Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Old     (tmorefi)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-16-2003, 8:19 AM Reply   
Picking up my new SAN on Friday and want to see where people have there subs and amps mounted... I have 2 amps to mount and 1 12". I assume I'll be building a box but not sure where when. Thanks...
Old     (johns)      Join Date: Sep 2000       07-16-2003, 9:12 AM Reply   
Here is what I've got:

Stock Clarion Deck
switched to MB Quarts through out boat
Boss B-530 w/MB Quarts on tower
PPI 4X125 running all the speakers
JL 500W Sub Amp
JL-W7 10" Mounted in Box under dash(looks stock as you cannot tell its there
Bass Gain and Fader knobs mount on dash.

I don't have any good pictures of the sub but here are the passenger compartments and tower

Old     (tmorefi)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-16-2003, 10:09 AM Reply   
John,

Looks very nice. Do you have a pic of the sub box and how did you mount the amps? How are they connected to the walls? Thanks..
Old     (johns)      Join Date: Sep 2000       07-16-2003, 10:26 AM Reply   
Sorry Bro, I don't have any pictures of that, I will try and remember to take one and post it for you but there is not a whole lot to see. From an observers point of view the boat(under the dash looks totally stock.

I will try and describe it the best I can. The Installer removed the kick panel, wrapped up all the dangling wire underneath and then mounted the heater in a new location. They then built a box to fit the area. I only saw part of this process so it is hard to tell you everything. If you are looking at the foot panel I still have my heater vents on the lower left hand side, The Sub box was bolted to the floor using L-bracket and the kick panel was mounted up against the sub box. The sub faces the starboard side of the boat & I actually lost about 2-3 inches on the right hand side of the kick panel to accomedate the sub box. The kick panel is then mounted to the floor using the stock backets. Hope this helps a bit.

You might also want to check out Grant's web page. He has an awsome system and as a matter of fact he is trying to sell his tower speakers. check the classified's and his web page

http://svtsupercharged.com/gallery/stereo

good luck
Old     (tmorefi)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-16-2003, 10:38 AM Reply   
Thanks John. I can get the "picture". I've seen Grants page but that's just too crazy for me. One more thing if you don't mind. How did you mount the amps up against the fiberglass? Thanks again.

Tony-
Old     (johns)      Join Date: Sep 2000       07-16-2003, 10:47 AM Reply   
Grant is talented for sure!! I really envy his craftsmanship and attention to detail. I paid big bucks to have mine done by a stereo shop that my dealer recommended to me, AutoSound in Denton, TX so they deserves all the credit.

To answer you question the PPI amp is mounted to a board that the stereo shop fabricated & and covered in carpet. I believe there are some type of mounting points in the hull that the board is screwed into. On the JL Amp I belive it is just mounted with brackets to the front panel. When you get your boat there should be a free air kicker sub mounted in a board right where my batteries and JL amp are located & the shop removed it to make room for the new equipment.
Old     (tmorefi)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-16-2003, 12:40 PM Reply   
That helps, Thanks. I'll know more after I pick it up and take a good look underneath. Getting it tonight instead of Friday. Thanks again..
Old    whitechocolate            07-16-2003, 6:27 PM Reply   
Hey Jeff: Thanks for the Complements. For mounting your amps you can do it 3 ways
#1 you can glue a board to the hull and then mount your amp to that board ( thats the way I did my'n)
#2 You can have a Aluminum plate made that goes from the floor to the rub rail and bolt it directly to the rub rail and screw it to the floor. ( this is proabley the trickest way to do it)
#3 "Akia Man" Mounted his amps directly to the rub rail using the bolts that the rub rail uses. (this way seems easy and secure)
Im sure theres other ways to do it I even saw a guy Here on w/w who made a amp rack that didnt use and bolts or glue or screws that held his amps up under the Passengers side seat. Ill try to find you some photo's
Old    aaron_bell            07-16-2003, 7:16 PM Reply   
John,
I like your thinking on just using the stock head unit. Save a little cash flow and a lot headaches getting the old one out.

I'm wondering ow you wired the new amps and sub into the system. Did your stock unit have pre-amp outs that you just plugged into?

If not can you explain or help with just a small bit of detail?
Old    endo            07-16-2003, 7:26 PM Reply   
Here's what I did. I wanted everything to appear stock. The 10 is really the only thing that is obvious. btw, it doesn't sound stock...
amps
box
8's
Old    akman            07-16-2003, 8:19 PM Reply   
My sub is mounted under the observers seat in a closed box, the amps are mounted on an amp board that is thru bolted to the rub rail.

Stock Clarion deck
(2) 800 watt Crossfire amps 1 for the cockpit and one for the tower speakers.
(1) 600 watt dedicated Crossfire sub amp
(1) 12" Crossfire Pro Series sub
separate tower speaker control and sub control, and an equalizer to get it how I like it

Boss 530's and B60's on the tower, all speakers including the cockpit are MB Quartz. It is loud, really loud.....

I don't have any pictures of all the completed work but I will get some soon.
picture of the sub

Old    tclagggym            07-16-2003, 10:05 PM Reply   
I have almost completed my little stereo project. Here is what I have been working on. SAN 03 Kicker system upgrade.
On tower: Boss 530 cans w/alpine SPX-F17T components in them w/electronic X overs inside the cans,$800.00.
Sub: 12"Diamond M6 in custom box under pass. seat.
Made it portable, take out if need to,$300.00.
Amps: Kicker 600.1 to sub, Kicker 800.4 to tower and back 4 boat speakers,$500.00.
I had box made, and holes drilled, but I have done everything else.
Added extra batt. W/Perko switch, $75.00.
Sat in it tonight, in driveway, Priceless!
Old     (pjdave)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-16-2003, 10:14 PM Reply   
this is where we mounted one of our subs, the other (15") fills the whole front locker.

Old    wuneyewilly            07-16-2003, 10:16 PM Reply   
Hey Matt...are those twin Solobarics 8's or 10's? How much power do you have go to the pair? If you didnt have the other sub(s), how hard would just those 2 hit?

I am thinking of adding 4 8's to go w/ my 12. I dont have much room for what I am planning and could only fit 8's....
Old     (tmorefi)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-17-2003, 8:00 AM Reply   
Any of you guys put the subs or seen anybody put the subs in either of the back lockers? Seems like a reasonable place but haven't seen anybody do it.
Old     (tmorefi)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-17-2003, 8:09 AM Reply   
Also, for those of you who glued the board to the hull, what type of glue did you use? Also, I assume you removed the carpet and glued directly to the fiberglass but please confirm. Thanks again. I attached a pic of my baby that I picked up lastnight...
Old     (johns)      Join Date: Sep 2000       07-17-2003, 8:23 AM Reply   
Tmorefi,
Where's the pic?
Old     (tmorefi)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-17-2003, 9:06 AM Reply   
Another try..
Old     (tmorefi)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-17-2003, 9:07 AM Reply   
1 more..
Old    endo            07-17-2003, 6:54 PM Reply   
Willy, those are dual 8's. The height on them is perfect if you use 3/4 inch material. They hit hard if you have enough power to them. I like the fact that they are open to free air versus putting a sub under the clamshell seat where it is semi-inclosed, however, I've never heard one in that application. My setup has plenty of bass. I now have a kicker zr600 pushing the 2 8's and the 10. The 800.4 died on me. PLENTY of bass!
Old    tclagggym            07-19-2003, 5:57 PM Reply   
Here are my pics.

image/bmpsub
Cnv0023.bmp (99.7 k)

image/bmpsub2
Cnv0022.bmp (94.3 k)
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-19-2003, 10:29 PM Reply   
Tmorefi, just curious, what dealer did you get your boat from? I dig the colors.
Old     (tmorefi)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-20-2003, 7:21 AM Reply   
central valley marine in SJ, CA... Very good guys to work with, so far that is. Took the boat out for the first time yesterday, insane. Even more impressed now. I test drove just about everything out there and nothing compares. Just my opinion....
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-20-2003, 10:28 PM Reply   
We got ours about a month ago in sacto. We're stoked with the boat also. You must have got the last '03.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-21-2003, 1:00 AM Reply   
Tmorefi, I've got a 03 Sanger which I will be getting delivered soon, I've bought the stereo equipment and waiting for that to come too, anyway I've got 2x10's for the rear lockers & a 12 for the drivers feet so I'll try out the back locker sub idea soon. I haven't heard of anyone else using this location either but I'm sure someone has done it. Something else unique I've got cooking is a pair of 6x9's mounted on the tower firing down into the cockpit, with the subs in the boat I think it will sound good.
Old    hlboatsnboards            07-21-2003, 6:03 AM Reply   
I have done a few rear locker subs and depending on which way you fire the subs, it can really rock! I took a Calabria ProV and put a 15"JL inside each rear locker and fired them down in a sealed box. It had some super low sound, and you could feel it all over the boat. However when we faced it toward the back of the rear seat, it sounded a lot better! After that install we took a Calabria CalAir, the direct drive, and installed 10"JL w6v2's in the rear locker facing the outside of the boat in a sealed box. I will include the picture of this. This boat absolutely rocks the lake, however, i feel the compartment is to small for that much speaker. I have about 400 watts pushing each and it just rattles the shizzle out of that back lid and that lid has a nice latch with a rubber seal. I am probably going to take one 10 out and put it under the dash and redo the back compartment. Here is a pic of it.....Bill

Old     (tmorefi)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-01-2003, 9:00 AM Reply   
So I had an idea of building a sub box that fits right under the center bow cushion that covers the walkway. I think it would look pretty custom and factory. Anybody seen this before? Positives or negatives? Thanks.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-01-2003, 10:28 AM Reply   
my friend did that in his x10. it looks great. i have considered it, but my only concern is if water comes over the bow. i dont let that happen, but every now and then, another driver will.
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-02-2003, 8:18 AM Reply   
TMOREFI, I like your idea building a box to fit in the walk through, although pretty narry I don't know what size sub you could actually put in there but, you would have plenty of volume. Plus, it would look like the older Sport models which had the step up to bow area. If you build it low enough, you can sill put in your bow filler cushion.
I'm in the process of building a box like MATT(endo) but, it'll be behind the driver's seat and look exactly like the cooler on the other side. I've even ordered the cushion to fit on top. It'll be trick because it'll be about 2 cu ft with 4 cup holders and the cushion on top. I'll be essentially making the boat have the same seating arrangement as the older SAN.
I figure with 2 cu ft, I can put in two 10"

Chris
No Slip Gator Grip
www.wakejunky.com
Old    endo            08-03-2003, 7:20 PM Reply   
Chris, the only problem you will have is finding the space for a 10" sub. The height of your box won't be tall enough, if you make it the same height as the other seats. If you mount it firing down, the speaker will be too deep to be properly installed. If you angle it, there's still not enough room. That is, assuming that you get a decent sub with a big magnet structure. That's why I went with the square 8's in my box. Let us know what your plans are.

I've been wanting to do that too, but I've already got enough bass. How much are you paying for the seat cushion? That's another reason why I haven't done it.
Old     (tmorefi)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-03-2003, 7:35 PM Reply   
Chris, that is a great idea. I also want to know how much you are paying for that cushion. I think I'm going to try the sub under the bow cushion idea this week. I found a 10" bass tube that I think will fit under the cushion. Gonna throw one of my JL's in there and see how it works out. Still need someplace to put my other 2 10's though. Probably go with one in each of the rear lockers firing towards the front. Been riding for the last 3 weeks without any bass and it's killing me.....
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-05-2003, 6:55 AM Reply   
I'll have to see how it sounds. I have some pretty effecient 10" from Dayton only require .35 sealed and .6 ported for the enclosure. I've got the box construction pretty much done and I did a real measurement on the volume and I'm at .75 for each chamber. I'll have to see how it sounds but, I'm not too picky on my stereo stuff.
As for the cushion, I work for CC so, I'll be getting it at cost.

Chris
No Slip Gator Grip
www.wakejunky.com
Old     (tmorefi)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-05-2003, 7:39 AM Reply   
You must be the Chris I talked to and bought the Gator Grip from 2 weeks ago for my new SAN in San Jose. When are you going to take some pics of all the gator you put on your trailer and boat?
Old    endo            08-05-2003, 5:18 PM Reply   
Chris, can you post some pics to show us how you're fitting a 10" in that box? And what's cost on that cushion?
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-05-2003, 7:14 PM Reply   
I've been meaning to update the web page but, I've been pretty busy lately.
As for the cost on the cushion, I got it at cost so, I can't say without burning some bridges and we all know how important bridges are in this industry.

Chris
No Slip Gator Grip
www.wakejunky.com