Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old    cizzy            07-19-2004, 12:58 PM Reply   
OK, I'm really starting to get comfortable with my setup, but still having difficulty crossing the wake ... any suggestions on correct stance? Also any tips on making it easier to keep hands near my hips? I am used to skiing so usually keep my hands too high which seems to trip me up at the wake (or at least that's how it looks on video) . thanks

(Message edited by cizzy on July 19, 2004)

(Message edited by cizzy on July 19, 2004)
Old    awsometwelve            07-19-2004, 1:18 PM Reply   
O.K. Im not that good at Wakeboarding either but how do you usually try to cross the wake.
Old    crash_and_burn            07-19-2004, 1:23 PM Reply   
ya,, make sure your bindings are not turned out. Have them pointed straight. If you waterskiied u will have a tendency to want to bring your hips around, by having the bindings in a neutral position that will help. Next, keep your back straight (up) and don't bend over. That will help keep the handle at your hips, oh, make sure u grip the handle with Both plams down,, not like a waterski grip. Keep the weight over the bindings and remember to slightly bend your front knee. Sounds like u are too straight legged and are riding on the back leg. Finally, Don't flatten out before the wake, start a easy turn and progressevly edge harder until u get to the wake, most people pull really hard at the benginning, then flatten out before the wake and blow right on thru it, that bucks u forwad, the body posture goes to hell and the rope is way out in fromt of u and u never will get from wake to wake. good luck
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-19-2004, 1:24 PM Reply   
post the video.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-19-2004, 2:37 PM Reply   
why do you say "make sure your bindings are not turned out" ?
I know everyone has their own style, but i always have both bindings ducked out a little. It is more comfortable when riding regular and swithced... Any newbie i take out always learns that way.
its more natural to have your feet ducked out a little... most people when sitting in a chair and have their feet ducked out on the ground
Old    krotch05            07-19-2004, 3:44 PM Reply   
I just changed my stance a week or go. I moved my bindings out a little more like a little more than shoulder width apart and I felt 100 times more more solid on the board and i could get a lot better pop. I geuss i have no idea if that will help you out at all but it might i geuss. goodluck
Old    crash_and_burn            07-19-2004, 4:04 PM Reply   
If u skate board or had never waterskied before then a more wakeboard friendly stance is ok and I will not disagree with any of u, but for skiiers, and not only am I one, I swim and palyed waterpolo, so I walk like a duck. keeping the stance nuetral helps the hips to point squarly at the boat, or forward, or whatever u wnt to call it. By ducking your feet out, and being a waterskier, it then becomes very easy to slide your hips around when u don't want them to. Try whatever foot forward u are, duck out your feet, you will feel the back hip wanting to turn around. Now place your feet "neutral" and forward, keeping your front hip facing the boat, when you would jump now, the back foot will not rotate around and slide out. As a boarder gets more comfortable with the stance and ride then they can work on the ducking out. Also,, unless the board is too big for u Josh, and or u are maybee riding a Parks VRS a a Belmont, or something like it then a narrower stance for a Parks would work, it changes to a more centered graviaty and is easier to turn, other boards, ie premiers, belmonts will handle a good wide stance. Try comming into the wake on edge, as u approach, go flat and then major pop off the back foot
Old    epsilon_zero            07-19-2004, 5:21 PM Reply   
The best tip I got for crossing the wake was to pretend it wasn't there. Before that, I always tried to do something "special" to get through, which ended badly every time.

(Message edited by epsilon zero on July 19, 2004)
Old    cizzy            07-20-2004, 4:22 PM Reply   
Tom - Thanks a ton! I went out the night I posted this and your points were really helpful, I feel so much more in control. Didn't have an allen wrench w me so couldn't change the boots, but definitly will because I did better but still had issues trying to keep my hips turned right.

Mike - you're right ... once I got more comfortable and ignored the wake everything was gravy

J-Rod - wish I could post the video but it's not my camera and dude doesn't have a cord he needs ... we also taped my ride yesterday and the difference is amazing ... it's so awesome how you can step it up every time you get on the water!

Now I just gotta start working on switch , I'm thinking it's a good idea to work on that consistantly as I'm learning so that it isn't so unnatural ... mind telling me what worked best for you guys?