Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 24, 2008

Old     (caseman1322)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-19-2008, 9:33 AM Reply   
I'm wanting to put on a rail jam at my shop this summer but paying a company to come out and build it is way out of my budget right now. I know their not hard to build but does anybody know where I can find a good set of plans or specs for a good rail/pool set up, and if you ever done this before do you have any advice.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-19-2008, 10:05 AM Reply   
make sure you have a 40-50ft starting pool and at least a 50 ft landing pool. 2ft deep or deeper is cool. dont let the rail (if it has a down part) go all the way into the landing pool. it makes it harder to come off the rail, especially for wakeskates because it makes you keep going down.

you should probably not do a ride on rail about a 6 inch ollie is good.

for rails:
if youre building an A frame dont make it too steep(makes it slow going up) and make sure its gapable.
An incline gap to flat bar is a good idea but requires a deeper landing pool because the drop should be abuot 5 ft or so. instead of a traditional flat bar you could put it on an angle for wall rideish tricks

if you are going to have wakeskaters ride in it make sure you have a rail they can do tricks off of.
Incline rails are great and the possiblities are limitless. just dont make it too steep because if its too steep when you hit the water you just bounce off the board and no tricks wil be landed. its pretty boring as a wakeskater to hit a long rollercoaster wakeboard rail.
Old     (caseman1322)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-19-2008, 10:32 AM Reply   
Awesome advice, lets keep it coming... I'm totally pumped about building this now.
Old     (wakinbakin)      Join Date: Sep 2004       01-19-2008, 3:54 PM Reply   
The shop I work at puts one on at boat show. We brought in a bunch of guys from Muskoka Militia to build it and they made the pools out of wood and then lined them with what they called pool liners which were basically big thick sheets of plastic. We also did a 3 city traveling rail jam and here's the vid from that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnrHDAaUjKc
Old     (wkbrd)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-20-2008, 10:01 AM Reply   
Mitch Why not a ride on?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-21-2008, 9:18 AM Reply   
Jim T, you should be able to do an ollie on if you are entering a rail competition.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-21-2008, 10:17 AM Reply   
Talk to the guys at Etco Marine in Visalia, CA. They put on a rail jam at their shop (Mid Cal Mud Slide) and they have done a pretty good job at it.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-21-2008, 3:29 PM Reply   
Another thing that you should do, is a flat part off to the side of the rail(s) that riders can easily negotiate if the winch pull is off, or something is mesed up.

Never under-estimate how many hay bails you will need. Riders can fly out at any moment, and those are life savers.
Old     (mikemcmill)      Join Date: May 2002       01-22-2008, 11:41 AM Reply   
i would say your life would be a whole lot easier to pay someone who knows what they are doing. It is very easy for someone to get hurt at a rail jam, and water is more difficult to contain than it looks. Plus if you want it up for more than a day, you have a lot more work on your hands, than sometimes you realize.
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-22-2008, 1:06 PM Reply   
http://www.ridinrails.com/

Call Brain Sasser, They do a good job.....Upload
Old     (caseman1322)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-22-2008, 1:59 PM Reply   
that is actually who I was gonna call if we don't do it ourselves.
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-22-2008, 5:59 PM Reply   
Cason,

I work for Sasser and Ridin Rails so let me know if you have any questions about the rail setup.

Andrew
Old     (caseman1322)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-22-2008, 6:40 PM Reply   
actually I sent somebody an email asking for a quote and never heard back. I'm sure yall are pretty busy booking stuff for the summer this time of year. If I could maybe get a price range for what you charge that would be awesome. my email is shoptantrum@hotmail.com.
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-22-2008, 8:33 PM Reply   
This is one from Pomona Ca. It's always good.Upload
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-25-2008, 6:59 AM Reply   
Cason--Forwarded that on, should be hearing from him soon. Go ahead and send me an email at sasserwakeboardschool@gmail.com and I'll make sure you get what you are looking for. -Andrew