Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2003

Old     (sae4life)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-15-2003, 1:31 PM Reply   
I just checked out the ticket prices for Boardstock this year- 20 bucks per person plus parking for your car or boat. For a group of 6 on a boat for both days its $220 just to watch. What a rip off!!!! What happened to the days when everyone tied up at Shasta and had fun? I might be going out on a limb here but i think this event has turned into another get rich quick sceme for the promoters. Have fun you won't see my crew there this year.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-15-2003, 2:03 PM Reply   
start a renegade event where everyone ties up their boats at shasta
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-15-2003, 3:49 PM Reply   
I'm not sure if i'm goig either... I mean most people go to tower park, which now has nothing to do with Boardstock, plus seems that a lot of rif raf found out about it and they show up and cause problems...
Old    jarrod_holley            08-15-2003, 5:23 PM Reply   
h/o... wouldnt $20 x 6 ppl = $120 x 2 = $240?
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-15-2003, 8:14 PM Reply   
I hear what you mean. At a boat show a year ago a <boat> rep said that they almost don't go because they can't make any money. Granted it is an event but, it used to be a grass roots hang out with pros, wakeboard, party and have a good time. Now it's all about the money.

Chris
No Slip Gator Grip
www.wakejunky.com
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-16-2003, 3:55 AM Reply   
Im thinking that is why they didnt have the stop at pensacola this year. They were having it at a park where it was free for everyone to get in and then handing checks to the pros, i wasnt sure how long that was going to fly, well i guess till this year?? That does suc since it was started by tha masses and now the "MAN" has taken it over to make a buck??
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-18-2003, 8:57 AM Reply   
Ok, ok Now quit your bitchen:

Your lucky Rob even still puts on this event. The Use permits, cost of the multi million dollar liability policy thats required that costs him thousands of dollars and hassle they put him through hardly makes it worthwhie. He certtinly isn"t make a huge profit. Getting sponsers to step up in these tough economic times is a chore in itself. Hell Were lucky Stockton is so willing to allow this type of event.

Simple either pay to go or dont. But if you dont the event will either move out of state where insurance is cheaper or it will fade away when he cant recoup the overhead.

Not trying to start a war here but please consider the business side of putting together and event like this.

Peace:
Rick
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-18-2003, 10:45 AM Reply   
was it originally an 'event' or a 'planned convergence'

just curious. I was gonna go a couple years ago but funding dried up.
Old     (sae4life)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-18-2003, 2:38 PM Reply   
Rick,

Spent 2 days at the X-games this weekend for a total cost of 10 dollars. I'm not saying that this should be free but nothing i have attended this years is even remotely as expensive including the pro tour stops. Obviously there is some benefit to the promoters in putting this "event" on if it is as much work as you descibe. I know i wouldn't go through that much BS for nothing.

As a past boardstocker( hehe good word) at both Shasta and Stockton I understand that the event has changed a lot. I just wanted to enjoy another year and not go broke because of it. Hell if Rob or anyone connected with boardstock wants to add a post with why they think boardstock is worth attending at this price then i would love to hear their view. Until then i don't see how you can justify charging $20 a head?
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-18-2003, 5:01 PM Reply   
Rob Stimmel is the promoter, He's friends with David Williams so we might get a response with his thoughts.

Espn is huge, so id imagine it's far easier for them to get sponsers to step up with the $$. Also Espn might not have to pay as big $$ for insurance as they probably have a master policy that does many events.

I too have attended the past 2 boardstock events @ Stockton and felt they were very weel organized and actually a very mello crowd at the event itself. Never did Shasta but have heard stories.