but would like one by next summer. I live in NE Mississippi. I know literally nothing really about them. I will generally use it to ski, and carry people for fun. I don't even know if a ski boat is what a wake boat is. Any advice, things to start doing, saving, where to look, what to look for? Right now I have probably around 3k I could put down, but like I said I can always wait until next year and look for one this winter at a lower price. Thanks for any advice.
Old     (CTXxRoss)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-21-2013, 5:48 PM Reply   
Welcome!! If you are looking into getting into wakeboarding I'd say go ahead and get a wakeboarding boat. What's your budget you're shooting for? If wakeboarding isn't something you are into or want to get into you could save a bit of money and buy more of a recreational type boat like a Glastron or Tahoe I guess. But you'll be mch happier with something like a Mastercraft, Supra/Moomba, Malibu etc etc....
Old     (tsimmns)      Join Date: May 2013       05-21-2013, 6:02 PM Reply   
I have never wakeboared just found this page. I will mainly use the boat to knee board, ski, and recreational. Do all these translate to a wakeboard boat or would I need something less expensive and less fancy?
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       05-21-2013, 6:07 PM Reply   
Once you wakeboard that's what you will probably start doing and never look back! Lol
Old     (runin90lx)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-21-2013, 6:08 PM Reply   
if you only plan to use the boat to knee board, ski, and tube...a I/O boat would work fine and be ALOT cheaper. and by all means, please dont go into the coves where smooth water is at to tube and knee board. save that for the wakeboarders who need smooth water
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-21-2013, 6:08 PM Reply   
if anything get a ski boat, but not a wake boat. I would think recreational would be fine for you, but if you're a serious skier get a real direct drive ski boat. If you aren't interested in wakeboarding you don't need a wake boat
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-21-2013, 6:09 PM Reply   
I vote I/O you'll save a lot of money
Old     (CTXxRoss)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-21-2013, 6:16 PM Reply   
Well... You can do all that with any ski boat. When I say ski boat I'm talking about what you usually see. Glastron, Tahoe, Four-Wins... Those are just a few of your basic ski boats. They can be cheaper to buy and really just as much fun if you're not serious about wakeboarding. I had a Glastron for about 4 years an it was a good boat. I bought a wakeboard boat about 1 month ago and I would never buy another ski boat. They are just much nicer to be in and on in general. I think the wake boats have much more to offer ppl when it comes to having a good time on the water, if your boarding, crusing, or just floating and swimming. The companies put more into these boats than the other manufactures do I think. I would suggest looking around boat trader and Craigslist for some used boats. Your top 3, or the big 3, wake boats are Master Craft, Ski Natiuque, and Malibu.. But others are Moomba, Supra, Centurion, Sanger... Just to name a few. I would try and stay with a used boat with under 600 hours.. Some will say that's not really a lot of hours, but that's just my opinion. I just purchased a 2000 Moomba Kamberra for $19,000 that had 200 hours on it. That is a decent price, so that will give you a starting point price wise I suppose. How many ppl do you usually roll with? If you have a family you may want to look at something in the 22' range as that will give you a ton of space for ppl and gear. Storage is another thing that is great about the wake boats, I can fit so much gear into my boat along with 7-8 ppl comfortably.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-21-2013, 6:19 PM Reply   
Since you are coming here for advice and/or suggestions you should probably answer a few questions.

Do you have any size restrictions whether it be lake restrictions, tow vehicle max tow ratings or your garage limiting the size of the boat?

You say you plan on skiing and cruising. Do you plan on surfing or wakeboarding?

Are you going to be boating somewhere that gets really rough and a good rough water ride is important?

If you are thinking new what dealers are near you?

What is your price range?

Are you thinking about buying new or used?

If you can answer most or all of those questions we may be able to help you out a little more. Since it sounds like you are new to boating I would suggest taking a power squadron or similar coast guard class or at the very minimum research the rules or your potential waterways and also try and do some research on boating etiquette which often seems to get overlooked. If you can try and get out on some other people's boats to learn about different types of boats as well as general boating knowledge. Maybe some people on here will offer to take you out at some point. Just remember to follow their rules and bring gas money.

Since you are brand new to boating I would suggest buying something used. Since you will be new to boating there is no doubt you will do some boneheaded things and there is no sense in beating up a brand new boat. Also, if you buy new and realize you don't really like the boat you bought or boating all together you can get out of it without costing yourself too much money. Buying a new boat usually means you take pretty good depreciation hit. You also may want to buy a boat through a dealership even if used. They might be more willing to spend some time with you, teach you about boating, teach you about the boat you are buying as well as be someone to lean on once you own the boat. I would think they would be even more willing to spend extra time with you in the winter when they have more time. I have actually wondered why dealers don't have workshops and classes about boating during the winter when it is slow.

Seeing as you are in the SE you are mostly likely going to find Mastercraft, malibu, axis, nautique, supra and moomba wake/ski boats but may come across a Tige or Centurion here and there. I doubt you will see many west coast boats like Sanger, MB, Supreme, etc...

Like others have mentioned maybe an I/O runabout is fine for your needs but personally I would never buy one over a similar inboard ski/wake boat. The advantages of an I/O are a higher top speed(probably 10 mph for the typical boats), a better rough water ride(a lot of the newer wakeboard boats are closing the gap. These aren't like an 85 mastercraft that is basically a pure flat bottom boat), they can back both directions(once you learn how to handle an inboard I actually think they are easier and more predictible to drive) and most ususally have higher free board(again the newer wakeboard boats are closing the gap here). Wakeboard boats are a bigger boat for the same length. What I mean is that for the last 10 years or so I/O boats have measured their length including the molded in platform. A typically 22' I/O is really only a 20' boat when you consider wetted surface and interior space. I also much prefer the low swim platform on the ski/wakeboard boats. I also think that ski/wakeboard boats are safer with the prop way under the hull. There is no comparison in tracking, wake performance and hole shot between the 2 types of boats. The biggest advantage of an I/O might be that there is a crap ton more of them out there and can be found cheaper. If you don't think all the extras like cruise control, ballast or a tower will matter to you it might not be worth it for you to pay more for a ski/wakeboard boat.

Last edited by polarbill; 05-21-2013 at 6:28 PM.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-21-2013, 6:31 PM Reply   
A Yamaha jet drive boat may be the perfect compromise.
Old     (tsimmns)      Join Date: May 2013       05-21-2013, 6:34 PM Reply   
Wow, thanks for all the replies so quickly. I actually know a guy who has a boat shop down the road from me. He has always had Mastercraft I think is his main carrier, but I always just thought those were junk boats as you mainly always see Tahoo or Moomba when see people at the lake. Where I live the favorite place to go is Pickwick if any of you are familiar with it in Corinth, MS. Now on to the answering of the questions.

Do you have any size restrictions whether it be lake restrictions, tow vehicle max tow ratings or your garage limiting the size of the boat? As for size restrictions at the places I will be going, I doubt there are any. As for size restrictions for towing, I run a car lot and can usually find a good cheap vehicle to tow anything with. As for storing it, I would assume it would mainly be stored at my house in the driveway. My neighbor has a pontoon boat that he stores outside in his, so I doubt it's an issue with the city.

You say you plan on skiing and cruising. Do you plan on surfing or wakeboarding? I have only ever skied and kneeboared. I guess mainly it's going to be used as something to get with friends and just go out on the lake for pleasure on holidays and during the weekends. I never knee you could surf with a boat and I've never attempted wakeboarding, seems like something you would do in the x-games.

Are you going to be boating somewhere that gets really rough and a good rough water ride is important? As for the places it would be, like I said the weather here is pretty calm as for wind and stuff. My Aunt also lives in Arkansas on Lake Ouchatia so it will probably go there some as well. Again, no bad weather I guess at these places like there might be in Wisconsin or Michigan.

If you are thinking new what dealers are near you? Would more than likely buy used just to get a feel even if I like this thing and like you say not crack and bust up a brand new boat.

What is your price range? Price range would be something under 30k maybe 25k. As mentioned I have close to 3 or 4 saved up just to put down which I think is a good start.

Are you thinking about buying new or used? Used of course since I'm a beginner.

Again, thanks so much for all the information.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-21-2013, 6:47 PM Reply   
Take a boating class, and get your license if its required, most of boating and watersports towing is just plain common sense. You will know if your cut out for it real soon. Don’t get discouraged, everyone has to learn not to be a Barney Boater. Ask for help at the ramp if you have trouble, or practice backing up the trailer in a empty parking lot. Good luck! and have fun. 25k-30k you prob can get a pretty nice direct drive or v-drive. (pre owned) Thats the way I would steer. If you end up liking wakeboarding and surfing, you won’t have to buy another type boat.
Old     (CTXxRoss)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-21-2013, 7:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyv420 View Post
Take a boating class, and get your license if its required, most of boating and watersports towing is just plain common sense. You will know if your cut out for it real soon. Don’t get discouraged, everyone has to learn not to be a Barney Boater. Ask for help at the ramp if you have trouble, or practice backing up the trailer in a empty parking lot. Good luck! and have fun. 25k-30k you prob can get a pretty nice direct drive or v-drive. (pre owned) Thats the way I would steer. If you end up liking wakeboarding and surfing, you won’t have to buy another type boat.
Very true!!
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-21-2013, 8:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsimmns View Post
Wow, thanks for all the replies so quickly. I actually know a guy who has a boat shop down the road from me. He has always had Mastercraft I think is his main carrier, but I always just thought those were junk boats as you mainly always see Tahoo or Moomba when see people at the lake.
Tahoe is just another dime a dozen I/O. Moomba is an entry level inboard brand. Mastercraft is one of the big 3 inboard makers and makes a quality boat. Go step in a those other two brands than in a Mastercraft...you will need to know nothing about boating to tell who makes the nicer boat.

You aren't going to see a lot of love for I/O's here - and I won't give any love to them. My first boat was an I/O and I'll likely never own another one. I had inboard envy for so long before getting one for myself.

Google direct drive, V-drive, I/O and Outboard to learn the differences. Way too long of a topic to explain. If you want a good ski wake you need an inboard. If you want to surf, you can ONLY safely do it behind an inboard (or a jet boat...but good luck getting a surf wake you can ride out of a jet boat).
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       05-21-2013, 8:37 PM Reply   
Please don't ever refer to an I/O as a "ski boat".
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-21-2013, 8:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstateskier View Post
Please don't ever refer to an I/O as a "ski boat".
Thank you!!! It's a runabout Ross A ski boat is an inboard 'tournament style' ski boat... not all inboards are tournament ski boats. Just like not all v-drives are hardcore/tournament quality wakeboard boats...
Old     (9645glazier)      Join Date: Feb 2012       05-21-2013, 11:07 PM Reply   
You lost me when you called Mastercraft a junk boat. Simple google research would have let you know that Mastercraft is one of the big three wakeboat manufacturers.

Good luck buying, and as stated above, take a boating course, and stay out of the butter when the wakeboarders are out at dusk and dawn.