Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Squid)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-22-2012, 8:51 AM Reply   
When we purchased our Tige R20 we played with the wake, fell in love, tweaked it a little and surfed. This last vacation allowed us to really dig into what this 20 foot boat can do.

Setup #1
Lets start with the existing setup:
(600lbs surf side aft)
(400lbs bow)
(270lbs sack under surf side seat. this sack compensated for people ballast when its just the three of us)
(250lbs non surf side hard tank fill only
(taps at 2)
(speed at 10.2 - 10.4)

This is a fun wake. the Transition is smooth, the lip is clean and it provides lots of push but the pocket was lacking room for bigger riders and would close up on them in choppy waters (Colorado ponds). Filling the hard tank on the non surf side is kinda an art do to the lack of Tige's touch system. I would fill the tank tell the surf bag started to fill then empty the tank as we surfed tell the lip cleaned up. Note: I still have to do this to date. I tried timing it coming up with 2min but you still need to fine tune it if your a freak like me. Taps at 1-2 keeps the bow down and you can see for miles. The engines not working hard improving fuel consumption and the wake forms really fast. With speeds closer to the 10mph rang makes it easier for the new surfer in your family to build confidence and prepare them for the next level quickly (as you all can see with my son Ben on Facebook/squidswake or youtube).

Now lets talk prop wash, deck wash or just plain old water splashing. The R20/RZR is a smaller narrower hull and cuts into the water like a knife not displacing as much water like its bigger RZ brothers. with that it provides a condition I like to call "boiling" just behind the swim deck. This water is coming from three different direction and are all meeting in the same place throwing water into the air. I have added a Surf flap similar to Wake9's Z3 that I saw during the WCWO. It works..well....more info to come as I am still playing with different setups and configurations. At these slower speeds the boat sinks down some and just the edge of the swim deck cuts into the wake. I don't have this issue as I have a Z3 swim deck and it was no lip on the under side. The only idea to fix this from my point of view is to get a Z3 platform like me or move on to setup #2!

Setup #2

This is so simple its crazy...I just add 370 lbs surf side bow, speed at 11, taps at 7 (7-11 get it ha ha). This is my current setup and its fun.
Now I tried everything you could think of: no non surf side weight, empty gas tank, half gas tank and sack locations. At one point we almost hung a sack off the side of the tower. This is what I have found that works good for me driving the boat in a straight line, No turning, no crazy wight and the 370 upfront will be stowed away soon and plugged in. At 11mph the swim deck is all but out of the water not touching anything but I'm going to assume you'll have the "Boiling" to content with. my 343 PCM motor worked a little harder as the taps is almost fully engaged. The bow is higher but Mrs. Squid could still see over the dash in the bolster down position.

As you can see the speed has opened up the sweet spot 10 fold and the taps position has increased the size of the wake in general. This is double the energy (push) and its not as steep has you would think. Both pics are taken from the same camera, same location.

Of course we're never done playing and experimenting. I will continue to play with this boat as it seems to just keep surprising me.

Keep surfing!
Old     (Squid)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-22-2012, 9:35 AM Reply   
Little more of Ben.
Old     (Squid)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-22-2012, 8:30 PM Reply   

left to right after our testing in beautiful Lake Navajo Colorado.