Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (cdhayes2)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-13-2010, 5:57 PM Reply   
Any opinions on this lens? Tamron AF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 LD
I just picked up my first DSLR, Canon T1i, I've only ever had P&S's at my disposal. So, the DSLR world is totally new to me. The T1i came with the stock 18-55. Want to shoot a lot of landscapes, wakeboarding, sports, that sorta stuff. Thanks guys!
Old     (cdhayes2)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-13-2010, 5:58 PM Reply   
Oh, and if not that one, what would you recommend?
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-13-2010, 10:41 PM Reply   
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...&cat=43&page=2
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-14-2010, 7:02 AM Reply   
A hundred dollar lens on a 10+ megapixel body????? Ouch!

One usually gets value from Tamron comparable to any give price point but for sports auto focus speed is critical and that's where a low cost lens really falls flat on it's face. IQ may be fine if you're not doing anything over web size but a 12mp sensor needs top quality lenses.

Save your money for a 70-200 L series. I know many don't have money to burn on this stuff but without reasonably good lenses why shoot with a DSLR at all?

A used original 6 megapixel Rebel with a 70-200 f4 L would out shoot your T1i with Tamron all day long and twice on sundays!

I tried many of the non Canon superzooms when I first got a 10D (6 megapixel) most in the $300-400 range and those all sucked as well. The newer, higher rez sensors are even more demanding.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-14-2010, 7:16 AM Reply   
I just picked up a Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS for my T1i. It's a little more that what you're looking at with the Tamron, but the reviews on it are great. I found mine on Walmart.com for $229. Someday I'll set my sites on the 70-200 L, but for now I think the 55-250 will suit my needs until I gain a little more experience.
Old     (cdhayes2)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-14-2010, 9:42 AM Reply   
Rich- Yeah, I did some more research and sort of realized that was a bad idea. This is my first DSLR (it's actually in the mail) and all I've ever had at my disposal are P&S's. So, I don't really know what I'm looking for. Also, I'm a college student.. So, I'm trying to keep the cost relatively low.

Richard- Have you gotten a chance to use the lens yet? How do you like it? What sort of stuff are you shooting?

Thanks!
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-14-2010, 10:12 AM Reply   
It just came in the other day, so I haven't got to use it a whole lot; I've only taken 3-4 photos with it indoors. So far I am pleased as it has allowed me to get some candid shots of my kids from a distance without them knowing I'm taking a picture. This weekend I'm going to take it out on on the boat and see how it does shooting wakeboarding. It's supposed to be sunny this weekend, so hopefully I'll have some good light to work with.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-14-2010, 12:14 PM Reply   
Nauty, have fun with your new toy. Try and get out early this weekend and keep the sun to your back for best results. Post up some shots of your weekend.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-15-2010, 8:37 AM Reply   
I would say that Canon 55-250 is the bare minimum, I know Randy posted up some good shots from the one he had.
Old     (cdhayes2)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-15-2010, 6:11 PM Reply   
Ok! Well, I'm probably going to have to take the bare minimum at this point in time.. Believe me, I wish I could pour my money into it, but it's not logical at this point. Unfotunately.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-20-2010, 3:01 PM Reply   
Had a chance to snap a pic or two with my 55-250 mm. Still not the best quality photos as I am still shooting in full auto, but I like the potential. Here's a shot from this past weekend. I was probably too far away as I was just about all the way at 250mm with the lens.....
Attached Images